Horns vs Red Raiders Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Go for Chizik. And to think I was worried about Orlando getting a head coaching job somewhere.

2. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Yes, that’s a “7-3” illusion![/QUOTE]
    Wait... didn't we lead in the 4th q in each of those losses and average loss is one point something.

3. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

When we were ranked #6, I KNEW we didn't deserve that ranking. Too much, too soon. I don't think there is a learning curve problem with the staff. Just look at the leap our offense took this year. It is a matter of talent. The overall talent on O, particularly O-line, took a jump up. The D lost too many players to early departures and the talent level took a step down. Next year could be another frustrating year, because our losses to graduation and the NFL will be massive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

6. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

4-1 ... turnover on downs counts too.

7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

it's taken me a while to understand the "back shoulder" placement ... but it seems to work ... a lot.

To the point we may have to consider amending The Great One's adage regarding the pass ...

there are 4 THINGS (PI) ... so the odds, thanks to the rule changes ... are now (have been) even.

8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

At the risk of being accused of hypocrisy, or of being brain dead, or both, I want to offer some positive thoughts about our defense.

I fully acknowledge that our scheme has failed to stop B12 teams the last few games. Giving up 4th quarter leads resulting in losses in the last two of three is not good. Our recent wins have essentially been because we outscored ttu and ou.
    BUT, many freshmen, and inexperienced sophs have had to play essential rolls. Especially in the back seven, where the B12 will eat your lunch if your players aren't really talented and savvy.

And I agree that we beat ttu because of turnovers, three of them deep in our end of the field where ttu was driving for a score. But ttu did not drop the ball, our youngsters ripped and stripped the ball away, and then others around the play, hustling and heads up TOOK possession of the ball.

The turnovers were due to hard play, heads up play, and physical play. The kids and the coach deserve credit for that. They were warriors and never gave up, even when out schemed, or out of position.

In other words their effort and heart kept us in the game and gave the offense the chance to win.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Can only imagine the numbers Duffey puts up if he was experienced...Texas makes ALL young starters look like Heisman winners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

that's a good point, @caryhorn ... and while it pains me to see 'em galloping down the field at will ... that comes from the pass-happy O ... and the closer they get to the goal line ... the less pass happy works.

we got the W last night in LBB and that's a good thing ... their last TD, though wasn't a fluke and there was legitimate concern 21 seconds with a TO was too much time for our D to defend 75 yards.

yes, they played hard ... but I think scheme improvement ... and tackling improvement is necessary.

also ... tired of Boyd's "mouth" when he was repeatedly burned/missed tackles

11. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Any team that wastes a pick on him, even as Mr. Irrelevant, should immediately fire their GM.

He gets a workout and a chance to be signed as an undrafted free agent..and immediately placed on the practice squad.

• poop poop x 1
  12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Agree 100%^^^

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^In this case, I hope the Cowboys draft him. god knows they need a new gm.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

So..."next man up" is clearly shown to be a load of crap?

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Roach made me giggle

• Like Like x 1
  16. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

Not sure what you call "really fast". None of our LBs play "really fast". Granted, Gary Johnson may be the fastest of our LBs, but he consistently gets beat to the corner. He was actually faster coming in as a transfer last season. But this season he's lost a step. That's in part on the S&C coach and the training table (nutrition).

No one ever said he doesn't hustle. They all hustle.

17. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

I can only imagine the numbers he would have put up if an alien spaceship landed.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  19. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

I think wind was a non-factor last night.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

12-15 mph wind is a lull in Lubbock

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

mb,

I disagree. Boyd has lots of talent, and he is wasting it. A GM that believes in his defensive coaching staff should take a chance on Boyd. Who knows how good he can be with quality coaching?

22. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Funny that he was really considering going pro early last year.

23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I agree. He seems to be a very good athlete but often undisciplined. If he is coachable he could probably be really good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

12-15 is plenty if you are downwind from the feedlot

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I agree as well. I actually believe that he will ultimately be a starter in the League.

26. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Then you can say this with 99% of the other teams in the country.

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  28. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m struggling with this question as well. While I think the D probably gets somewhat of a pass last night and perhaps last week because of injuries, when measured against other teams in the league, I believe we should be doing better. While our talent is not overwhelming, it probably exceeds that of any other B12 team.

Again, discounting last night because of the massive injuries, I do think that Orlando is not having a stellar year. As everyone has observed, all too often we are seeing players out of position, tackling poorly, taking bad angles. Some of this is youth, but much of it — when you see it from seniors — has to be coaching. Either that or the talent drop off from last year is dramatic. I have to wonder.

29. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Except they started the game at their 40 because we had a short kickoff. Now maybe it's irrelevant as we can't stop them no matter where they start. I guess that's a solid point. It did help us with fgs in the 2nd quarter. I remember Akers when we had great D's would take the wind instead of the ball. Have the other team start at the 20, get the 3 and out, and then get a short field. I remember one year in the Sun Bowl there was like this 30 mph wind. We took the wind in Q1 and jump on them 28-0. Course that's predicated on having a defense with a pulse.

30. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I agree Duke. It seems that the bad angles and bad tackling are things that could/should be coached up. It's to the point that I am screaming and throwing things at the TV. We preach physicality and those are both major and unsung parts of being physical. Being physical is more than just trying to blow someone up and getting called for targeting.