Higher Ed (Not Just UT) -- Celebrate the Brilliance / Laugh at the Madness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The President of Harvard has resigned. She was under fire for plagiarism and appearing to condone an anti-Semitic atmosphere at Harvard.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Bill Ackman nails it hard.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Apparently plagiarism is now a culture war issue. I can't believe I pay a licensing fee for this ****.

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Key quote from the linked article:
    "...a meritocracy is an anathema to the DEI movement."
    That says it all - the DEI movement wants to focus on equal results, not equal opportunity. That is guaranteed to produce mediocre results.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

These donors vs educrats battles go way back. In the 90s, it was one of the Basses donating $20 million to Yale for the study of Western Civ.

After much hand-wringing and University politicking, Yale returned the $20 million donation to Bass, and did not establish the Western Civ professorships, etc.

"In 1991, Mr. Bass, a 1979 Yale alumnus, made this extraordinary gift to his alma mater in order to strengthen Yale’s offerings in Western civilization and to provide an alternative to the radical multiculturalism that has had such a disfiguring influence on the humanities in American colleges and universities. The inspiration for Mr. Bass’s gift came partly from the eminent Yale classics professor Donald Kagan, a former dean of Yale College and an avid supporter of what is best in the traditional liberal arts curriculum.

Naturally, this educational initiative, emphasizing the importance of Western culture and its intellectual, moral, and political achievements met with fierce resistance from entrenched radical elements at Yale."

Yale Alumni Magazine: Bass, Yale & Western Civ (Summer 95)

https://www.chronicle.com/article/f...illion-for-the-study-of-western-civilization/

The Fall Of Western Civ

Meanwhile, back at Yale . . . | The New Criterion

https://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/magazine/when-money-doesnt-talk/

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Just a matter of time before the looney leftist radical element at Yale tries to change their school seal to remove those "Zionist colonizer" letters on that book ...

You just watch... (not sure if I'm joking or not on this one...) :idk:

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes very good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Harvard is still going to have a hard Left President. He will just be Jewish this time, so that there will be no charges of anti-semitism. DEI still rampant and anti-American.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

My favorite Ivy League President:

Dartmouth's Sian Leah Beilock.

Harvard should poach her.

"Beilock is one of the world's leading experts on the brain science behind "choking under pressure" in business, education, and sports. In the last several years, her research has focused specifically on success in math and science for women and girls and on how performance anxiety can either be exacerbated or alleviated by teachers, parents, and peers."

She appears to come from the non-******** wing of psychology. Plenty of noteworthy research on cognitive/brain science. She was also heavy on the admin background with admin stints at U. of Chicago and Barnard (where she apparently pushed an undergraduate physical exercise program). In other words, she's highly qualified, unlike some candidates who somehow slid through...

Some might say she's also easy on the eyes for an Ivy League President.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Sian Leah Beilock (President of Dartmouth, and foremost expert on the psychology of choking under pressure) speaks on the SCOTUS opinion banning Affirmative Action in College Admissions:

"As I said in my letter, and I was very clear, people have different views about whether this decision was the right or wrong thing to do. And the goal of an institution is to create an opportunity to talk about those views. But what I also underscored in the letter are key principles that I think are important to Dartmouth and to higher education in general, which is that diversity of thought and lived experience leads to better outcomes. I actually like to research that. It’s something that I’ve looked at in my work — and something that is unwavering. And so, the question is, how do we work as an institution to make sure we have that diversity of thought and experience on campus? Part of that is financial aid, making sure that we can support our students. And we’ve done that by being need blind and meeting full need, not just for domestic students, but for international students. And part of that is also finding different ways to think about a student’s experiences."

(If Harvard doesn't poach her, we should...)

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

No mushy mouth hedging, whataboutism, or false moral equivalence from this University President on the Hamas terrorist attacks:

Also in attendance was President Sian Leah Beilock, who told the assembled crowd, “I stand with you at this vigil in condemning the horrific, terrorist slaughter by Hamas of hundreds of Israeli civilians—including old people and little children—as well as citizens of other countries, including the United States.”

SIAN LEAH BEILOCK, DARTMOUTH PRESIDENT

Students Hold Vigil on the Green for Israel

Alums and Trustees nationwide take note--shove this in the face of your weak-kneed, broken moral compassed, cowardly College Presidents. This is how a college President is supposed to act.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    'Hamas is an evil terroristic organization.
    I condemn their horrific acts.'
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

upload_2024-1-3_10-20-2.jpeg
    'Calling for the genocide of Jews may
    or may not be ok--it just depends on
    the context.'
    :cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2:
    :cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2:

15. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

She is a social engineer. I'll pass.

16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

That is all code for anti-white and anti-American citizen. They won't aim financial aid to students that are smart but have financial needs. They will send money to those who meet their new "lived experience" definitions. It will all go back to racial preferences though.

Shouldn't we give our support to elites that will abolish DEI and set up American universities to benefit Americans?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

You misread her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Editorial: Beilock’s Approach to Free Speech - The Dartmouth Review

In an interview with The Dartmouth Review on December 15, 2022 (published in TDR, 1/27/23), then-President-Elect Beilock asserted her belief in the utility of exposing students to ideas with which they disagree. She contended that such exposure must be effectuated by the presence of, in her idiom, “brave spaces,” an obvious but important countermeasure to the hackneyed concept of “safe spaces.”'

Good idea: No "safe spaces", rather "brave spaces" where open discussion is encouraged, and the buttercups have to toughen up a bit.

Beilock From Barnard: A Consideration of the President-Elect - The Dartmouth Review

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

11 Insanely Luxurious College Dorms

Hmmmmm. Could be contributing to the escalating price of college these days... (Folks, this is not what the Beauford H. Jester Dorm looked like in the 1980s.)

Ivy House dorm at U. of Florida:
    [​IMG]

Callaway House dorm at UT:
    [​IMG]

U. of North Florida:
    [​IMG]

U. of Arizona:
    [​IMG]

TCU:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Real Estate developers are cleaning up on all fronts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We live in an age where mental health events are to be downplayed and considered normal. Nothing has consequences anymore. We are to customize our approach to each individual, know their triggers, master the library of micro-aggressions and allow their aggression to be displayed at any level of violence or verbal abuse.

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Meanwhile, over at the Texas A&M dorms, they've gone in a different direction:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I prefer a free exchange of a wide range of viewpoints at every college.

But......................the way the world is, there will be some colleges that just plain lean left. That would not be a problem, if for every Oberlin there was a Hillsdale--but there's not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He is a fuckin hero.

• Winner Winner x 1
  30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts