Handwashing clothes?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by atxbaby, Aug 18, 2008.

1. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

So I am domestically challenged. I have some clothes I need to handwash, how do I go about it?

Thanks and hook'em!

2. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

Do you have a handwash cycle on your washing machine? If so, you can wash almost any "hand-wash only" item with it. It's best to put your clothes in a mesh laundry bag to further protect it. The temp should be cold/cold on a short cycle (e.g., if the duration goes to 10, wash at 6 or 4); lay flat to dry. I have washed delicate cashmere sweaters using this method. Not only did they come out undamaged, but they were much cleaner than if I had actually hand-washed or dry-cleaned. The only problems I've ever encountered were with viscose blends (they tend to shrink a little).

If you are going to hand wash the old-fashioned way: depending on the item, fill your bathroom or kitchen sink, or your bathtub with enough water to soak the item(s). Pour in a delicates detergent such as Woolite (amount per instructions) while the water is running to create a sudsy "bath" for your clothes. Soak for a few minutes. Drain and refill with water to rinse. Rinse soapy water out thoroughly. Gently squeeze out as much water as you can; try to avoid wringing or stretching. Lay flat to dry.

Hope that helps!

3. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

One word of caution: if you're washing a hand-painted item, like a T-shirt or sweatshirt, DO NOT use Woolite. It will strip the paint right off the fabric.

I always use shampoo to handwash in the sink. If it won't hurt my hair, I know it won't hurt the fabric.