HS Playoffs

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by horntooter, Feb 22, 2009.

1. horntooter

horntooter 25+ Posts

HS playoffs are here. The real hotbed this week will be the 5a playoffs in Aldine. Nimitz (Brittany Griner) plays Cinco Ranch, and Dulles (Kelsey Bone) plays Northshore (Lauren Flores). Those games will be on Monday or Tuesday. The winners will play on Friday the 27th. Too bad I didn't plan a business trip to Houston, but it might be worth the drive on Friday.

Cokie Reed's team Waco Midway is also playing this week in Garland.

Here's the link to the brackets:The Link

2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Speaking of the playoffs -- I was watching the Austin local news on Friday night, and during the Sports broadcast, they were showing highlights of Pflugerville's game versus Converse Judson, and they showed Coach G and Coach Valley in the stands. Guess they were there watching Pflugerville sophomore, 6'1 Nneka Enemkpali. She had about 25 points and 15 rebounds in their win.

They then showed highllights of Cibolo Steele against Lake Travis, and they focused on a sweet spin move by Steele's 5'8 SG Meighan Simmons. Coach G was seen at one of her games earlier in the season.

3. horntooter

horntooter 25+ Posts

Nice to know. Thanks, Mooooo.

4. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

Here is a good article and video on the Dulles/North Shore game. Looks like it will be Bone vs. Griner as Dulles pulled out the win 68-59 over Longhorn commit Lauren Flores.

The good news is Lauren Flores had a great game, BUT further into the article it says that Texas commit Cassie Peoples was taken off the court in a wheelchair during her game.

Get well Cassie! [​IMG]

LINK

5. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Possible broken leg...not good news, but sure beats the dreaded ACL injury. Here is to a speedy recovery.

I wish I were in Texas so that I could see that Dulles vs. Nimitz game. It may be hard to get in the gym for that one. The earlier loss to Dulles may be the difference in motivating Nimitz to a victory.

6. Herkie Walls

Herkie Walls 25+ Posts

Campbell Center holds 5,400. plenty of seats for everyone.

7. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

My old high school is still in the 3A playoffs.

Go Cowgirls!

8. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

9. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Gotta admit that it is stil strange to see my old school actually get discussed once district play is done...even if they DO have a talent like Griner. Things have changed so much in the past mumble-something years (I was at Nimitz not long after it opened and had the transfers from Aldine)...

Tomorrow's game would have been worth going to see, especially being closer to the current house, but I had already made the plans to come back to Austin for our game... [​IMG]

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

with Dulles out of the playoffs. Bone may soon announce where she is going to college. She had mentioned something about making a decision once the playoffs were done.

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

12. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Griner's presence in the state tournament would tempt me to take a few days off and look for a cheap ticket to Austin. I hope that Griner gets to the state tournament for the sake of the fans who haven't had a chance to see her play.

I am guessing that we will hear something about Bone's decision very soon. It would have been nice for her to play at the FEC to give her a feel for the stadium and so that she could build some fond feelings for the atmosphere.

13. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

I haven't been to state tourney in a few years. Does 5A only have one game in Austin? From looking at the UIL site it looks as if the state semis are played as regional finals. Does anyone know if the 5A final is still played on Saturday night? I would like to see all of the finals. Are they all still played on Saturday?

14. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

TX...from what i can find, all championship games are still played on Saturday. The semifinals are also scheduled for the 5th-6th. I can't get the link to work, maybe it's out of date or has been changed!!??? If that's the case, then doesn't help you out much, huh???? [​IMG]

I'll keep trying.

15. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts

The 5A state final game is scheduled to be played at 7:00 on Saturday, March 7. The 5A semifinal games are played on Friday, March 6.

All regional final games are being played today/tonight.

FYI...Fox Sports Southwest televises the 5A final game.

UIL playoffs Class 5A

16. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Question on the 5A. From looking at the bracket it shows 4 teams left at this point and two regional finals being played today. Is a part of the bracket missing? It shows that only two teams would advance to Austin. Maybe I have just lost my ability to properly read a bracket...

I also looked last night at the Fox Sports SW lineup for March 7 and it shows that they are televising an NBA game but I know that in the past they have televised the 5A championship game, which I have watched every year. Did the UIL lose its contract with FSSW? Can anyone else find documentation of the game being televised?

17. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

It helps to page down (-; I should have payed attention to the region numbers.

OK...I see the full bracket but still unclear on the coverage by FSSW.

18. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

5A bracket

Scroll down the page. There are still 8 teams alive in 5A.

19. tott10

tott10 500+ Posts

wow, the Dulles/Nimitz game drew 6,335 fans. [​IMG]

it would be awesome to see the Griner/Bone match-up for 4 years in the Big 12. [​IMG] talk about an attendance draw. the possibility of having 3 of 5 Naismith finalists in the conference is exciting. no doubt Baylor's attendance figures are about to shoot through the roof.

20. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts

The girls 5A game television information is found on the link below. It appears that the game time for March 7 has changed from 7:00 to 9:30 on Fox Sports Southwest Zone 3.

Fox Southwest (zone 3) listings

21. rosevilleblock

rosevilleblock 250+ Posts

Cookie Reed scored 19 points and grabbed 10 rebounds as Midway beat Frisco 64-54 this afternoon for a trip to state. Midway will play in the state semi-finals at either 7:00pm or 8:30 pm this Thursay night.

22. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Thanks, 86. I appreciate the information.

23. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

rose.....it's COKIE!! [​IMG] Thanks for the info.!!! Go Midway!!!

24. rosevilleblock

rosevilleblock 250+ Posts

25. tott10

tott10 500+ Posts

Griner out of the McDonalds AA game??? The Link

doesn't seem to be a confirmed report yet. but the reason given is that the Nimitz HS Administration won't allow her the time off from school to participate in the game. seriously? i don't know if i buy that or not.

26. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts

Given that I have a daughter attending a Texas high school, I may have insight as to what Nimitz High School, or more specifically what the Aldine ISD rules are regarding absences. If a student misses school for an athletic competition not related to the school, say a club team tournament for example, then the absence is unexcused. There are obviously other circumstances that fit into the "unexcused" category, but the McDonalds AA game would certainly fall into this. After so many unexcused absences, it affects whether or not a student can graduate.

Perhaps in Griner's case, she has other unexcused absences and the Aldine school district is not willing to bend the rules for her.

27. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

What a shame. What fun it would have been to see her compete in the dunk contest. Let's hope she plays in the Nike game during the Final Four.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Haven't heard (really haven't looked for) any news about Cokie Reed and Kelsey Bone not attending the McD game. Wonder what the difference is in attendance rules in school districts so close together where one (Griner) is unable to go due to school district rules (supposedly) and the other two don't appear to have that trouble?

At any rate, it's a shame that we won't get a chance to see how these three on the court together. I was kinda of curious to see if Bone and Reed would both on the court together and able to help each other out against Griner.

29. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Are Reed and Bone going to be in the Nike all star game during the Final Four?

30. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts