Head 2 Head

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OUBubba, Nov 29, 2008.

1. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm not a hater, just haven't posted in a while and wanted to get this in before the game tonight..

I want you guys to admit that if OSU beats us and TTech wins the Big 12 title that their head to head win should move them above you in the BCS.

I'm ambivalent on the whole BCS/three way tie. I'm rational enough to buy all of the arguments. I just hope we can implode the system and bring on a cry for something new. For that to happen it might be better for horns and USC to be left on the outside looking in. [​IMG]

Good luck. I'm off to inlaws for TG.

2. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Tech has an argument for being ahead of Texas.

Oklahoma does not.

Quite simple.

3. NEOKHORN

NEOKHORN 100+ Posts

I admit it. They beat us H 2 H.

4. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

Um, we have stated that several times. Head-to-head, we agree that Tech beat us and most of us have no problem of them going in front of us.

5. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I'll try to remain civil, yes head to head matters as I've already posted on another thread. Why do you think UT nation has thrown up such a fight about OU trying to make a case for passing us? OU does not have a position, TT has an argument but not OU. Got it?

6. 2feathers

2feathers 250+ Posts

You miss the point entirely.

The point is if two teams are ranked by the BCS as close as Texas and OU and they have played each other on a neutral field and have the same record that neutral field win should be weighed more heavily than a win at home or a loss on the road.

Texas Tech isn't rank in the top 3, or top 4, or top 5, or top 6 of the BCS; they are ranked 7th and aren't going to the BCS championship no matter what happens to Texas or OU.

I will admit, however, that if Tech were ranked a few hundredths of a percentage point above or below Texas and it were between those two teams as to which team went to the BCS championship game, who beat who between the two should matter!

7. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

Absolutely, Tech would have the best argument.

8. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

So you're saying that if there is a 3 way tie that Tech doesn't deserve it at all and we are only talking about UT and OU and you probably also think OU deserves it based on BCS ranking? But if OU loses today and Tech wins then Tech will of course go to the Big 12 title game based on head to head and if they beat Mizz they should be then deserving of being ranked ahead of UT?

You can't have it both ways....you can't have OU win and both OU and UT screw Tech now before the Big 12 title game but then take Tech as a higher ranking if OU loses and Tech wins out. I hope you see the contradiction there.

In my mind there are a couple of ways things play out. Depending on that though I think there are 2 things you have to look at:
    1. Body of work
    2. Head to head record

If OU and Tech both win then we have 3 way tie and we need to look at both 1 and 2 above. Texas has the best overall body of work (though OU is close) due to being #1 for 3 weeks, and a dominant #1, plus wins over 3 top 15 teams. Texas also has head to head over OU. So in comparison to Tech, tech has the head to head vs. Texas but has the lesser body of work.....only beaten 2 top 15 teams.....schedule included 2 div 2A teams and 2 key wins were at home.

If OU loses and Tech beats Baylor and Tech goes on to beat Mizz in Big 12 title game, then you are cmparing UT and Tech for possible invite to MNC game. Tech then has head to head over Texas, now 3 quality top 15 wins including now 1 on a neutral site, and a big 12 title. At that point in time yes I would say that Tech has the best argument in both #1 and #2 above.

If OU beats OSU and Tech beats Baylor, and OU goes to Big 12 title based on higher BCS ranking but then loses to Mizz, and then you have you have to choose between UT and Tech for not only the 2nd Big 12 BCS bid but the MNC bid.....well then you have Tech with the head to head over Texas, but only 2 quality wins (both at home) and no Big 12 title. In that case I say that Texas has the best body of work and that trumps the head to head b/c Tech's body of work was so much behind that of Texas.

I hope that answers your question and I hope that you may now realize that it was a more complicated answer than you originally thought it would be. Carry on.

9. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Sooner Suck.

10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

My query was predicated on an OU loss at Stillwater. I was wanting to know who was willing to admit that had TT won the Big 12 game that they deserved to go to the BCS Championship game over UT. That didn't happen. Hell, Tech almost stepped on their pecker.

Say what you will but it is a three way tie - not a two way tie. I don't know what's going to happen and I know I have no control over it so I'm just going to sit back and watch. I do hope this brings the stupidity of the BCS as we know it down a notch. I'd say UT has the best argument to go but here are the three things the Sooners have going for them:

1. Lost first, therefore, have won the most games in a row. Historically, this is the most unfair aspect of the system we have lived in for the last 20 to 30 years. It's impacted almost all one loss debates in the past.
    2. Have the best road win out of the three - at #12 OSU - a team that lost by 4 to UT in Austin.
    3. Have a better non-conference schedule with Cincinatti and TCU possibly being ranked higher than even Mizzou when the dust settles tomorrow.

Again, I think the system overall sucks and I was out all day at my inlaws for f'n Thanksgiving and didn't get the DVR rolling until about 8:30 just getting done with the game a bit ago.

Good luck either way.

Take care.

11. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

for all of you who think that it's a true 3 way tie, then the best way to solve it is by straws. seriously, I am about to vomit the next time I hear this.

unless you want to draw straws, you MUST take some aspect of head to head into account. everything you named in your list, bubba, is subjective.

you people can't seriously think that tech is in this conversation! they got blown out by 40 pt and barely beat baylor at home in the span of a week!

but...if tech's in the picture, then we must draw straws because it would be the only way to solve a three way tie. you can't have your cake and eat it too sooners.

12. 7Titles

7Titles 500+ Posts

Should OU have beaten Tech by less, such as as a UT/OSU margin, to make the 3 way tie more "even?"

13. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Are any Sooners on soonerfans?