Grimaldi's Pizza is coming to Dallas

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Jive_Turkey, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Sweet.

2. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Excellent -- now you people can wait in line for mediocre pizza.

Ok sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade.

3. evil horn

evil horn 100+ Posts

4. HookemHrns03

HookemHrns03 100+ Posts

Grimaldi's is definitely my favorite pizza in NY.

I heard a rumor they're also opening one in San Antonio and Houston.

5. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

Grimaldi's as far from mediocre and will ***** slap whatever local pie you have. (although they better import the NY water)

the only Dallas pizza worth a damn is the Egyptian.

6. UTinBigD

UTinBigD 250+ Posts

a little place I like to go when in NYC for some authentic pie.
    [​IMG]

7. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

Grimaldi's is ******* amazing. Far from mediocre.

8. Iconoclast Texan

Iconoclast Texan 250+ Posts

Grimaldi's is alright. I am not a huge fan of the wood fired pizza. I'll take Original Rays on 6th Ave in the Village (the real one not the franchisey one) any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

9. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

The one in Houston is going to be in Sugar Land.

10. Iconoclast Texan

Iconoclast Texan 250+ Posts

Unless they plan on trucking NYC tap water to make the dough, it will not be like the real thing. NYC tap water is great quality and that is why you can't get good bagels, pizza and bread in Texas.

11. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

i welcome them and look forward to trying the pizza, only 5 min from my place. sure, it won't be as good as the NYC product, but it has to be as good or better than whatever we already have. thanks for posting the story.

12. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

There's actually plenty of good authentic New York pie shops in Dallas. Heck, there are multiple in the immediate area they'll be competing in. Its not a slam dunk they will even be the best along McKinney Ave.

13. Agent007

Agent007 250+ Posts

1. That is across the street from me.

2. I just moved to Dallas from NYC and though I think John's is better than Grimaldi's, I will frequent Grimaldi's Dallas if its even close to the NYC one.

3. The oven are coal fired not wood fired as someone said above

4. Campania is also excellent pizza.

14. Spankytoes

Spankytoes 100+ Posts

Sorry, but Ray's is the best pizza in NY!

15. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

16. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

the satellite locations of campisi's are inedible. are they even the same ownership?

17. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

18. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

This whole NYC thing, where the pizza is already made under heat lamps, and then they warm your slice up in the oven...just not that great.

I prefer the Chicago-style, or sometimes the Sicilian square.

19. evil horn

evil horn 100+ Posts

20. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Hey -- it's good pizza, but come on..is it really worth standing in line for thirty minutes????

There are plenty of places to get a pie that aren't the heat lamp varieties.

21. someone

someone 250+ Posts

"This whole NYC thing, where the pizza is already made under heat lamps, and then they warm your slice up in the oven...just not that great."

Jesus. You have no idea what NY pizza is. [​IMG]

22. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

John's on Bleeker (sp?) is my favorite NYC pizza joint. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Maybe Grimaldi's can get the city to adjust the pH levels of the water. I know some pizza joint in Houston does that so that the water is more similar to that in NYC.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Chicago style pizza, but after having Giordano's on my last two visits, I'm a convert.

23. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

24. Spankytoes

Spankytoes 100+ Posts

Lou Malnati's Butter Crust Chicago Style...

I'd trade my wife for one now.

25. someone

someone 250+ Posts

John's on Bleeker
    Lombardis

Look for a pizza joint that's been around for more than 50 years. Those are the good ones and those are the ones that probably still have a coal oven which is what NY pizza is.

26. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

You can't really find any good food in midtown -- it's all chains and tourist trap places.

Get downtown and/or to Brooklyn for some authentic stuff.

27. Soul Glo

Soul Glo 25+ Posts

this...this is good news

28. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

29. clandestine

clandestine 25+ Posts

Some of the best pizza I ever ate was under the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm pumped up about this.

30. Horny04

Horny04 100+ Posts

Grimaldi's is good... But I honestly have a hard time distinguishing good pizza from great pizza. I think that it's easier to figure out if pizza is "bad" than good.

However, great pizza, in my opinion, is Giardano's in Chicago. That would be sweet if we could get some of those in Texas.

Dammit now I'm hungry.