Horrible game

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Knoxville-Horn, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

What a horrible game.
    Mason plays like ***.
    Atchley plays like ***.
    Abrams and DJ play ok.
    James plays awesome.

Why in the hell didn't Barnes put Pittman back in during the last 10 minutes? They were getting completely abused under the rim. Did Atchley even have a 2nd half rebound? At least Pittman would have made them work for it.

I'm pissed. [​IMG]

The charge on DJ was BS as well. Did I mention that I was pissed? [​IMG]

2. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

Lots of BS calls. We win this game by 20 with good officiating.

3. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

4. Knoxville-Horn

The bs reffing and several of our players underperforming aside, I still don't know why Barnes lets us get run over inside the entire game without making adjustments. He's my favorite UT coach and I'm not trying to jump on here and be a fair-weather fan. I just don't get the substitution patterns. Until the last play, UW really didn't have much outside of 8 feet. We know exactly what they're going to do each time down the floor...and yet, they do it time and time again. I just don't get it.

5. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

This game reminded me of the KSU game last year. We were largely out of sync for the whole game, despite an incredible individual performance.

Ah, well. It's college basketball.

6. Bevoette

Bevoette 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] we looked like CRAP ! missed WAAY to many FTs and DJ did NOT charge !

I am soooooooo f'in pissed right now it's not EVEN funny.

and the stinkin badger kicked the ball out of bounds w/ 1.9 secs left and the clock did'nt stop

what a ****** way to start the weekend [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

8. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

9. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

Please don't blame the officiating for this loss. We lost because we missed free throws, generally got outhustled, and had a poor shooting night. Let's not forget that we were playing a team without their leading scorer and point guard. We desperately need Gary Johnson back because outside of James, we got outmuscled for rebounds consistently. I give Wisconsin all the credit for hanging around and taking advantage of a team that thought they could just show up and win. By far our worst effort of the season, and the officiating was not the reason for this loss

10. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

11. Knoxville-Horn

Well, I live in Knoxville so it's hard for me to follow baseball other than reading about it. I know the baseball coach is badass....I just never get to see it or him.

12. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

13. Knoxville-Horn

Oh, and this might be bad timing and all, but on the front page of the sports page here in Knoxville, Bruce Pearl claims that Gonzaga is the best team they've faced this year. Granted, he did state that it was because of their depth. Therefore, this post is somewhat topical. I just hate Pearl with a passion.

14. LonghornSean

LonghornSean 25+ Posts

Well that ******* sucked.

15. TexHorn71

TexHorn71 25+ Posts

Mooney was in because DJ picked up his 2nd foul, and he's a better defender for 15 seconds than J D Lewis. And the shot wasnt a dunk.

16. SchertzHorn

SchertzHorn 100+ Posts

For what it's worth, the officals were from the Big 10

17. Knoxville-Horn

I couldn't tell. [​IMG]

My favorite bad call was when Pittman rebounded a ball, tripped over a WU player, fell to the ground (without possession of the ball), and layed it off to DJ.....travelling. I saw a guy for the Vols slide about 8 feet, on the ground, with the ball, not get called for travelling. Something about it not being travelling unless you roll with the ball.

I know in the old days, that was travelling. But, consistency in following the rules would be nice.

18. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Knoxville, it shouldn't have gotten that far anyway. When you watch the replay, when he went up for the follow-up he got hacked hard on the forarm, not even close to getting ball. Should have been a foul inside.

Having said that, there's always calls through the game that get missed. As has been said, we lost because we didn't hit free throws, didn't box out on defense, and got quality play from only four people. (Atchley wasn't great but he did contribute and played hard and made some plays.)

19. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Without reading all the ranting that is always made about the officiating when we lose a BB game, I thought the officiating was very good. They let them play. And I thought the Horns played good, except they missed the cripples. They make all their putbacks they worked for, plus make their ft's, and then they win by 20.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

20. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Horn69, the offensive foul on Augustin was the worst call I've seen in a long time. The official was too chicken to talk to RB about it. One of the other guys had to come over.

That said, that call did not cost them the game, even though if it had been called right, they almost certainly would have won. Bad shooting from the line and BTA were main causes, as well as giving up 13 defensive rebounds in one half.

21. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

I realize that was a bad call...but to say the officiating was crap because of that is not really a fair assessment, imho.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

22. Bob in Houston

I thought they were inconsistent, but that's going to happen in a rough game. They evened up the fouls in each half.

The funniest thing I saw, from a Texas perspective, was before Pittman's first dunk... he ran down to get position, threw an elbow and sent the defender sprawling out of bounds. No call.

23. anhyzer

anhyzer 250+ Posts

24. Bob in Houston

No, because
    -- they had three minutes to overcome it,
    -- led by three points with over a minute to go, and
    -- had a 90-percent FT shooter at the line on the last possession.

Business was there to be taken care of, and they didn't.

They made way too many foul-ups throughout the game; I can't pin the result on that one call.

25. anhyzer

anhyzer 250+ Posts

I still say the statement itself is self-contradictory.

I would agree that the second half is the incorrect portion, since they certainly did have opportunitiy to overcome it. Had this call occurred with the score 67-66 as DJ was driving for the winning score with fewer than 25 seconds on the clock -- then I'd agree that it cost the game.

Bottom line, Texas shouldn't have let itself get in position to have a home game against an unranked team missing key players come down to refs or free throws. If GJ doesn't prove the cure for what ails our interior defense, we will get pwned by certain teams later in the season and postseason.

26. Bob in Houston

What I was getting at was what I was saying at the game:

When they were up one and needed to score, they should have been up four. It changes the strategy and the defense.

But they still had every opportunity to do what they needed to win; the call didn't cost them the game but it would have helped them win.

27. VinceFord

VinceFord 100+ Posts

Well, it was a tough loss. We should have won by double figures, but we could not execute.

But I think there were some positives. Our offense did not look stagnant like it did the last couple of games.

But we still need to get the ball down low more. We have to get Atcheley more looks. When he gets it down low he is finishing at a very high percentage.

28. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

Blaming the refs is pretty absurd. Y'all were in the Bonus almost 7 minutes into the second half, while we did not get even get into the two-shot Bonus the entire half.

Additionally, Butch got absolutely mugged two separate times that went uncalled, one where he literally was pushed to the ground.

The Horns were 'out of sync' b/c we were playing very strong defense.

Good game. Y'all will make some noise in March. Before yesterday, I wasn't even sure we would make the Dance.....now I think we have a shot at the conference.

29. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

You're delusional, AustinBadger, but you're welcome to it.

I can see that Wisconsin team making the tournament. Bo Ryan is a really good coach. He evaluates players for his system well, and he's good at getting them to buy in. He has enough players that have been there long enough to ease the growing pains of not only losing two pivotal players from last year, but also not having Trevon Hughes for the game.

However, the idea that Wisconsin is going to beat out either Michigan State or Indiana for the Big Televen title is wishful thinking. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be a shame if any Badger fans considered it an unsuccessful season if it didn't happen. That's not a fair expectation for this crew. They need to battle it out with the Illinois's, Minnesotas, Purdues, and whoever else is going to be fighting for that next tier just below the Spartans and Hoosiers.

There is no way Texas should have lost that game. Credit Wisconsin for doing what they needed to do to win --- 13 offensive rebounds in the second half alone!, moving the ball to the opposite side of Mason in the zone then attacking the glass from the weak side with a 6'10 guy over the 6'2 Mason. I hope Texas sees this Wisconsin team in the tournament, likely a 2nd round type matchup between a 2/7, 3/6.

While the refs didn't lose this game, that was still a ********* charging call at a pivotal point in the game, and it was real chicken **** the ref wouldn't even come over and talk about the call with Barnes after he made it. To reward a guy for sliding over while Augustin is already in the air is absurd. It clearly should have been an "and one" which would have changed the complexion of the game.

That said, Abrams still should have hit his free throw, both Atchley and Augustin should have hit the front end of their one and ones, nearly everyone who went to the line should have done better than 50%, and Wisconsin did a great job throughout the game with their gameplan, up to and including their final play when they tried to get the ball to Butch off the screen so that Abrams showed hard to keep him from getting an open look, which allowed Flowers to sink his clutch 3 point shot. Very good win for the Badgers, which should help them a ton as they enter conference play, both in building this team's confidence and in terms of their resume for the selection committee.

30. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts