"He (Patterson) just put us through hell"

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Sep 18, 2015.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Why do people do this? I've worked with some really talented people that were also complete jerks towards others at work. Ultimately it's counter-productive. You can be a strong and effective leader and also be a decent person.

3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

A psychiatrist I am not, but analyzing Patterson would appear not to be rocket science. It's all about ego, and one's view of oneself. There are individuals, like Patterson and perhaps Trump (sorry but it's true) who develop a distorted view of themselves, their importance, and their perceived superiority when compared to others.

I will not state this correctly nor did I initiate the perception but, it has been said that a man's character can be judged by observing how he treats those that can do nothing for him. Patterson is the type of individual that apparently abuses those under him, those that can do nothing for him or his career. It is a character flaw possessed by many.

How rare it is when one encounters a truly humble individual. And how inspiring.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's a far cry from the 6-7% they were touting earlier. I know my WBB tickets basically doubled in price.

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The word would be Narcissism. Depending on the degree one might put "pathological" in front of it: Pathological Narcissism.

6. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Still gets back to the mystery of the who/what/why of him even being considered, much less actually hired. Think of it. The Unuversity actually hired him.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Crude,

"The University" did not "hire him". Bill Powers hired him, no one else, Bill Powers. It was Bill Powers who totally ****** up the Oliver Luck hire. Oliver is a great guy, gallactically smart, and a class act. For Oliver to get walk out of the middle of the interview should tell you everything you need to know. Yes, Oliver had WVU playing at TCU later that day, and Andrew playing in Houston on Sunday, but he had Saturday morning open for Powers.

Bill Powers wanted a legacy, and he got one. You choose:

A) He lost Oliver Luck & Nick Saban in a matter of a few hours

B) He set Texas athletics back twenty years

C) He master minded the greatest cluster f**k in NCAA history

D) All the above

E) He did an extensive search with the help of an expensive search firm and chose the best person, paying a fee to interview someone whose resume was already on his desk.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Sabre, you speak rightly. I've posted elsewhere that Powers did this on purpose, and wondered if Texas Monthly was up for a eye-opening article on it one day. On my post here, I incorrectly generalized, and I apologize to the University for that. Thanks for the solid post. Hook'em!

• Like Like x 1
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

CH, well said and dead on...

• Like Like x 1
  10. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes, one of the unsolved mystery in my life was working for an arrogant, over the top rageoholic, cheating on my wife VP that I saw run off several good people until the jackass finally retired two years ago.
    I'll take the story at face value, but at least the University had the balls to fire him, my owner did not.

11. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Powers is to blame but didn't the Regents have to sign off on the hire and his contract? The 5 year guaranteed part was ridiculous. Maybe 3 years but guaranteed contracts for an AD is ridiculous IMO. Regardless of what UT knew I am surprised to be reading all of the things that he did before he got to UT for the first time. Where was all of this from the media to inform fans about the guy that Texas hired when it happened??