Houston Tex/Mex

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Starter, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Eastside

Eastside 25+ Posts

Surprised there's no mention of Molina's...for the potent margaritas alone, it rates up there. Three locations I know of are buffalo spdwy/59, Westheimer outside of Voss, and the new one on Washington. I frequent the Westheimer and Washington locations...washington's got a good bar scene, Westheimer's got a good bar, but very family oriented in the dining room (I'm not there yet, so I perfer the bar..also have a non-smoking bar section).

There's marginally better food out there, but the Enchiladas de Tejas and the carne asada are terrific. Great hot sauce, too.

2. goofybevo

goofybevo 250+ Posts

Went to Lupe with the GF on Friday while visiting Houston for the weekend. We rocked the strawberry margaritas, the queso, and the beef fajitas. It was just as delicious as I remembered. And since we went at 9:45, we avoided all the screaming kids.

3. TenaciousTgarden

TenaciousTgarden 250+ Posts

Goofy is so proud of the fact that he has GF that he has to mention it on random hornfans posts. She is pretty hot though - I'd be mentioning it all over the place as well.
    Goofy, did you avoid screaming kids at the zoo? Yeah, not so good with the planning after all, eh.

4. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

El Tiempo is pretty good, but I never thought it was spectacular like some claim. I forgot to mention Irma's on Chenevert. I like Irma's, although I don't like the surprise you get at the end of the meal with the price since there isn't a menu. Of course, there are plenty who don't care for Irma's. Tex-Mex seems to be more subjective and subject to disagreements than other types of food, other than bbq.

5. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

Mack, agree on the tex-mex subjectivity.

Irma's is fine, but you are correct, the prices are insane. Once time a group from work went, 6 of us I think. No one was drinking, just enchilada plates and lemonade's or tea. Our bill will like $120. After the lady rang it up she asked where we worked and we told her and she said, "oh, a lot of y'all come here" and knocked to price down to $90-something. that's a racket.

for me, I'd just like to have everyone hate La Escondida so I could go there and eat all by myself.

My wife loves the tortillas at Lupe's, so we go there sometimes, but to me, it is never worth the noise, wait and all the kids running crazy.

6. texfight2003

texfight2003 25+ Posts

I figure the lemonade (it is awesome) must cost you $10 each plus that much for refills at Irma's.
    I get an Irma's "fix" only when someone else is buying.

7. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

The oringal Ninfas on Navigation is starting to go downhill. The fajitas are still good but it seems like everything else is changing. They switched to black beans for the refried beans, brisket in their tacos, etc. Apparently a lot of people have been complaining so maybe they will go back to the way it used to be.

8. BA97JD00

BA97JD00 < 25 Posts

I'm extremely particular about cheese enchiladas. I've only lived in Houston for 6 years but my favorites in the city are Loma Linda on Telephone Rd and Tony's on Ella. Nothing else even comes close. The rest of the menu at Loma Linda is excellent.

9. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

Molina's and food is an oxymoron. That's some nasty ****. Aside from Jose's Dip.

10. utmb

utmb 25+ Posts

El Tiempo is overrated IMO.

Lupe Tortilla is always good - they have one in Clear Lake also off Bay Area or 528, can't remember.

Mammacitas on Nasa Parkway is excellent. Great margaritas.

Lopez is ok - not the best, but very cheap and always busy.

11. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

12. HtownAg92

HtownAg92 25+ Posts

Sylvia's Enchilada Kitchen (Westheimer and Dairy Ashford) and Los Tios have the best old-school chili gravy in town, IMO.

13. pigboy1

pigboy1 25+ Posts

There's alot of us who grew up on Molina's that have to disagree. Stick with Jose's Dip, Relish, Enchiladas de Tejas or anything with the beef fajitas and you cant go wrong. Besides, the Frozen with Salt is the only Frozen Margarita I will drink. I get Rocks everyplace else b/c they will never compare. Ok...maybe a Ninfarita at Navigation is close.

14. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

You might have grown up on it, but that doesn't make it any better. I grew up back in the day on Monterrey House and El Toro in Baytown. = Nasty ****. [​IMG]

15. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

I grew up on Larry's in Richmond on Hwy 90/South Main.