Hall is confusing me!!

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by FBTxEx, Jun 29, 2012.

1. FBTxEx

FBTxEx 25+ Posts

Hall said that with his family still on the West coast, playing at Texas was something that had been growing less and less appealing.

"That's the only reason I'm decommitting, because it's pretty far from my family," he said.

Hall said he is now considering Notre Dame, Washington, Oregon, USC and Texas A&M, and that he'll keep Texas in the mix as well.

EXCUSE ME BUT ND AND aggie. When did they relocate closer to Washington? These kids open their mouths and nonsense spews.

2. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

[​IMG] I agree. No sense to this. Let him go. No need to keep recruits with this attitude. Commitment doesn't mean much to those guys.

3. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

I suspect he's keeping TAMU in the mix because he doesn't know the difference between a bargaining chip and a cow chip.

4. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

this will free up a ship for someone who wants to be at texas... there are plenty of players waiting by the phone for a offer.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

As I said on the other thread, if Oregon is involved we know the issue.

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

He has already committed to Washington.

7. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

Let's not sweat this one. Good luck to the kid. I'm sure Mack is moving on, and we should too. Next.

8. SHS1984

SHS1984 250+ Posts

He should major in geography at Washington.

9. SectionThree

SectionThree 500+ Posts

Give him a US map for graduation. He needs it. And a geography teacher.

10. WestGAHorn

WestGAHorn 500+ Posts

Jeez, cut the kid some slack. His parents are getting back together and will be living in the Seattle area. He's making a decision based on family and i can't fault him in the least bit.

Best of luck at UW Mr. Hall.

[​IMG]

11. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

It has been confirmed that Hall has committed to UDub... all the best to him & his fam! [​IMG]

12. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

^^ Agree. His is the most legitimate decommitt I've seen in awhile. No ill feelings here.

13. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

14. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

A lot of kids are giving A&M a serious look not because they are A&M, not because they are in the SEC, but because they have an African-American head coach, period.

15. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

16. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

i apologize for the length of the following post...

i'm sure having an AA coach helps, but i dont know that's the only reason that our recruiting has picked up. i think it's because we're actually prioritizing recruiting as a main function of our football program.

RC couldnt keep up with mack changing the game. while mack was signing juniors and getting kids to commit the spring before their senior year, RC was banking on having "the show" type weekends the week before signing day and landing a bunch of kids then. his approach was antiquated, his facilities sucked, and he didnt have the wherewithall to understand that the A&M brand was falling to a distant third behind UT and OU (both of whom were kicking our *** on the field year in and year out). all of these things ended up getting him fired

fran had a couple of decent classes, but could never string together decent seasons back to back to maintain any sort of momentum. that and he pissed off a ton of high school coaches through his abrasive personality.

sherman had a maddening philosophy of "if we do 5 star coaching they'll be 5 star players"...a very stubborn and NFL mentality, so instead of going for the "big fish" type recruits, he used to look for diamonds in the rough that he could develop. his coaching staff reflected that notion, in that they were all known as talent developers/identifiers (a few taken from the NFL) and not necessarily salesmen. it was widely known that more than a few of our coaches did not like to recruit.

with sumlin we finally have an asst coach staff made up of more than one solid recruiter, meaning guys who know about relationships and know to sell the school. beatty (WR coach), polian (ST,TE), and yates (DB) have really good reputations as being good recruiters...so in essence we're finally moving to a modern day college football coaching staff that understands the value of recruiting and knows that they have to take responsibility for the players that they put onto the field.

so i'm sure some of it is having a black coach, and some of it is the SEC, but i think you're seeing a new focus on recruiting that A&M hasnt had in at least 10-12 years.

i'm fairly pleased with our recruiting success, but it means absolutely nothing if we **** the bed on the field this fall. every single thing is secondary to getting to, at minimum, a bowl this year.

17. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Some of it may be getting back to the Jackie Sherrill mentality of recruiting. I mean, if you're in the SEC and you want to compete with the others....

18. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

With all the ink A&M is getting for their relocaton to the SEC, there will be a little bounce as far as guys considering them.

I-35, my understanding was Texas was still on his list along with Texas A&M even after the decommit. He decomitted from us because his life situation had a drastic change.

Unless you went through your childhood with parents who divorced or separated and then reconciled, I don't think we should judge his intelligence nor the character of the young man. That kind of drama has to be tough on someone his age. But if one wants to hold a grudge against him, well I can't help you there. But I suggest he who didn't do stupid things or change their minds at his age cast the first stone.

If you want to hold a grudge

19. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

So you are confused about a 16-17 year old teenage boy, hmmmm. Not really sure what to tell you but, therapy might be a good start.

20. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Link
    Pro Joe - you might find this interesting if you've not read it.

First of all: "The thing about Sumlin is, when you look at the last three coaches at Texas A&M, you’ve got Mike Sherman, Dennis Franchione, R.C. Slocum – the older guys, 50s or 60s white males. And then Kevin Sumlin comes in, and I think he brings something different,"

Then: "They see a young African-American head coach who’s not afraid to step up and recruit with the Mack Browns and the Nick Sabans."

Corrected - and thanks, Joe.

21. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

i've seen that article before, and i dont disagree with it. i think sumlin being AA is part of it, but i also think that he's got a personality and an approach that lends itself well to recruiting, which is something our previous coaches didnt have.

brandon leone is white by the way...not that it negates his message at all.

22. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

All kidding aside Joe, Sumlin is a good hire. He definitely will be a better recruiter than RC, Fran, or Shermie. But, what may hold him back is Bowtie and the BOR micromanaging the Athletic Department.