Horns #6 seed in Softball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BabHorn, May 13, 2012.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

other Big 12 teams:
    #4 OU
    #8 A&M
    #9 MU

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tx Tech is in the Seattle Regional, matched up with Maryland

In the College Station Regional, A&M will play Bethune-Cookman.

Missouri plays Illinois State in the Columbia Regional. A&M and Missouri could meet if they both win their regionals.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas hosts the Austin Regional and plays Northwestern. It's Auburn vs Houston in the other game (assuming I read my writing right-hard to read my scribbling at times). The winner of this regional will meet the Eugene Regional winner.

In the Layfette Regional, BU plays Stanford in one game.

That's six Big 12 teams so far.

5. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

There is NO excuse for UT not to exorcise the demons of the past couple years. This draw is a gift.

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

OU plays LeHigh in the Norman Regional in one game while the other game features Oregon State vs Tulsa.

Winner of this regional plays the winner of the Tucson Regional.

7. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

Friday, May 18, 2012 - Session 1
    1 p.m./Game 1 - Houston vs. Auburn
    4 p.m./Game 2 - Northwestern vs. Texas

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - Session 2
    Noon/Game 3 - Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2
    3 p.m./Game 4 - Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2
    6 p.m./Game 5 - Winner Game 4 vs. Loser Game 3

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - Session 3
    Noon/Game 6 - Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 5
    35 minutes after conclusion of Game 6 (if necessary)/Game 7 - Winner Game 6 vs. Loser Game 6

8. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

9. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

If you've seen my posts here or on the other site, you know my feelings on this. Clark should be on the thinnest of ice heading into this postseason. Many decisions this season (pitching rotation, starting runners, etc) have been downright AWFUL.

10. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Desert:

I may not disagree with you but I do now one thing, we are in the tournament as the 6th Seed and I am all hands on deck for a strong showing!!!!

Let's go ladies!!!!!! Let's get to the Supers first!!!!!!

11. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

So we're on the verge of firing another women's coach but Plonski gets to stay? What a clusterF*&%.

12. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

Major:
    I agree. I will be there cheering my heart out. [​IMG]

Knoxville:
    Yep, at some point you have to look at the AD. Plonsky has made some poor decisions lately as well.

13. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

The Auburn/UH game is now at 1 p.m. Friday. Sure to be well-attended [​IMG]

14. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

There will 500-1000 people there? It will be sold out for the Longhorn game. 500 people is alot of people for Auburn and or Houston.

Auburn averaged 336 people a game this year and I would guess UH averaged less than that.

15. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Desert you have to remember that our softball team fought and got the State Farm Lone Star softball for us this year. we must give credit where it is due.

16. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

I give them all credit for dispatching A&M and clinching the trophy. But I am a realist. For me, this team has a lot to prove. The last two years, they have bowed out of the regional on their home field against teams they have no business losing to.

Teams that have players that would never see the field at UT, if they even made the roster. We're going to find out soon if their mental toughness has improved (something they said they worked on in the off-season).

17. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

18. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

If you are 46-9 and ranked third in the nation, I think you should have advanced further especially after being eliminated by two unranked teams on your home field. What discussion is necessary? You're seriously going to argue that UT hasn't underachieved the past two postseasons? I bleed burnt orange but let's be real.

19. Hipsquare

Hipsquare 100+ Posts

I don't think he lost any credibilty at all. Using Bennett as an excuse for the loss is ridiculous, getting shut out on your home field by East Carolina is unacceptable, don't care who the pitcher is. Losing to Houston, who has players that were leftovers after the Horns & aggy took who they wanted, should be a wake up call that maybe Clark is not the brightest match in the box.

20. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

Thanks, Hipsquare. After all, my credibility on the HornFans softball message board is such a big deal to me [​IMG]

21. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

22. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

I remember reading some of that. Didn't realize it was the same person.

23. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I did not say we shouldn't have won the game with East Carolina in 2010, or last year's regional matchups w/out Lexy. I was commenting on the statement about opponent's rosters; the fact is EC had one of the best pitchers in the country in Paisley. She was an All-American and top ten in the country in ERA, strikeouts and shutouts. As far as Lexy is concerned, I do think we should have been good enough to advance farther without her in the lineup. But how far is another question. It's hard to overstate just how good she was last year, but consider that she missed the last 15 games, or over a quarter of the 2010-11 season. And she still led the team in hits for the year; that's pretty amazing IMO. I do expect us to do better this year, and advance farther, although our ace has clearly been struggling some recently. But hopefully that's all behind us now and the team is ready to play hard and win. And if we do have any issues in the cirlce we have the hitters to make up for it. Let's see what happens.

24. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

A lot of it is mental. I hope they are focused like a laser starting later today. I have to think you throw Fox vs. Northwestern, win and throw Luna tomorrow in the winner's bracket. If Bruins sees the circle, I might literally [​IMG]

But who knows, Bruins (clearly our third-best pitcher) has started two of UT's biggest games this season. [​IMG]

25. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

Luna is starting today vs. the worst team at the regional.

Maybe that's because the winner plays UH, but I would've gone a different way.

26. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

UT loses 2-0. Now have to fight back through loser's bracket. Wow, just wow.

27. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Plonsky should have fired CC before she left the field. Women's softball may be the biggest underachievers in all of UT sports.

28. DesertDog2K

DesertDog2K 100+ Posts

I was there and still can't believe what I saw.

UT left 13 runners on base, putting runners on base in 6 of the 7 innings.

But obviously could not get a clutch hit. So it happened again, heavily favored Texas loses to an inferior team. Northwestern was 27-27 for gods sake. Got beaten by a freshman pitcher with a 4.94 ERA.

I know the coach isn't up there swinging the bat, but there is something to be said for having your team mentally ready to play, especially in the postseason. I wont even mention that Clark pinch hit for Karina Scott with Gabby Smith (a freshman hitting .180) because Smith actually singled and kept the 7th inning alive.

I don't see UT winning this as it becomes nearly impossible if you lose your first game. I mean, seriously, at what point does Clark get the boot?

29. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

There need to be 2 boots ready!
    Long time coming!

30. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I know some of you are upset and justifiable so but I must remind you again that our softball team along with 2 other teams where we are changing coaches (Women's Basketball and Swimming and Diving) got critical points for us in the Lone Star Showdown which were important in us retaining the final cup. Show some gratitude and compassion please.

[​IMG]