High Heat Brisket

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Texas___Fight, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

I just tried this new cooking method this weekend and I am sold on this. It cut my cooking time in half and I didn't have to wake up at 4:00 am to get it done. I highly recommend this method. [​IMG]

High Heat method

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

interesting....

3. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

impressive smoke ring for such little time in a WSM.

I've bought a new house, and finally got my WSM unpacked. Need to get new racks and water pan, then I'm in business.

I'd be willing to try the quick cook technique myself. Any pointers?

4. Texas___Fight

I actually used my offset. I pulled it at 5 hours at 325-350 and did not wrap it and the results were outstanding. [​IMG]

5. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

I read an article yesterday talking about the plateau or stall in low and slow. It is due to water evaporation cooling the meat, just like when a marathon runner sweats to cool them.

He proposes 225 and smoke until the meat hits 150 (usually when stall starts) then foil and take to 300 for another few hours until the meat is close to 195 (or done).

6. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

I have been cooking brisket a similar fast way for years. I put it in the smoker for 2-3 hrs depending on size and then wrap in foil and put in the oven at 325 to finish. Saves time and wood.

7. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Didn't read the entire article, but the people who smoke meat for a living (as opposed to tailgating tailwaggers) will tell you that there is a temperature at which the meat quits accepting smoke flaove and just needs to be cooked. I, personally, don't give a fliying f**k about the red smoke ring some people talk about. I can't taste it and I would bet a ton that no one else can either. Haw can you taste red? It's a color, not a taste.

If it tastes good to you then eat it.

Cook what tastes good to you.

8. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

9. HornTillDeath

HornTillDeath 100+ Posts

I plan on doing a high heat brisket on Friday. Do you know how much of a time adjustment you need for a 5lb brisket?

10. Texas___Fight

With a 5 pounder I'm guessing it's trimmed so be careful and keep it moist (spray with apple juice every 30 minutes). You might even consider injecting or marinading overnight to keep it from drying out. At any rate, I would just make sure and use a good thermometer and keep an eye on it. It cut my time in half so I would expect your results to be similar..Maybe about 7 beers? [​IMG] . Fork test=done. Happy eating [​IMG]