Has Strong Lost Longhorn Nation?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

So facts are irrelevant garbage and opinions (there is no talent) are facts? Bold argumentative strategy cotton.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's elementary political strategy. When you can't support the facts, resort to personal attacks.

Anyone associated with football knows that the NFL has for many years considered our players "soft" and "pampered", making them a risk, and frequently avoided until they proved themselves. It ain't exactly like that's a huge revelation around here. Neither is the lack of development and waste of talent by Madden and Brown.

3. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

You gave all those irrelevant numbers just to say if Greg Robinson was the defensive coordinator that Texas would of won, that's not a fact.

4. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Facts are stubborn things. John Adams would like your post.

In the face of facts, Rat is pretty unyielding in his position. Pretty strange.

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I know I'm old (not AARP), and have never been an apologist for Mack (in fact he considered me his biggest detractor), but how did my lack of "commen sense" and apparently piss poor education compared to Big Least schools, allow me to miss your posts translating into Greg Robinson would have beaten ND or improved our defense last year?

6. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

So, wait a minute, what your basically saying is that I'm right? That the talent that Mack Brown left Coach Strong Is soft and isn't very good, why thank you.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I said they are soft and were always soft under Puppy Dog Madden. I never alluded to or stated they were not talented.

Serious questions for YOU:

Who is the best HS QB you ever saw?

Who is the best HS OL you ever saw?

Who was the single most dominating college player you ever saw?

No, these have nothing to do with your rants, nor is it a trick question. I am just curious

8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Well I stated a bunch of facts (Louisville's 2013 opponents, Charlie had numerous draft picks but did not win an outright conference title), then ended with my conclusion (which was an opinion) based on these facts. I really did not think I would need to break that post down....

Here are some other interesting facts. Texas had 6 NFL draft picks last season. Texas went 6-7 and got blown out by 20 or more points 5 times (the most in a single season in school history).

So far your opinions are all based on the fact you seem to believe that all 120 other NCAA Division 1 teams including Wyoming, Rice, UTSA, Charlotte, New Mexico State, Idaho (I could go on) have more talent than we do or something.

9. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

we have been saying that since Colt went down....enough!!!

10. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Why can't you see the irony, you're talking about the importance of good coaching because Mack Brown came in and the team had success. But you're also trying to tell me that Coach Strong should be winning because there is talent on the team. But Mack Brown basically got fired because he couldn't coach up these players who are supposed to be talented.

11. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Yep, and how many got drafted in the first round, one, Malcolm Brown.

12. marley

marley 500+ Posts

Coach Strong lost me the day he was hired.

There's no way that THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN should ever hire a Tier II coach who had only four years of head coaching experience.

Those of us who have hired hundreds of executives throughout our careers know that you don't hire a minor competitor company's executive with only four years as a CEO or VP or Director to fill a Fortune 500 company position. It's simply insane to do so. One needs somebody with 15 - 30 years of experience in a substantial company role to fill such a position.

Powers had a different agenda than hiring the best head football coach and that's why Texas has struggled and will continue to struggle until Fenves forces evil/incompetent Patterson (or his replacement) to hire an adequate replacement.

It is so sad and tragic that the best head coach available wasn't hired.

Oh, and Patter$on Must Go.

Watch for it on Saturday.

• Like Like x 3
  13. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

It's a good thing Jeremy Foley didn't hire Urban Meyer from that 2nd tier school at the time, Utah. Also, it's a good thing A&m didn't hire that Sumlin guy from UH, maybe if they did, they would be getting talented players almost every week. And their offense wouldn't look like Texas', my guess is that the company that you worked for was enron.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Ratt, while I do respect your arguments, I would like to pose this question:

Is there a scenario in which your perspective would change, prior to say the 2016 campaign, such that you would begin to question the competence of the coaching staff and, in particular, Strong and Watson? Or, are you willing to give them the benefit of the doubt regardless of the performance we see on the field?

15. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

This is true, especially the lack of development. With few exceptions, players leave as seniors at roughly the same skill level they arrived with as freshmen.

16. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

No, I personally won't make any judgments on Coach Strong until his recrutis are upperclassmen, that's if he doesn't get fired first. Mack Brown left this program a complete disaster and the proof of that is what you see on the field. No offensive line talent and incompetent quarterbacks, those are some things that Mack Brown left.

17. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Fair enough. I just don't agree. Let's see what you think about the O-Line in about three weeks. That is, assuming that Watson makes some play-calling and personal changes. Specifically?

This is what I just posted on another string:

The fix seems somewhat obvious: Go with a more mobile QB, run the zone read, go heavy on the ground game and call quick developing pass plays. I doubt there are many defenses that can hang with backs like Daje and Ryan Newsome. Use them in the short game. Occasionally, throw in downfield passes to talented receivers like Burt and Johnson. As the OL develops, perhaps add in more conventional drop back passes. But if the approach explained above works -- and I think it will, stick with it.

Watson seems to be stuck in a different era...

• Like Like x 1
  18. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I guess I would have to say Vince or Reggie Mcneal were the best that I've ever seen. The best high school O-lineman that i've ever seen is Andre Smith, who went to Alabama. And Charlie Ward was the best college player that I've ever seen.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  19. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I have been watching college football since the 50's. I saw H. Walker from Georgia, Earl from Texas, Montana from ND and Bo Jackson from Auburn. The best college football player I have ever seen was Vince Young...hands down. You are wrong about Charlie Ward...I saw him too and he didn't even make my top 10 list. I saw Vince, almost single handed, win the big games. Every old football fan I know agrees and most are not old 'Horns. Reggie McNeal, how did he even get into the conversation.

20. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

for those who mention Fred Akers as being a bad coach durning the dark years, he was a good coach that lost the1983 NC in the last minutes of a Cotton Bowl loss to Georgia. The one that got away that hurt the most.

The 1983 Texas defense was the best defense in college football...ever. 40 % of the opponents offensive plays ended in no gain or a loss. There used to be a write up called "9 from Texas" which I can no longer find.

Look at the season recap:

Fred went down when he refused the join in on the cheating at A&M under Sherrill, SMU under I forgot the coaches name and the Baylor bears under Grant Taft(?).

Fred was a good coach.

• Like Like x 1
  21. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Man, I'm fired up now!! Please forward to the current coaching staff.

22. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Bottom line is Case McCoy and the rest of Mack's entitleds of 2013 would kick the teeth in of this 2015 clusterf*ck we called a team on Saturday.

I wanted Mack to step aside after 2012 so don't throw me in the blind Mack-love camp. I'm just stating the facts. Mack won 8 games here in 2013 with supposedly a bunch of lazy, soft, bare cupboard dopeheads (according to some).

A ton of those guys returned for Strong. He gutted the team his way, and he should own the poor results. Which unlike some, Charlie is man enough to do. He always calls out his failures and owns them, while so many defend them with excuse after excuse after being blasted and embarrassed six times in 14 games.

We are young, our OC is inept, Swoopes isn't Texas starter caliber....yes, but it is the head coach who has to admit those are real problems and change it. Give Norvell the reigns and toss Heard the ball...I bet this offense looks pretty damn different and exciting by mid-season.

There's no excuse for not reaching a winning record in two tries at Texas when the last coach produced 3 straight before he left. Keep defending the abomination CS trotted out on the field all you want. But there is damn sure NO on-the-field improvement in this program from when he inherited it MANY months ago.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  23. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

If this hasn't already been linked here...

Blind Loyalty to Offensive Coordinators Already Doomed 2015 Seasons for Texas, Penn State
    September 8th, 2015| by Jim Weber

Loyalty is a great virtue. Blind loyalty, on the other hand, is one of the fastest ways to get youself fired as a football coach.

And in the case of Texas and Penn State, their 2015 seasons were doomed before they even started because of the blind loyalty Charlie Strong and James Franklin showed to their respective offensive coordinators, Shawn Watson and John Donovan.
    ....more
    http://lostlettermen.com/blind-loya...ady-doomed-2015-seasons-for-texas-penn-state/

• Like Like x 2
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Old 65,

People have revisionist views of Fred. Fact is that he had one of the University's best winning percentages, and in fact, had the best record of any coach against Top 20 teams. (Remember that it was Top 20 not 25 during most of his career.) Fred's record against ranked teams was something like 22-5 over that period and he was 5-4-1 against Barry.

I would argue that no team in Texas, and perhaps football history suffered more injuries than the 1986 team. We actually went to Lubbock with one scholarship LB suited up. The other starter was a walk-on. We missed a FG that would have won the game. The next year, David had the same record with the exception that his kicker made the FG to win the game. I consider David a good friend, but the fact is that his team scored three more crucial points than Fred's.

I remember at the end of the 85 Baylor game, Fred called timeout and called Ty Allert over to sideline and told him to go to the LJ (dentist from El Dorado, Arkansas) that Grant was going to run a pick and he wanted it called. Sure enough, Teaff ran an illegal pick on the goalline, the dentist, who I could always count on for a bad call against us at a crucial point in the game, made the call, and Baylor didn't score.

No coach in NCAA history battled through more off field issues with "fans" than Fred, including having alums call recruits and tell them not to go to Texas because they didn't now who their coach would be.

25. Joe Texas

Joe Texas 25+ Posts

The schedule. I'm guessing, but I suspect ND will be ranked 8th or higher this week.

26. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Well, if ND is 8th, or even 6th, TCU and Baylor are ranked ahead of them, so it could not be the schedule.

27. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Patterson will not live here any longer then Strong. When Patterson kept the big cigars out of the coaching search, he forever tied himself to Strong. If Strong fails, so does Patterson. It was his hire and his alone.

Personally I think they both get one more year, but I don't think they deserve it. In no other business would you get 2 years to go downhill like this and not get fired at the CEO/CMO/CIO level. Strong needs to win at least 7 games this year and one over the BU/TCU/OU. He won't and he should get canned. I hope he wins more, but nothing over the last 3 games leads me to believe any differently. It's one thing to have the worst O in the history of college football. (yes, I know I'm exaggerating, but not by that much). It's another to have your D not even compete when you are basically a glorified D coordinator.

28. Austin's Dad

Austin's Dad < 25 Posts

I do not know if Strong will do it or not, but I don't think you can judge after 14 games. As far as Strong not having a grand resume before coming here or being worthy, let me point out that in the 13 years Mack Brown was at Tulane and North Carolina, he had no championships of any kind. Also, his combined record at Tulane and NCarolina was 80-69-1. That is hardly a world beater. That record included a 20-3 record the last two years at NCarolina. So in his first 11 years, Brown had a record of 60-66-1.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Mack was picked by Darrell Royal. Strong was picked by Patterson and Powers. Being picked by a legendary football coach over two terrible administrators is helpful. Also, as someone else pointed out, Mack spent those years at those smaller schools learning to win. Texas is not a job for someone to get losing seasons out of the way during the early part of their career.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Texas

Joe Texas 25+ Posts

You may be right. From my couch, I think ND looks like the better of the three. I don't have a lot of faith in TCU and Baylor.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015