'I Feel Duped on Climate Change'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Namewithheld, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The battery lasts about 7 years since it doesn’t get hot.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think there's something to having it in the back. My first car was a 1985 Ford Tempo, and it had a diesel engine - rare, but it was incredibly reliable and got insane gas mileage. It had a big battery that was in the trunk of the car. In 1998, when the car had over 300,000 miles on it, the battery died. That battery said Ford on it.

4. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Being an AGM from the factory also helped many of us get a LOT more than seven years out of them. But, being in the trunk ALSO made it a 50/50 balance...and for DRIVERS, that matters.

5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I was being conservative. My Miata is 21 years old and I installed the 3rd battery (including the original) last year. So, 10 years on average for the first 2.

6. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

ok, so we don't go directly to saudi and buy just their oil but we all know who really drives the bus in the oil market. almost all of the major oil producers are bad actors. maybe the battery players will follow the same path but currently the folks with a lot of raw battery material are generally better than the folks with a lot of oil. we already have the largest refining capacity in the world for petroleum. we recognized the strategic aspect of that decision a long time ago. we should have also used the same approach to battery element refining but we abdicated that to the Chinese and now they control most of it. we could take that mantle away from them if we wanted.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Damn I miss the days when the USA was the top producer and had a bigger seat at table
    Instead of groveling

• Like Like x 1
  8. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

OPEC has some level of control of prices through supply restriction. But that effect is decreasing. Further, Saudi Arabia is an ally. They are bad guys, but they are bad guys that we have a relationship with. I guarantee any of these bad actors will sell oil to whoever wants to buy it. That is true unless the US is specifically belligerent to them.

I don't know how you can say this. China basically controls the supply of the RMs unilaterally. Much more so than petroleum.

US refining capacity regardless of any absolute value is deficient. I have heard experts say as much. Thinking that the US is going to build factories that pose more environmental issues than even refineries is not rational. Maybe you statement was true though. IF, but IF isn't even close to actual right now.

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Good stuff in here about the global warming debate previously mentioned:

Overview of the Koonin-Dessler Debate – Watts Up With That?

10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

You still have a youngun' ;)

I've got one of the numbered '91s. Also on its third battery...

11. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

Good info on climate change from 1992

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Calling AOC and cohorts.
    Good man that Paul Harvey. He always knew “the rest of the story” and liked to pass on the info.

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What happened to the hottest summer EVAH?!?

AA0996F6-6E34-4DF8-8C04-6162514B92FA.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You mean it doesn’t stay hot until mid-October?

2941556D-6AC0-41BF-95B9-D10B6C941FDD.jpeg

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's pretty pleasant, but it's still warmer than usual. Furthermore, we went through a pretty bad drought that didn't really start to subside until yesterday, when it rained most of the day. Most of the land that's usually green is dried out and brown. Several trees are starting to lose their leaves, not because the weather is changing but because they're drying out.

Also, if you're looking for a city to bust my balls with, London isn't your best choice. Cambridge or Norwich are quite a bit closer.

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

.?
    I took mc's point to be all the alarmists in the EU predicting calamity from the heat.
    But if it was a different reason I am ok with that too:lol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Texas Republicans still not strengthening our grid. Time to get actual conservatives in there to return us to oil, gas, coal and nuclear.

19. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Part of the problem with nuclear is that SouthTexas punted on their permit many years ago. We would need the feds to approve a new one. SlowJoe won't allow that to occur.

As to coal...I firmly say we need to fire up all those mothballed generator units that Obummer demanded be taken off-line, and get the coal burning now that the EPA has been declared to have over-reached. Let's use a SCOTUS decision to our benefit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Your reasoning is correct. The oppressive heat in England must have put Deez on edge a little bit. I’ll allow it.

• Funny Funny x 3
  21. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Get that nuclear permit ready for 2024 when SlowJoe gets replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's his point - to a point. Lol. He also likes to give me **** because I complained about the heat. He has made that pretty clear. Keep in mind that he led with London, which isn't in the EU and isn't very representative of most of Europe in its weather. He tossed in Berlin afterwards so it would be less obvious and to give him some plausible deniability.

23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

My error in using EU. Should have not been lazy. I meant Europe.
    After what we went through Europe's whining looked silly.

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What did you go through?

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Seems like a pricy repair to have to do at 70K miles.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

And to think people still wonder why I don't want any of those connected pieces of crap in my home...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This is no surprise. Is it?
    "PARIS (AP) — France’s minister for energy transition said Friday that French electricity giant EDF has committed to restart all its nuclear reactors by this winter to help the country through the broad energy crisis aggravated by the war in Ukraine."
    Minister: All French nuclear reactors to restart by winter

• Like Like x 1