Hemingway's Morning Practice Report

Discussion in 'Classics' started by judge roybeanbag, Aug 7, 2002.

1. judge roybeanbag

judge roybeanbag < 25 Posts

The bus from Chicon to Red River lumbered like an aged white elephant intent on the graveyard. Nick watched from the side window as the puffs of powdery diesel smoke spit from the tailpipe and drifted into the sparse crowd of hookers on the cracked sidewalk.

It was a fine day for football. Nick loved football. He loved the sweat, and the grass, the crack of pads and the antsy crowds watching the first drills of summer under a sky blue like the vodka bottle he had smashed on his toe by accident the night before. His toe ached but not so bad as to stop drinking. Drinking made it not ache so bad.

Nick tried to ignore the fat lady in the seat next to him. Thinking about her too much would spoil it for him. He must not think of her. But yet as she leaned forward his breath caught the smell of her sweaty flesh, and it was much the crack of a plumber’s *** on a hot summer afternoon and it turned his stomach. He longed for the end of the line.

After a fashion the door opened and Nick stepped off the bus into the bright hotness of August in Austin. The diesel behemoth lumbered on with the fatasscrack smell forgotten as he hopped the curb and stepped into the wonder that was Denius. He had waited, savored the coming moment like watching a steak sizzle over the fire in a heavy cast-iron pan and yet he should not walk too fast, he thought, he might burn his tongue in eagerness, so he stepped slowly up to the practice field.

There they stood, milling like thoroughbreds before the starting gate. Three year olds eager to run and play the game. Nothing like it. There was never anything like it. It filled the pit of Nick’s stomach with anticipation, and he wondered if this season would be any different than the last, or the one before or the twenty before that, and as he watched the tall god-like quarterback and the fleetness of his receivers, none of it mattered except the hope, like every summer before. Summer was the eternal time for hope, as it always had been. And Nick was ever hopeful… Football was his faith and the burnt orange sun of August was upon him like the summery sweat stink on fat lady’s ***.

The whistle blew and it began… Nick drifted with his hope...

2. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

genius.

3. the

the First Time Poster

rack him

4. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

5. LonghornScott

LonghornScott 25+ Posts

I enjoyed that.

6. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

great, great post. But I can't believe somebody actually wrote "rack him." [​IMG]

But seriously - great work.

7. mudboy

mudboy 250+ Posts

i think that was his pre-practice report. Still excellent job of catching his style.

8. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

9. domedriver

domedriver < 25 Posts

The imagery, the flow, I could almost smell that fat lady's ***! Good work!

10. rivet

rivet 500+ Posts

Excellent! jrbb just raised the bar. I'm out!

11. judge roybeanbag

judge roybeanbag < 25 Posts

Well who'd a thunk Carole Keeton Rylander rode the bus!!!

12. echeese

echeese 25+ Posts

"But yet as she leaned forward his breath caught the smell of her sweaty flesh, and it was much the crack of a plumber’s *** on a hot summer afternoon and it turned his stomach. He longed for the end of the line. "

Now that's enough to spoil lunch

13. TEXMAN

TEXMAN < 25 Posts

Excellent post. However, I feel like I need to take a bath. [​IMG]

14. hornpower

hornpower < 25 Posts

Splendid. Patiently awaiting Michener's report.

15. LadyLonghorn

LadyLonghorn 25+ Posts

[​IMG]

Puts all other reports to shame.

16. bevodelnorte

bevodelnorte < 25 Posts

That was an excerpt of historical fiction that would bring a tear to a glass eye! Herman Wouk would be proud!

Hook 'Em

17. Lone*FBfan

Lone*FBfan < 25 Posts

Isn't there a separate forum for wanker posts like this?

18. horn blooded

horn blooded 100+ Posts

Bravo! Bravo!

19. GhostOfTomJoad

GhostOfTomJoad 500+ Posts

I can hardly wait for an Edgar Alan Poe report from the afternoon session.

Excellent stuff.

20. I believe

I believe 25+ Posts

Have a cigar.

21. kayo

kayo < 25 Posts

I'm eagerly awaiting James Joyce's 900-page epic describing the last three and a half minutes of the Saturday practice.

22. hornpower

hornpower < 25 Posts

The night was sultry,

(That's all I've got so far)

23. ATO

ATO Guest

You done good.

24. hornFANtastic

hornFANtastic 100+ Posts

Nice work. You are gonna inspire spidey to rite some pros.

25. hornFANtastic

hornFANtastic 100+ Posts

Nice work. You are gonna inspire spidey to rite some pros.

26. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Or perhaps an introduction to the freshman football players' experience as described by the advertising department of an apartment complex:

Manicured emerald green fields and platinum-hued bleachers welcome you to Frank Denius Fields. Designer yard markers, oversized tackling sleds, beautifully stitched footballs and sparkling helmets are just a few of the wonderful amenities you will utilize during their first practice. Our professional coaching staff will greet you with speed and agility drills designed to introduce you to the joyous experience of playing in the gentle tropical breezes of an Austin summer. Following your practice, relax as you savor crystal clear water served in contemporary sports bottles. You've finally found your home at Texas.

After a long day of hard work, retreat to the serene comfort of your semi-private dormitory room at acclaimed Jester Hall. Each and every room has been generously appointed with built-in furniture to suit your every need. Take time to study on your private laminate-surfaced desk, relax on your luxuriously designed twin bed or find just the right shirt for a special date in your ornamental folding-screened closet. These finely crafted details tell you that you're on your way to the top!

27. ball911

ball911 < 25 Posts

This type of behavior should not be encouraged.

28. mileslong

mileslong 25+ Posts

aren't you the dude that posted that digusting pic on here last week?

29. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

LMAO! thanks for the much needed laugh......

30. dnddavis

dnddavis < 25 Posts

A toast to the ghost of Ernest and genius of Judge Roybeanbag and to their much awaited sequels.