High definition channels freeze

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by brandons87, May 11, 2008.

1. brandons87

brandons87 250+ Posts

OK, bought a new 52" LCD and got digital cable installed a few days ago. Everything working great up until last night. For the past 12 hours, all of my HD channels are frozen. The audio still plays fine, but it just shows one frame on the screen.

The non-HD channels work fine. I got rid of the splitter and ran it straight to the cable box and its still frozen.

Cable guy cant come out for another 5 days.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I guarantee you when the guy comes here he's going to give me the tired BS of "its not the cable, its your TV" crap despite the fact that it was working fine before and its a brand new $2000 LCD.

Here's my signal levels:

Receive Power Level
    -14.3 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
    51.5 dBmV

I have one splitter between the wall and the HD box.

2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Your cable is screwed up, whether it's the receiver or the feed itself. Get a satellite system. Problem solved. [​IMG]

3. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

First thing I would do is rest the cable box. Unplug and let sit for about 10 minutes and then plug back in.
    If that doesn't do it, run the cable staright to the TV, run an auto program and then check for your locals in HD on the 1500 channels and see if those are freezing as well. Are you hooked up using HDMI or component video, try using the other form of it and see if it is still giving you issues. We have seen a lot of problems with the new 8240 box that Time Warner is giving out now.

4. cmvUT75

cmvUT75 100+ Posts

5. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

Not sure what wrong but it is the cable not your TV. Request fiber optic cable. Works better and gives better quality.

6. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

7. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

last year i called them to run a line to another bedroom. Well they said the earliest they could go out was 8 days later. I had about 80" of coaxial and a splitter that i took with me from my old apartment. I had some tools to do the job so i ran the line myself.
    The next week when the tech comes by he was suprised that i did a good job. Knowing its not his fault, i tell him that cable sucks and whoever schedules the appt. is a POS.
    He agrees and after a few beers( it was his last callof the day) and shooting the **** about how ****** cable is and how dumb some of his calls are for a little while he says he has satellite.
    He said that the quality is a little better but the amount of HD programming was the kicker. I live in El Paso so we've never see enough rain to cause a problem.

Im not sure why i still have cable.
    [​IMG]