HOW did we get here?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TEXnSEATTLE, Nov 26, 2019.

1. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I would love to know what % you'd put on these things as to why my beloved LONGHORNS failed miserably this season.....

QB play 10%

OL play 40%

Defensive secondary 10%

Coaching 40%

add others if you'd like....

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Here's how I see it......

QB - 4%
    OL - 20%
    Secondary - 25%
    Coaching (lack of) - 50%
    Mack Brown Curse - 1%

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Coaching 55%
    Injuries + Lack of quality depth 30%
    All other factors 15%

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Coaching 50%
    TH being too loyal to the OC and DC 35%
    TH losing the team 15%
    WE have serious talent. If our players are coached properly then they will respond.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm done blaming the players, I'm putting 100% blame on the coaches. Preparation isn't there. Fundamentals aren't there.

And please don't talk to me about injuries. Anyone notice our defensive line is 100% healthy. Know why, they aren't making plays. Why because our DC can't figure out how to get them to make plays. I guarantee we wouldn't have the injuries in the back 7 if our big guys were making plays.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That and they are out numbered 5 to 3 on every play. There is little to no pressure on opposing QBs and against the run, the RB is usually 3-5 yards past the LOS before the LBs fill the gaps. That is on the coaches, they have to see it, especially since they watch film over and over. The offense is too vanilla, not much innovation or disguising of plays.

I hope all this changes by next season. If not, the results may be the same, extremely disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Herman trying to be a parent instead of a COACH.....When he started talking about unconditional love and players not doing things right and it was on the coaches to "guide them" in the right direction etc.....I said no wonder we suck !!! If players aren't in line, you deal with them and if they don't get straight you get rid of them...yes you care about them and you treat them with respect, but you can't coddle them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! All football coaches I ever had were more like Marine DIs, with a "do your job, get it done or put your butt on the damn bench" approach. It worked, too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

LINK:
    3 Head Coaches On The Hot Seat Following Week 13

Texas head coach Tom Herman
    Like Diaz, Herman probably isn’t going to get fired after this season. But the Longhorns expected a hell of a lot more in Year 3 this fall.

Texas was dominated by Baylor on Saturday, falling to 6-5 on the season. The Longhorns entered the season with College Football Playoff hopes and now they’ll barely make a bowl game.

It’s not even close to good enough.

[​IMG]
    RJ Young@RJ_Young

Meanwhile, Tom Herman looks ready to sob.
    [​IMG]

10. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

11. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

how long does the MB curse follow us? or, can that be determined?

• Like Like x 1
  12. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

I'm not sure what I think. I can't stand Herman as a person, but I thought he was a good coach. Now I'm not so sure.
    Our offense is simple, predictable, and unless Ehlinger or Duvernay makes a play, it's ineffective.
    Our defense can't stop a clock.
    We're unintelligent.
    And I'm beginning to think our talent is overrated.
    I hold players and coaches equally responsible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. LonghornCatholic

• poop poop x 2
  14. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

He works hard, no doubt. But doing a good job? How does Beck measure this?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Orlando has a good excuse (hurt players). What about Beck?

17. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Coaching & Coddling too much. 35%
    OC playcalling 35%
    Injuries 25%
    TE position is lost 5%

18. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Coaches do not play games. Perhaps they need to reevalute who plays, but guys who get to college should know fudamentals like tackling, blocking, ball security and primary areas of responsibility. The coaches should merely have to refine techniques and explain playbook responsibilities.

These guys were all athletically better than their competition on the field in high school so they got to skate on that margin. Now they have to improve among their athletic peers. Time to see who is paying attention and who is coasting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Does Beck really call all of the plays? Does he design all of the plays? Herman says it is more of a committee process with himself as chairman of the board.

The decline in the play of the OL is the most disturbing trend this season. If they do not dominate like they did through game 5, then there is no offense which can be planned. This is Hand's problem and I am sure he is addressing it and will ensure it does not recur next year. Offhand, I would say we need to play second team OL more often for development and resting the first string later in games. But I am no coach so let us see what Hand does for next year.

All of the "fans" who derided Cade Brewer's abilities may want to reconsider at this point.

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Texas OC Tim Beck on possible staff changes:

That's nice. But do you work smart? Sayin' and seein' are two different things.

You sure about that? Come sit up in the stands with us, get a gander of what we see and maybe you'll rethink that.

So's your mamma, but she has to be.

That part is correct, his fate and his offensive program are definitely out of control

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

There is one glaring aspect of blame missing from this page that is becoming clearer and clearer to me..and some others.
    Amazing to me that so many smart people on here cant see it, but that's just human nature.
    You guys are so focused on blaming coaches and play on the field that your missing the big picture.....
    There is a problem with the UT/Austin/football program/culture/fans.
    Sorry, but it is quite evident and becoming more so all the while.
    It would take days to properly extrapolate and unpack all evidence and detail this, but...open your eyes
    We...we...everyone and everything surrounding this school and program bear responsibility in this...and I, for one, am more ashamed/regretful of this than I am the team's record or how we got here on the field.
    The real question should be How did we get here as a school/program/fanbase/culture?
    If you dont think it matters....you better start asking yourself exactly what does a true, healthy, productive, effective football school/culture/town/program/fan base look like..and how does that translate to what happens on the field/play/coaching?
    Here's a big clue.....It most certainly plays a large role, these days especially. Larger than most on here apparently realize.
    Does you guys really believe the thing that separates UT from LSU, OU, Ohio St., Georgia,...or even down a tier OSU, TCU, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Florida, Boise St etc is just coaching?? I beg to differ. Every aspect of a town/school/program/fan base/culture comes into play. I'd say today more than ever. Fact is....We simply do not have those things aligned in such a manner to breed success on the field right now. Goes waaay beyond coaching and everyone around the school/community/program is culpable.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  22. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

It starts at the very top.

Tom Herman - 90%
    Everyone else - 10%

Is there a single assistant coach who lived up to expectations this year? Serious question!
    If the assistants fail across the board, whose fault is that? The head coach, is who.
    The head coach enforces the standards and he actually thought we'd be good this year. He really thought that. Let that sink in!

I honestly think if you find yourself searching for a wholesale replacements of assistants and coordinators, you might as well start searching for your next head coach.

23. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I consider Beck to be a great recruiter, he was Ohio States Ace recruiter in Texas when they got JK Dobbins, Jeffery Okudah, and Barron Browning.

He is a good QB coach in teaching a horrible passer how to throw the ball.

Outside of that, he sucks ***.

If he is within himself, he is a good position coach, just not a coordinator.
    I'm thinking the same can be said of Orlando, he is a good linebacker coach, just not a good coordinator. Or maybe he is a good coordinator who has no idea how to make his scheme adapt to the personnel he is given.

Either way, we need minimum of two new coordinators and a few upgrades on position coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

RainH2burntO,

Are you trying to say we have too much hype towards the Horns and no substance behind it? Highs are too high letdowns are too low? Just asking.

25. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I am sorry but this is so overblown. The external factors that is.

Fans the world over are more or less the same (except for aggy). Some are more rabid, some are more fair-weather, etc, but we don't have that much influence.

Austin is changing a LOT, but its still more or less the same city that the 2005 - 2009 squads, which were great teams, played in.

I do think that the importance of the Athletic Department is underestimated. Having the right HC and the right AD is paramount. Missing either, and the program will not hit on all cylinders.
    Our Athletic Department was a huge mess after Deloss left during a very critical juncture in Texas football. We have had neither the right coach or the right AD.

Now that we have CDC i believe we have half the equation right, and once he gets to execute a proper HC search we may be on the right track again.

26. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Herman says that the buck stops with him. I agree. It's on him.

Poor game management and in game decisions have killed us more than once. Failure to fix the constant mental mistakes on defense that leave receivers wide open for easy touchdowns is on him. So is an offense that is so predictable that it seems like the opponent knows exactly what play we're going to run before we run it.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

And the fing horizontal passing game that TB apparently learned from Greg Davis. Well, it works for a negative 5 yards every time if that's your goal.

28. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That's how I see it. He is ultimately responsible. I wonder if he even reviews game plans for the upcoming games, or is he more of a "man, I hope we have a good O and D game plan this week" type guy.

29. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

This is a reasonable post at least. These (my post+yours) are the types of discussions that should be had.....instead of just yelling fire the coach..fire the players ..fire everyone!!!
    Talk like you and I are talking...look at everything...then look at the coaches.
    I know you say its overblown, but...there's great danger in missing here. If what I say is true...anything else will just be band aids.
    Maybe there is a coach who can overcome "it"....but wouldn't it be better to address these issues and have the right coach???
    And why couldn't we sustain better since '05?
    Think its time to take a critical look instead of blaming coaches and ADs only. ALOT has changed since '05...and I think it has exposed us.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I used to complain to a buddy about GDs horizontal passing game failures and he watched a lot of college football and would say "other teams across the country run the same plays and get yardage, it's just that Texas doesn't get yardage as much" (and many other teams). So, the play works, it just depends on who is executing said play.

• Agree Agree x 1