Horns vs. ksu will be huge challenge

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by caryhorn, Feb 7, 2018.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

ksu has won some big games against very tough teams. Just like the horns. They are sitting a game up on us in the B12 standings, and in their overall schedule. However, I do think our strength of Schedule is better than ksu.

In addition to facing a ksu that's playing tough, disciplined, well coached basketball, we have had trouble winning two in a row. Can Shaka get the team focused, get them to take ksu seriously, and get them to play disciplined ball for the full 40 minutes? Having 3-4 freshman on the floor at the same time poses quite a challenge for the coach. Even when they are as talented as ours.

We obviously have an advantage with our bigs. But ksu will go to school on ttu's victory over the good guys: try to foul Bamba out, slash their guards to the paint, trying to draw fouls. Simms, O, and Febres need to raise offensive contribution. Bamba, Davis, Roach, and Coleman need to remain consistent, and Coleman must find his team mates for assists.

This will be a close game. We will be fortunate to get the V. I really hope the crowd will be large and loud!! We'll need them!

2. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Cary, the Horns better take care of business and protect their home court or else the tourney will be in serious jeopardy. I think Smart will have them prepared and the OU victory should be way in the rear view mirror by now. Since it is such an important home game, I will say good guys by 10.

• Like Like x 1
  3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I like your optimism Samm. I sure hope you are right. I think the game will be very close; ksu is a tough, well balanced team. I predict a horns win, with the outcome within 5.

I must say, I like your pick better than mine! :smile1:

4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

At 7 minute mark in the first half the horns are playing very undisciplined, turning it over, not passing or slashing to the hoop.

Roach has reverted to the old Kerwin, forcing it when nothing is there. If they don't snap out of this they will chalk up an unforced loss.

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

At the four min. mark we're up by 1 point. And lucky to be. Three straight turnovers on our last three possessions. Damn. Our guys are playing like they're on a playground with no plan. Shaka needs to call them out and get in their faces with some serious chewing.

6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

34 all at the half. Horns look bad. 8 first half turnovers. Coleman and Roach turning it over. Half court offense is very bad.

Bamba is about the only positive I can see. He's got almost half our points. And he has a couple of blocs. Simms was working hard, but our guards seem set on dribbling straight into trouble and losing the ball. Our bigs are not being fed the ball down low; and our shooters aren't getting good looks outside.

Weber is out coaching Smart. His team is working hard to get easy layups, and mixing in the open 3.
    Other than all this, things are going just fine. :brickwall:

7. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Don't know what happened - the first 5 min or so, they were moving the ball inside getting the easy points off of feeds and rebounds. Then the sloppy play started and let KSU come back into the game.

8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Exactly. They lost focus. Turnovers, and lazy play on offense like this is just frustrating to the max. This team cannot win playing like this. They have to play to their strengths, i.e. Bigs on offense first and second. Alley oops, etc. Where is it??

9. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Right now, we're fortunate to be down by only 5

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The passes to the interior are literally the slowest and most predictable thing I've ever seen. I thought Coleman was supposed to be the PG? Why do Davis and Roach take on that role and then give it away?

Oh, and Davis/Roach suck so hard at shooting. And we have no guard help coming in the next recruiting class.

11. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The one damn thing you couldn't do there was foul, Roach.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Roach's foul ended this game. That was horrible. Better to let them hit the shot.

13. ProdigalHorn

This showed one of the big issues with this team. They have no sense of urgency unless they're forced into it. This was a game that they really REALLY needed to show up and win, and the performance was just sloppy, unfocused, just a poor all-around game.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Stupid time to pass it underneath. Once again the interior fails us.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ProdigalHorn

Wow... and Coleman has a drive to the lane and he just needs to take it to the rim, and he throws it away. Coleman is just killing me - how are you so good one game and so bad the next?

• Like Like x 1
  16. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

Coleman!!!! - WTF was that?????

• Like Like x 1
  17. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

KSU understands fouls to give. And how to defend the inbounds pass.

• Like Like x 1
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

They simply have no half court offensive plan to deal with a disciplined team. We beat ou because trae young put up and missed a ton of 25+ ft. shots. Bad shots that gave us easy rebounds and easy opportunities on the break. Plus, we hit some threes.
    Tonight we played just awful. Roach was bad. Davis not much better. Coleman played like a below average B12 point tonight. Against ou, he was above average.

Shaka needs to be tougher on his players. They still make way too many dumb mistakes. I just cannot have any real trust in them. They cannot put together two good games in a row.

19. ProdigalHorn

Has anyone guarded a screen and roll yet? I think K State is still dunking on us.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Maybe that sense of urgency will start with the road games. If not, hello NIT!

21. ProdigalHorn

They're in. They'll beat Baylor and OSU at home in the next five, putting them at 17-12. If they can find another win in there somewhere, including the Big XII tournament, they'll be in. They'll drop to a 10 seed but they'll be in.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  23. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

KSt was one of the 4 wins I was giving us. :facepalm:

24. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^This. I was screaming at the TV when Bamba would move to the arc following his big man who was setting a screen, and then Bamba switches (Why?) and STAYS at the arc defending a guard who repeatedly fed the rolling big guy who was standing alone at the hoop while bamba played footsies with the guard at the arc.

What in the hell is going on with that??

One more thing. Why in the heck are Coleman and Roach taking turns driving into traffic and turning the ball over. They look like Ehlinger ramming the line on a quarterback sneak. And the result is the same. Turnover.

sorry for the rant.

25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Are we trying to set a record for most uncontested dunks given up per game?

• Like Like x 1
  26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

We have Bamba, arguably the most effecient rim protector ever to wear a Horn uniform, and he is being geeked to drift to the arc over and over, while the opponent big man who is his primary responsibility, rolls back to the rim where he is open for the easy lob and resulting dunk.
    This is on our coach. Who is either hard headed and won't change Bamba's responsibility, or stupid for not seeing the obvious flaw in this scheme, or BOTH.

27. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Texas Basketball:

1-1 in its last 2
    2-2 in its last 4
    3-3 in its last 6
    4-4 in its last 8
    5-5 in its last 10
    6-6 in its last 12

9:03 PM - Feb 7, 2018

^^^This was my concern before the ksu game. We cannot put two wins together. Whether it's focus, scheme, or whatever, our team and coaches cannot figure it out. Very f'g frustrating. Weber, ksu coach, did such a better job last night than Smart in preparing his team to play within itself and do what worked.

Smart never figured out how to stop the open dunks/lobs that fed ksu all night. Why he didn't keep Bamba on the opponent's big man at the rim I'll never know. It happens every game. It was a killer last night.