Horns are doomed.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by George Bailey, Nov 28, 2018.

1. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

I don’t know about the other members of this august forum, but I am proud to identify as a “non-Lubbockite.” No shame whatsoever.

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Shoot for the moon, Tceh

4. George Bailey

The funny, or sad, thing about this is many of them believe it could happen. My wife's side of the family is full of t shirt tortilla tossers. I spent Thanksgiving day with them crowing about it. Their logic is that if Bobby Knight could be attracted to Lubbock, then why not any coach from anywhere.

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That may be the most delusional thing I've ever read on the Internet. I should have known when it started with this "statement of fact:"

Kirby Hocutt made it glaringly obvious in his presser that Texas Tech will be elite in football.

Because... you know... If you can throw a press conference and state it, clearly it's going to happen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

I think that Tech should place all its chips on developing an elite basketball program. They could strive to be the Indiana or Kentucky of Texas. Just my $0.02.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

When they fired the Pirate, I was happy for us. All I am saying.
    And I love that pirate.

8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

“Delusions fill non-Lubbockites about a Tombstone style frontier sparsely populated by unintelligent farmers who all go to one general store for their pomade”.

I lived in Lubbock for two years in the early 90s (went to ttu for two years before I xferred to UT because of my HS grades)

The above statement was 100% accurate back then. And I know Lubbock has grown but so has everywhere. To say that is “delusion” is laughable. But Maybe the writer has seen the bright lights and natural splendor of Amarillo so he knows

• Like Like x 2
  9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

As they said in Blazing Saddles: "Frontier Gibberish" !!

I'm kinda surprised tech fans buy into that line of delusional speculation....

• Like Like x 1
  10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Was just in Amarillo a few weekends ago. I described it as reminding me of the guy we all knew who always had a back hoe and a bunch of half-finished engines and other stuff in his back yard, but he also had a smoker back there so he usually had pretty good barbecue.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. George Bailey

Never seen anything like Amarillo. Cruising along at 75 on I27 and all of the sudden you're doing 30 in los barrios. I saw that dude with the smoker in his yard. He was putting a goat, maybe a nutria, on the grill. His Dixie flag with Hank Jr's face on it was a nice touch. Almost as nice as his neighbors with the Mexican and fadded aTm flags on their fence.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Those are wind breaks not flags.

Only thing between Amarillo and the north pole is a barbed wire fence, and two strands of it are down.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

totally agree. Coldest I've ever been was in Dalhart (not far from Amarillo). 9 deg and 30 MPH north wind. Wretched

14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Try Fargo in January. I spent 4 days there in January about 10 years ago. The highest temperature I experienced was +3 degrees F.

I like cold weather, but damn... it was mid May before my nuts re-descended.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

When I saw Saben listed first thing I thought of was that TTU is mimicking the Borowitz Report.

16. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I was stationed at Eielson AFB, AK which is about 20 miles from Fairbanks. My first winter there in 1998-99 from January 25 to February 13 the high never got above -20 degrees and the coldest day during that spell was -53 degrees.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  17. Randall Ward

Randall Ward < 25 Posts

And now you know why they are called sand aggies

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Ironically, I had been set to spend those 4 days at Eielson in stead of Fargo. I convinced the USAF to reschedule my Eielson visit by asking them what commercial air traffic was available to get me to Fairbanks in January. I got to work Eielson in late June instead, which I turned into an awesome working vacation by extending my stay in Alaska (on my own dime, not the gov't) and paying for my wife to tag along.

19. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

This really is silly....

20. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

GJ, just to correct you, it’s November now not August, but just for a couple more days. After that, hornfans will be a “December” body..... ;-)

21. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Thanks Sangre, got a good belly laugh at your nuts,,,,,I meant note!

22. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Me too. We hate cold weather as well. :smile1:

23. George Bailey

Well, Matt Wells is close to Saban. I guess?

There's some interesting reading over on raiderpower right now. Wells isn't exactly being welcomed.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts