H1N1 Really Sucks

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by lostman, Sep 10, 2009.

1. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Going on day 4 of being sick, day 3 of being home from work. It started on Sunday with what I thought were allergy symptoms, and increased on Monday so much that I was totally wiped out. Fever started Monday afternoon and was up to 102 very quickly. Fever stayed at 102+ through Wednesday afternoon when it finally started to come down. Today it hovers around 99-100 with little dips to normal.

My abdomen hurts from coughing, my diet since Monday has consisted of Gatorade, ginger ale, water, pretzles and crackers. I don't even want to eat. The worst part of it allthough has been this gawdawful headache that is finally lessening today. Even Tylenol did not help it.

I have a dr appt today, they said it most likely is H1N1 since there are no other flus really active right now. I get a flu shot every year and have for about 10 years. If I get the flu it is really mild and easily managable. They can not develop a vaccine for this one fast enough. If you don't get a flu shot, at least thing abouut gettnig this one. This flu has been the pits!

2. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

That sucks! I'm waiting for my turn... but so far it hasn't really broken out at my campus. One of our feeder middle schools has it bad though, so it's only a matter of time.

3. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

So far I am the only teacher at my school and a couple kids we think. The incubation period, acc to my doc, is short. You are most contagious right before fever breaks out and usually show symptoms within 2 days after exposure. I just have no clue from whom or where I could have picked it up. Even though I am around the kids, it's not like I go around high fiving my kids. In fact I make a point to ask them if they washed hands first when they try to "homeboy" handshake this old white lady! [​IMG] Yeah that usually kills it!

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Really sorry to hear this. Get better soon, ya dig?

You mentioned allergy symptoms. Were they itchy eyes, sneezing or congestion and headache? All the above? I am thinking of keeping some "sick" food on hand just in case. Stuff like chicken noodle soup, crackers, juice, soda to let go flat, honey and tea, salt free pretzels and oranges. I know if I get sick I am not going to want to go to the store nor have anybody around me.

I hope I don't get it, I am sure I probably will.

5. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Sunday afternoon, Monday morning I had itchy, burning eyes, congestion, and a headache. I took some sinus meds Monday morning, but by the afternoon felt way worse. I am sure my temp was already climbing, I just did not take it until late Monday afternoon/evening. It was 102 by then. This morning it is still hanging on at 99.6 after waking up.

That is a good idea to stock up. I don't let the soda go flat, but I drink it over ice about 1/2 can at a time, so it sort of fizzles out. So - you know what you like to eat when you are sick, stock up. You'll eat it anyway at some point. Most of it does not go bad. Losthubby bought cans of chicken soup, but for some reason I could not stomach the idea of that. I think the canned soup tasted too fatty or something, because I had egg noodles and some heated chicken broth for lunch, so not much different.

This flu will knock you out for 5 days easily if you are fairly healthy. I could only imagine what it would do to someone not as healthy. Scary.

6. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Whoa, wake up call around my home.

Hope you got that crap going your way.
    I'm going to make a point to put the hand sanitizer right next to the car keys.... RIGHT NOW!
    because I may be due for catching this crud, havn't had the flue in a long, long, looong-time.

But have read web articles on this flu, thru the summer, and it is quite scary. Apparently this rainy weather favors transmission (as opposed to the drought - so who knows what the next few weeks has in store for us).

lostman, just curious, and not to pry too much.... are you over 40 or < 40? (I'm over).

Get well quick.

7. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

No problem 14tokihorn - just a hair over 50 here, and in pretty good health, When I went to my doc Thursday, we figured I was probably exposed Satuday, maybe Friday, but none of my students have been out with flu last week, so Sat seemed more likely. Baseball fields and the lovely so not clean restroom facilities are my guess. They were out of soap and I did not have hand sanitizer. Yeah, not good.

I have done flu shots for years, and will swear by them! This one caught me totally out of the blue. And no one else we know has had it, so I am really trying to warn/enlighten everyone! The mania from last spring was a bit much, but it is a really nasty form of flu.

I am so glad I did not get this last spring however. I would have been banned from school for 2 weeks at least. It was bad enough sitting in the dr office with a face mask. Talk about feeling like the town pariah! Although it was the right thing to do, seeing as they had a big sign saying if you had a cough or flu symptoms to please ask for one. But it was surprising how many people stared and steered clear of where I was sitting. [​IMG]

8. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

My daughter had it last week. She's a teenage and plays soccer at least three times, sometimes four times per week. She's in great shape but it kicked her butt for 3-4 days. She literally could do nothing. She couldn't eat anything. She was never in any "danger" so to speak, but it was much tougher on her than I thought it would be.