Hey something more important than the trial

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NEWDOC2002, Jul 2, 2013.

1. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

It just keeps getting better in Egypt. I see we have some serious successes in our foreign policy. Does Syria not turn out this way?

Egypt CS Monitor article

2. DFWAg

DFWAg 1,000+ Posts

Morsi and the Brotherhood rejected the Military's ultimatum today and are apparently raising a "defense force". There should be some violence before it is all said and done.

3. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

In May 2011, President Obama pledged $1 billion to support Egypt’s democratic revolution.

5. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

BI, either you or I need to adjust a sarcasm meter.

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Ultimatelydemocratic government will be better for the rank and file -- if the electorate is educated, passionate and participatory. Now making that happen is not easy in a country with low literacy levels and high levels of loyalty to religious zealots. Democratic government can work in a Muslim country. Without awesome oil resources like iran, Turks are on average much more prosperous than Iranians, not to mention freer and better educated.

i'm not trying to dinigrate my country, because in international relations we are certainly more benevolent than other superpowers, but ultimately we support foreign leaders who are good for us, not necessarily their own people. it's more complicated and uncertain to deal with democracies. Iran has a poor record on elections, etc, but it's a helluva a lot more Democratic than when our old pal the Shah ran things.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

8. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

9. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Maybe you are right Doc and BI was being sarcastic. Don't count on it though.

By Maxim Lott
    Published April 11, 2013

10. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

11. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

12. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

What could go wrong?