Got Call of Duty 4 for Christmas

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by mandingo, Dec 27, 2007.

1. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Great COD4 thread at footballguys.com , one of my 3 favorite boards (1: Hornfans, 2: SpeedTv.com F1 forum, 3: footballguys.com).

Lots of good tips in there.

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Just completed the sniper mission on Hardened.

That wasn't hard or anything.... [​IMG].... [​IMG]

3. Horny04

Horny04 100+ Posts

Danno, I keep seeing you online and attempting to join your games, but it fails about 80% of the time. Why's that? Anyway, I didn't do too bad when I actually did play with you. I can bust a positive K[​IMG] ratio lately if I play carefully. This is my first console shooter after being a heavy PC shooter back in the day...

Anyway can someone compile a list of all the people who put their names up for the PSN? K thx. [​IMG]

4. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

If I recall correctly you did really well when we played to together...props.

As for failing to connect, I'm not sure what the issue was...one of the times when we were in a party together I tried to take us into a HC S&D Match, but you didn't enter the room, so I backed out and lost you. I'm thinking maybe your rank wouldn't let you in? Sorry about that...

As for the other times, this weekend was lousy for connections and getting into matches. I'm not sure whether the lack of NFL pushed a bunch of folks online or what was going on, but it seemed like every other match I was in the Host Ended/ timed out or I got connection errors. I noticed last night in a match that me and V were in 4 of the six folks on our team timed out during the match, and I think the same thing was happening to the other team, because we ended up in a draw.

Hopefully we can catch up sometime this week. I've got to head to Austin on business so I won't be able to get my fix, Tues. PM, but should be on for an hour or every other night.

[​IMG] Danno

5. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

In reply to:

6. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

[/Lumbergh/] Thanks Snives...but we were kind of hoping for an alphabetized list, broken out by time spent "in game"...if you could just bang that out for us, it would be just great..maybe you could do that this Saturday...BTW, have you seen the new cover sheet for the TPS report....[/Lumbergh] j/k [​IMG]

Thanks for the listing...

[​IMG] Danno

7. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

8. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

I guess I didn't add my PSN to the thread when posting eariler....

UT_owns_you
    (GG, TOY)

Does anyone besides Danno have a K/D above 1?

9. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

0.78 and climbing.

Slowly.

Most of the time I'm around break-even or better now.

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I got claymores tonight... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

I had a ****** night... K/D dropped 3 hundredths of a point. I'm supposed to be getting better, not worse!

Accordingly, I switched to Halo and dominated. [​IMG]

12. STLHornFan

STLHornFan 25+ Posts

I saw you on Firing Squad [​IMG]

My tag is Solar

13. someone

someone 250+ Posts

14. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

15. Horny04

Horny04 100+ Posts

Snives, I kept trying to play w/ you but the damn thing rarely works.

Yesterday I was playing on and off for my study breaks. I would play one round then turn the ps3 off. Earlier I had one of my best rounds ever (I've only logged ~5 hrs of online play due to limited time...come march I will go nuts) and I went 11-4, got a 5 kill streak, leveled up.

I'm working on gaining the red dot sights for all my SMGs and assault rifles. It's weird though, I did best using the M16 even with it's crappy burst fire. The AK is spotty for me, and so far the M4 hasn't treated me well.

16. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

I realize that when I play during the daytime, the comptetition is much higher. Seems like the real pros are out there. I'm now a level 45. I'm debating whether to use the martyrdom or deeper impact perk. depending on map, I'll either use the russian sniper (drakonov sp??) M4 combo or the M60/P90 combo for smaller maps. This is very addicting.

As for playing H3, Its weird playing it now that I'm esconced in COD4. Seems cartoonish.

17. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

GarCiaRia, I take it you've picked up the Overkill perk. Man, I'm still waiting for that.

As for the Martyrdom vs Deeper Impact, I was really looking fwd to Martyrdom and tried it for a while, but didn't get many kills. Most people are just too quick. I like the deep impact + stopping power. Pretty devastating.

As usual, though, your mileage may vary.

18. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

Yea, got the overkill and use it on almost all of the classes i've set up. I'm ditching the martyrdom in place of deeper impact. I've experimented with most of the perks. Its a pick your poison thing because inevitably, your choice is what gets you killed. I used to use the juggernaut, but switch to overkill to use the other weapon. Then you go head to head with someone that's using the juggernaut perk and you go down while you see the little red/white plus sign pop up on them.

I just set the Iron Lungs perk on one of my sniper classes. Since I don't snipe much, don't know if its worth the trade off for deeper impact.

This game to me is like playing golf. I'll dominate one game, then come in last the next. Its that radical inconsistency that has me hittin' the links (ala firing up the 360) to "work" on my game [​IMG]

19. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

20. chillywillywall

chillywillywall 100+ Posts

so has anyone heard about cod4 fuckin up their ps3? i play cod4 and madden and now my ps3 wont read the disks. im sending it back but i went on some gamer forums to try and find out what could be wrong with it and they were talking about how alot of them are only playing cod4 and now their ps3 wont work.
    anyone else have this problem?

21. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Doesn't sound like much of a causal relation has been established.

22. VinnyVango

VinnyVango 25+ Posts

Martyrdom is only good if you are a run-n-gunner that has a knack of running into rooms containing the enemy and getting your *** shot off in close-quarters shoot-outs... otherwise, you tend to end up killing more of your teammates with it than the enemy... just my opinion

23. Turd of Doom

Turd of Doom 250+ Posts

1.31 and climbing i think

24. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

I find that casually lobbing grenades works quite a bit....based on the replay of most of my deaths!!! So I make it a point to now empty out my grenates and claymores first then get to shooting. Nothing like blindly lobbing a grenade and seeing the +20 pop up. This is best done on that dark ship map.

25. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

As far as perks go, I really wish there were more slots to build perk packages. I seem to never have enough options to do exactly what i want. I've started using UAV jammer on all my packages, and that has definitely helped my k/d ratio. the silencer + uav jammer is awesome when the other team is really good and well organized. they will often overlook you on the map and run right by, since at no point do you register.

for me, the real dilemma has been between silencer/red dot/scope. i always wind up wishing i had a scope in larger levels, but when i do equip one, i get killed in smaller rooms. i mostly play domination, which is a lot of setting up shop and waiting to be attacked.

26. HookemDanno

HookemDanno 100+ Posts

GarCiaRia, your post about grenades made me LOL...that **** has happened to me @ least a dozen times in the last four days. Especially on Crash in HC mode.

Luckily, I got in a groove last night with Stro and we actually were getting great K/D ratios and winning matches. Sorry V about not jumping out but we really got into a groove...I sent you a couple of invites, but I guess you got locked out.

As for the Claymores, I love those things almost as much as my dog. I got my K/d ratio up by using claymores, UAV blocker and dead silence. Those accompanied with the silenced M16/ M4, both are highly accurate which leads to more kills more quickly. That and I've started being more aggressive.

I tried to start playing more like Someone, Stro and V...that seemed to make all the difference in the world. There was a great article about the multiplayer level design in this month's GameInformer that kind of laid out their philosophy on matches and what makes this game like electronic crack...in fact...I've got the shakes right now from being out of town on business with no way to play...

Anyone got any thoughts on Prestige mode? Is it worth, do you get to keep your k/d ratio, etc.?

[​IMG] Danno

27. DeepEastTexas

DeepEastTexas 25+ Posts

First off, outstanding thread. [​IMG]

Secondly, I was prompted to post due to one of the worst gamers I have played with. Last night, some jerk named RavenFire89 would not turn off his microphone. He had some f'ing boy band music going on in the background that drowned out the entire team conversation and made the gaming experience less than desireable. Trying to mute his *** during gameplay cost me a couple of kills and two deaths. THANKS JERK OFF!

28. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

I'm going to have to try this silenced method. I love the martyrdom on everything but my sniper set. My 3 favorite classes now (w/ everything unlocked) are:

1:
    Barrett 50 cal.
    Desert Eagle
    Flash
    Claymore
    Stopping Power
    Iron Lungs

M14
    DE
    Flash
    FragX3
    Double Tap
    Martyrdom

G36C
    DE
    Flash
    FragX3
    Juggernaut
    Martyrdom

If you are a good sniper, that 50 cal w/ the stopping power is one hell of a weapon.

29. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

30. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

Great stuff again. Seems like I look forward to the daily updates on this thread than any other thread on HF!!!

I ran into the "N" word white guy last night about 3 times. Its not the fact that every other word is the "N" word, its that he wouldn't shut the f**k up during game play. Talkin' all gansta about killing somebody. I ran into this dude (not the same dude, but the same type) 3 times last night. Funny thing is, he was an average player at best.

As an adult with a couple of kids and a whole lot of other stuff I should be doing, my time playing COD4 is very valuable. I don't want to waste it dealing with hosers like this. Before I started playing COD4, I pretty much quit using the headset while playing H3 because of the same issue. [​IMG]

Thanks for the class listing above. Good ideas. I don't have the Barrett .50 cal, but can do the others. I finally opened up the M14 last night... Geesh.. awesome! I never really picked it up before but it's powerful.