home air cleaning Q's

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by dalhorn1, Apr 27, 2012.

1. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Bought a home last fall, and with a baby on the way soon, my wife wants to look at getting the HVAC ducts/vents/returns/whatever cleaned. I've got horrible allergies (about to start shot therapy, no prescription drugs work).

Is there anything that we need to be sure to get done? Anything to avoid, ripoffs, wastes of time, etc?

I'll hang up and listen...

2. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

I tried one of the duct cleaning firms. It was pretty shoddy. They cleaned for a couple hours but left with the ducts not clean.

I ended up having the ducts replaced.(not cheap)

Also you can put a filter on the out duct to the bedrooms to help. Use the 1500 filtrete and replace it monthly.

Spray the air with lysol once a week to help pull any particulate in the air down to the floor then vacuum and dust up the stuff.

When it gets really bad, the allergies, I get a prednisone prescription and a good antihistamine.(I used to use Actifed, now only the generic version is available(red box from cvs))

It sucks. Good luck. There is a lot of dust the last few years in DFW.

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Look into changing out your system from the poorly designed and producing systems we know of as the norm into a mini-duct or mini-split system. The idea of having large tubes and ducts through your roof is just not a good idea when it comes to debris and allergens.

Also, you can save wad of money in energy savings.