Houston Tex/Mex

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Starter, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Starter

Starter 25+ Posts

Any suggestions...I usually prefer the hole in the wall variety with cheese enchiladas as my choice of fare. I like Tony's off Ella and think they have excellent cheese enchiladas but am looking for other choices. Thanks.

2. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

Spanish Village off of Almeda. GREAT margaritas and good cheese enchiladas. Very old school setting.

3. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

original Ninfa's off Navigation

original Don Carlos, somewhere back over in the same area, don't remember the address. they have one on SW Fwy, too, just outside the loop but I've never been to that location.

head down 59 toward Missouri city and off of 1092 you have Lopez's and on the other side of 59 you have a Fajita Flats (it is good) and then past them a little way's after you cross Hwy 90 there is an Eduardo's in a Kroger strip center.

those are all pretty classic cheap tex-mex, except for the original Ninfa's that is a bit more pricey because of its fame.

4. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Lupe Tortilla's...Tecate's

5. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

If you're close to Tony's, then try Juanita's. TC Jester and 610 right next to "Solid Platinum" Tittie bar. It's pretty much a dive, but they have good margs and the food is pretty good. My wife gets the cheese enchiladas all the time.

6. Pepper Brooks

Pepper Brooks 250+ Posts

Spanish Village - get the #47 - Enchiladas al la Taylor
    The Original Doneraki over on Fulton
    The Last Concert has great cheese enchiladas
    Lopez down the SW freeway is allsome
    Mamacitas in Clear Lake off Nasa 1, or the I45 location at Richey - Get the San Antonio Enchilada dinner. That man friend is some fooking cheese enchiladas, but you might want to make sure there is a difibrilator on hand.

7. biggie

biggie 25+ Posts

Spanish Flower is pretty good. Open 24 hrs to boot.

8. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

I 3rd Lopez

9. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

There are no better green chicken enchiladas or fajitas (beef, of course) than at Lupe Tortillas.

10. LosIllini

LosIllini 250+ Posts

Heights- Tony's, Spanish Flowers.

Downtown- LaTapatia (Richmond at Woodhead), Orginal Ninfa's (Navigation), Last Concert Cafe (Nance), La Mexicana (Fairview).

11. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

Gross, I hate the cheese enchiladas at La Mexicana. I think they put cottage cheese in them.

12. LosIllini

LosIllini 250+ Posts

Never eaten the cheese enchiladas at la Mexicana- but i definitely wouldn't like them if they had cottage cheese- yuk. I was thinking non-chain w/ them- and have had decent breakfast tacos/ burritos there.

Tapatia is still probably my favorite- but last time I was in there- they had changed up their salsa- and the place was real nice. Surely not a good sign.

13. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

you might as well just kill yourself

14. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

15. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

El Patio (Club No Minors) is the spot for "old timey style" cheese enchiladas.

16. RobbyHorn

RobbyHorn 500+ Posts

On a good day, Chapultepec is wonderful.
    Trouble is, which day is the good day there?

17. bandrew

bandrew 25+ Posts

18. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Spanish Flowers has really gone downhill lately. As alluded to earlier, Chapultepec is hit or miss.

Around the corner from Spanish Flowers is Teotehuacan, which is good. La Mexicana is usually pretty good. Other than that, I've found that the food is usually better at a taqueria than at many of the Tex Mex places.

El Patio is always marginal at best every time I've been. Tastes like a microwave dinner.

bularry mentioned some good places in Stafford/Mo City. If you are in that area, La Escondida on Hwy 6 near Murphy Rd. is really good. I'm just never in that area.

19. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Go to Los Tios on Beechnut. It's a shadow of its formed self since Gary Adair took over, but still my favorite.

Bernard

20. Hank_Kingsley

Hank_Kingsley 100+ Posts

I can walk from my house to Tapatia. I have been there many, many times in a drunken stupor and once or twice sober.

It's not that good. I had the cheese enchiladas for the first time a couple of weeks ago. They are below average.

21. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

Mack,

I live near La Escondida. It is our family favorite and we go weekly, including last night after my son's little league game.

22. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

bularry: so did you intentionally not mention it to keep the crowds down? just kidding, but the last few times i've gone (weekend nights when visiting my parents who live out there) it has been super crowded.

23. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

well, yeah, kinda,

and yeah, the new location has really boosted their business. they used to be up 1092 near the 90 intersection.

now, the new place is always full of people from Sienna Plantation and people further out Hwy 6.

the last few times I've gone on weekends I've had to bribe hostess and/or waiters to get a table without a super long wait.

24. goofybevo

goofybevo 250+ Posts

I would set fire to an orphanage for some of Lupe's beef fajitas. Luckily, I'll be in Houston tomorrow, so the orphans of Dallas can rest safe. For now.

25. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

i am going to lupe's soon after i return home as well. i have only been once, but i live close enough to make it a regular hit. is there more than one location?

26. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

27. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

there is also a Lupe's in Sugar Land and one up 45 in the Woodlands area. probably one in Clear Lake now, too.

we go to the one in Sugar Land, its good.

28. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

bularry: Yeah, I've been going to La Escondida for a while, and I think I liked the old location better.

29. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

If you go to Tony's on Ella on a Friday night, take about 50 women with you. That still won't put a dent in the guy to guy ratio.

30. TallTexan

TallTexan 25+ Posts

i'm going to go ahead and be the snob on this thread, but the best tex mex i've had in houston (or probably anywhere) is El Tiempo. I live in Dallas now, and the equivalent here is Mi Cocina which is complete crap vs. El Tiempo.