I had to put my kitty down today

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by NativeTXchic, Aug 29, 2008.

1. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

This morning was very traumatic for me. My kitty, Tex, had to be put down for a heart defect and fluid around his heart. He was about 10-12 weeks old. I had not had him that long, but the time I did, we connected very close. Named him Tex for his color. He started "fading" earlier this week. I thought it might have been worms or just not feeling well, but after he stopped eating, urinated on my bed, was lethargic, sleeping a lot, and could hardly get around, I knew I'd better get him to the vet. So this morning, he was put to sleep. Fortunately, I got to hold him the last couple of minutes he was around. This was the first pet I've had that I've had to put to sleep. Very difficult, to say the least! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

Really,really sorry to hear that. Take care.

3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear that.

4. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

I love my cats, I am so sorry, what a horrible thing.

5. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

I'm sorry for your loss...........always tough to lose a pet, no matter how long or short they are in your care. Take solace in the fact that you provided Tex a loving home during his too-short life.

6. Bevoette

Bevoette 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG] Iam so sorry. it's hearbreaking to lose a pet because they are part of the family.

**hugs**

I love cats and it makes me sad when I lose one.

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

So sorry for your loss. It is not easy losing a pet no matter how long you have them. We have a dog, 4 cats and a hedgehog. We've had to put down two dogs in the past and 2 cats have died. All were very painful to the family. We have an orange & white cat named Milo and he is by far the friendlist cat we have.... it might do you good to get another orange and white cat one day.

[​IMG]

8. NativeTXchic

Man, I haven't cried this much today in a loooooooong time! Coming home afterwards was tough! I knew I didn't want to go inside, knowing I would see his toys, litter box, food/water bowls, etc. laying around. I did though. I really miss him. He would be sitting on my lap right now, if he was still around. I think I will get another. One of the vet assistants showed me some kittens there that were 2 weeks old. I'm in no hurry right now though to get one. I need to put closure on Tex first.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Yes, yes you do. And only you will know when it is and there is no timetable. I am sorry for your loss and your sadness. Having been there before (as a few of us have) with a pet, I send you good vibes, warm hugs and smiles. I hate these threads yet find them impossible to ignore. A Hornfan in pain is our pain too.

10. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

grace and peace to you.

11. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

My tabby cat is 13 - i just gave her a hug. I dread the day she goes.

12. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

I am so sorry for your loss. Since July 2007, I have had two kitties put down. I bawled like a baby both times. It's always hard to lose a pet.

13. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

They are so consistent for and to us. You can have a horrible day at work, they are elated to see you, to be with you. You can be sopping wet, ditto. You can feel sick, ditto. You can be late to get home, does not matter. They love with all their being, pets do.

Gonna go dote on mine this second.

14. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put down two in July -- one was my beautiful Moose, who proved time and time again to be a CATalyst for Longhorn victories on the field, and the other was Blondie, an 8-week-old kitten who was sick from birth and had developed seizures. I take comfort in knowing that they both, along with all the other pets that have graced my life, are in a better place where there is neither pain nor sickness: they are whole, and they are waiting for me to arrive one day.

You'll know when you are ready to open your heart and home to another kitty. And that kitty will not replace Tex, but will add to his legacy.

My heart goes out to you.

15. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Great post, Texanne - brought a tear to my eye as I remembered the cats I've lost along the way.

NativeTxchic, my sympathy in your time of loss. I know how you feel - I cried like a baby when I had to make the decision to put my cat away. It took several months before I was ready to get another cat, but when I did, the newcomer established her own place in the home and heart. When you're ready, you'll find the same. Best wishes.

HornHuskerDad [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

I've started typing and re-typing this post for 30 minutes, I'll just say that I know exactly how you feel; my guy's name was Pete. I know it doesn't mean **** right now, but you did the right thing by ending his suffering, and it's better that you were with him at the end.

Everyone grieves differently, personally I would recommend holding off for a little while before getting another kitty, but whatever works is what you should do. You can't force yourself to stop feeling bad so don't even try, eventually the pain will give way to the good memories that you have...

17. NativeTXchic

I just want to thank all of you for the wonderful words of sympathy, care and concern. I still have not slept in my bed. I haven't even put the sheets nor quilt back on the bed from washing them when he urinated on it that night before he passed. It brings a tear to my eye right now as I write this. I feel so alone without him now.

18. S.A.Diva

S.A.Diva 250+ Posts

Sorry about your kitty...I just lost my Bulldog Samson in June...I know how you feel...prayers for you...

19. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

Our family includes six cats and 2 dogs and each is unique and special. I'm sorry for your loss. Hang in there it gets better.

20. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

I don't know what to say. When I lost my puppy, I came to hornfans to spill my guts because, as a father and husband, I couldn't do it with my family.

My wife and I couldn't look each other in the eyes for days. We didn't want to see the sorrow and start breaking down.

Just know you did the right thing for Tex.

21. TR_Horn

TR_Horn 25+ Posts

NativeTxChic - I am sorry about your loss.

22. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

I used to hat cats. Six years ago my daughter brought home a tabby that needed a home. James Dean is now my best friend in the world. The minute I come home he comes running to make sure I have made it back okay and look for him to let him know I am home. When I am gone overnight it traumitizes him. My wife says he sleeps on my pillow and sulks when I am away. When I get back home he will hardly talk to me for a day or two.

I am so sorry for your loss.

23. NativeTXchic

I still miss him dearly! [​IMG]

Its been a month already, and I still wish he was with me.

24. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Jeep the Cat has been gone for three years and Good Ol' Squirt the Dawg for two. I still get choked up thinking of them. Memories of several other old dawgie pets get to me also.

It's strange that I don't do the same with thoughts about my own Mom & Dad, both of whom I loved very much.