Horns-Utes Alamo Bowl Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

That was wildly satisfying to watch. Ossai was a monster. Full on game changing monster against a good line. Adimora...where has he been? Coburn was disruptive. Jacquess?? Sterns flying around. Getting healthy mattered. I wish there were 4 more games to be played right now!

I like everything Colin Johnson says, but he just missed so so many games and he seemed like he was always focused on next year, and that is understandable but frustrating. He showed up tonight. Duvernay is an all-time bad *** that was under-utilized for 3 years. He is a bigger faster Quan with better hands and Quan was an outstanding WR.

Hard to not feel good for Craig Navair. How does this team go 7-5 til now? I want to believe scheme matters as much as it looked tonight. And Keontay was strong. Sam looked more like Tebow. Arm meh. Legs legit. No more football to care about for me to end of summer...thanks a lot cowboys, how did you not make the playoffs?

• Like Like x 3
  2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  3. BurntOrangeLH

Post game, CFN had this to say:

Of course Texas isn’t at the national title level that Clemson, LSU and Ohio State are – that’s what “back” really means – at least it’s a relevant program and team.

Yeah, it wasn’t ranked by the College Football Playoff types all through the process, but LSU winning in Austin was still a big deal. Oklahoma winning in Dallas was a big deal. Playing Texas is a big deal because the program is a big deal.

With a performance and a dominant win like this, this is what Longhorn fans are going to be expecting on a regular basis, and they’re going to be right.

It’s Texas. It’s supposed to beat Utah 38-10 – and the Big 12 needs to thank the Longhorns for doing it.

Oklahoma couldn’t have been worse against LSU in the College Football Playoff blowout loss.

Iowa State couldn’t have been worse in the Camping World loss to Notre Dame, Kansas State lost to a Group of Five program – Navy – and Oklahoma State lost to Texas A&M.

Before Baylor plays Georgia in the Sugar, the Big 12 is 1-4 in the bowls.

Forget Texas being back. Texas showed up.

Texas Wins Alamo Bowl Over Utah 38-10: Reaction, Analysis, 5 Thoughts

• Like Like x 7
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If you have to say "You're back", you're not back.

Fact is I still believe talent wise we are a lot closer to the team that almost beat LSU than the team that has a 8-5 record. I think Naviar proved that a competent DC can put together a game plan to put talented players in position to make plays.

I will tell you right now, the Dline was put in the right position to make plays, and damn, those guys made plays, and a lot of them.

Ossai needs to be a DE now!!! We need a replacement for Roach, but a 4 man front with Ossai, Graham, Coburn, and a Badass DE would be exactly what this team needs to really take the next step.

I dare say that if we ran this defense all year, we wouldn't have had nearly the number of injuries we had. This team is what I thought we would see all year.

8 returning starters on Defense
    8 returning starters on Offense
    2020 has to be our year or we are never going to win this conference.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

same recipe that LSU had going into this season with a veteran proven QB...........cant wait for September...........Hook em!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. LazyHorn

LazyHorn 25+ Posts

Great job, both players and coaches!
    Dominating an opponent just feels........special

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Injured.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Highlights

• Like Like x 6
  9. oilburner

oilburner 100+ Posts

Proud of this game!!

Watched the win over the Utes with some solid crimson BAMA fans. They see Texas is on the upswing and know we will be dominating when we meet Sep 2022.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Oddity -- Texas has more bowl wins than ou this decade. Literally the worst decade in Texas football history.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
    • Hot Hot x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

This^^^^^^

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Utah quarterback Tyler Huntley on the loss --

"We took it more as a vacation than preparing for a game, and it came back to bite us."

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What was the defense? Roach said it was "entirely new." And we put it in place with just 8 practices. Sounds like it was Naviar's idea?
    I remember seeing Cort Jaquess' name early and will admit my immediate reaction was "uh oh" but he was terrific, deserved his PT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Are you sure? There's a genius on this board who thinks we don't have enough talent and aren't deep enough. :yippee:

I think last night proved if we put our solid talent in the right position to be successful we can win a lot of games next year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BurntOrangeLH

There were 4 DB not playing by the end of the game. Adimora was playing safety as a freshman at DBU. He and the other young DB made mistakes earlier but learned very quickly from them. That, folks, is development.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BurntOrangeLH

Texas lost 2 DB during the game. So not a very well founded statement. We lost only one LB (McCulloch) and a little of Mitchell for a few games and no DL.

18. BurntOrangeLH

And now they're making excuses for their lack of success and four consecutive one-and-dones in the CFP. It is great they got there, but they sure folded when they did.

19. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I didn't make the statement, BOLH. I just agreed with it.
    ...Still do.
    I think it would be hard to argue that stouter play up front doesn't protect the players and action on the back-end, regardless of who may have been injured last night. JMO

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I like the visuals of the game and even the commentary in second half , thinking all that could have a positive influence on recruits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Put me in the injuries made a difference on defense this year team.

But...there were more bodies up on the line last night The pressure was constant and coming from multiple angles.

It looked good.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Speaking of basketball, the Lady Longhorns are on a 4-game win streak, including a win over previous #1 Stanford. Their next game is Friday on LHN against a pretty good TCU team.

• Like Like x 1
  23. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So...titty baby excuses, as usual.

Not sure how lack of preparation translates to being manhandled in the game itself. Once they are being mishandled, if they are better, can't they just be more physical?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

This really is what losers say. It's sad. Sack up. Take it like a man. Give your opponent respect in public, even if you do think your team took the game too lightly.

This makes me angry at baker Mayfield for some reason. Lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Thanks, I haven't been called a genius in...days.

:ousucksnana:

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

"Im a cuck" - Tyler Huntley

• Funny Funny x 3
  27. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Sounds like a dismissive excuse to me. Much like the Bulldogs excuse about being let down before the game last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

That's a great point and speaking of recruiting.... Utah had more to gain tonight in that regard than we did, imo. A win over TEXAS would be a nice feather in their cap. It's not like "WE'RE UTAH" and everyone gets out of their way. They're not in a position to sleepwalk thru a game involving a program like ours.
    I tried this excuse after the 1984 blowout loss to Iowa in the Holiday Bowl or whatever it was. Didn't work for me then, won't work for anyone else going forward either

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  30. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Well, first of all, playing a true freshman on December 31 is not like September or October. Second, against Utah, dbs were less the worry. If we had had to play last night without Roach, Coburn and Ossai, that would be more like Big 12 games being down 4 dbs.