I got a new puppy last weekend

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Nolalonghorn16, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Always walk through the door ahead of the pup. Also always make them wait for 30 seconds or so before it eats but after you put the food in the bowl. Don't let the pup sleep on your bed or get on your couch.

A dog needs to feel like they are protected by their "alpha dog leader" to be able to relax and enjoy life. If you don't make it clear to the dog that you're their leader in doggy-understood ways, then their natural tendency is to try to be your leader and protector, which caused them to lead a stressful life and be more aggressive.

In a one-dog home, it's not as important to do the simple dominance things because your dog will not be competing with other dogs for status, but the dog will be tense and uncomfortable out in public b/c they'll be needing to "protect" you.

Hello, Cesar Millan, is that you?

2. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

3. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Weenie dogs! I love weenie dogs!

4. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

I kind of thought this would turn into a 'post pics of my puppy' thread when someone posted this could be the cutest puppy ever...and I'm alright with that! This is Rod when he was a puppy....

[​IMG]

Of course, he's 6 /2 now, but still beautiful:

][​IMG]

5. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

/
    /

Giggles @ the fireplace screen across the backdoor to keep Rod from scratching? [​IMG]

6. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

Yes, he has a tendency to scratch at the door when he wants back in...we've moved to a new house that has 2 access points to the back, and we haven't come up with a new thing yet....

7. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

Trust me, I've been there with my 3.

8. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

OK, OK ... all your dogs are adorable!

Even though I don't like dogs, I like to look at pictures of them. (Figure that one out.)