Grilling Onions,etc.

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by The Creature, Mar 9, 2009.

1. The Creature

The Creature 100+ Posts

I've come to enjoy grilling sliced onions and button mushrooms while the meat is on the fire, especially when I'm making fajitas. I soak them in olive oil and give them a dash of seasoned salt, usually. I even throw on the occasional poblano or bunch of jalapenos.

the only problerm is that all of these foods have a tendency to fall down into the coals and generally be a pain in the *** to manipulate without losing half of what you started with.

I was wondering if they made some sort of chicken wire -esque rack or screen specifically for grilling these smaller items over charcoal. Any suggestions?

2. HornOnTheBayou

HornOnTheBayou 250+ Posts

3. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

I use something like this:

[​IMG]

4. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

skewers

5. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

6. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I wrap mine in aluminum foil.

7. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

Wrap in aluminum foil. Put each vegetable in a separate pouch, since they cook at different rates.

8. mrtoddzo

mrtoddzo 25+ Posts

I use aluminum foil as well.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Instead of wrapping veggies, I lay aluminum foil flat on the grill and poke a bunch of holes in it. Works just dandy.

10. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

They make and inexpensively sell vegetable grilling baskets all over the place. Home Depot, Lowes, Bed, Bath and Beyond, HEB, any BBQ outlet come to mind. Their probably aren't very many places that sell grills that don't sell the baskets. Foil cooks vegetables just fine on the grill, but sealed foil (even with holes poked in it) won't impart any flavor to the onions or vegetables that doesn't get put in the foil. You may as well use the oven for sealed foil. I personally like vegetables done that way in the oven OR on the grill so I don't have any dogs in any fights.

11. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

12. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

What all vegetables does everyone cook on the grill?

13. hook1997

hook1997 25+ Posts

Foil then the juices stay and don't drain out like the other items. foil butter and lemon is the way to go for fish on the grill.