Grammar question

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by chango, Apr 27, 2011.

1. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Is it incorrect to say "I am having to send a request" instead of "I have to send a request" ?

Also, is that a particular type of tense or is it just a butchering of other tenses? I've searched online for this and come up empty. [​IMG]

2. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I am certainly no expert on this but I think the "I am having to" form involves an action that takes place over time, such as "I am having to evaluate all of the high school afoletes for purposes of offering scholarships." You are needing to complete a one time action so I think "I have to" becomes more correct. If this is not correct it won't surprise me.

3. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't know if either is incorrect, but "I am having to" is an awkard sounding construction. You should try to avoid forms of "to be" when possible when writing, in favor of stronger action verbs. I don't know the context of the sentence, but maybe something like " I need to request" information on...would sound better. Keep it simple and direct.
    I would jettison the "am having to" except in informal speaking and writing, like on an internet site.
    Really, just say..."I need information on..." Something to that effect.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

5. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the replies.

accurate, I agree with you. I'm the one telling someone they shouldn't write emails like that and they seem to think there's nothing wrong with it. I know it sounds like ***, just looking for proof I can show my co worker.

6. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

"I am having to send a request"

Yeah, that is incorrect. Big time.

7. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

I am thinking she is a wirgin...or at least she used to be

8. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

9. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I must send a request.

10. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Depends on the context of the OP's situation, but what is wrong with "I request" or "Please"?

11. accuratehorn

Who is forcing you to send the freakin' request? Is there someone with a gun pointed at this person?
    How about "I request..."
    How about "I got's to know..."

12. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

HA! Beat you by a minute.

13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I am having to send a request

Works great at the Kwik-e-Mart - as long as your name is Apu.

14. accuratehorn

Everything depends on the context-the wording would be perfect if the sentence reads..."I have to make a request-does anyone here speak jive?"