I need a laptop

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Jive_Turkey, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Nothing fancy. Just for basic home computing. Will do some work on it. Surf the net. Maybe finally write my screenplay. [​IMG]

I know very little about computers, so I figure I'd ask the experts on hornfans what they think. Pretend you were buying a laptop for a 14 year old child or nephew or something. For basic dependability, do you lean towards Dell, the IBM Thinkpad, HP, some other brand? Thanks

2. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

macbook.

3. homer

homer 500+ Posts

eye-bee-am (now lenovo)

4. congresshorn

congresshorn First Time Poster

macbook. black.

5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Definitely Mac. You'll pay a little more, but in the end it is worth it. Minimal worries about spyware & viruses.

6. CardinD

CardinD 25+ Posts

Depends on your price range. For what you are describing, I'd just go into Best Buy and get a $500 HP.
    Download Open Office and you are good to go.

7. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

maybe I'm naive, but I'm Windows user and never worry about spyware or viruses. Load up on the right software to fight it, and let the software do its job.

8. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I would highly recommend a Macbook based on your needs. Black or white, take your pick. Consumer Reports just rated them as the best laptop available. Apple's tech support is top notch and, if you live near an Apple Store (there are two in Austin), you can stop by and have an "Apple Genius" help you out with any questions. If I recall, Macbooks are the best selling laptops on the market and for good reason. Doesn't sound like you have any specific reason to use Windows, but if you do, Macs can run Windows, too.

Unless you're extremely diligent and pay for and keep your anti-virus software up to date on a Windows machine, you're very likely to encounter a virus or spyware down the road. I don't know anyone who's owned a Windows machine who didn't eventually get nailed. Not that it can't be avoided, but you have to be diligent and pay for protection. On the other hand, I don't know a single Mac user who has ever had a problem or gives it a second thought.

9. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

Sign up for buy.com, they past 2 weeks, they've been sending out some great deals on laptops, 500 to 900.

Mostly HP and Lenovo.

10. austintexas

austintexas Guest

you can get a MacBook with an 80g hard drive for $1099.

11. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I'd never thought of a Macbook, mainly because I'm scared of them. Never really used a Mac. Sounds intriguing though.

12. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

No reason whatsoever to be afraid of getting a Macbook. They are a thing of beauty. Just got a Macbook Pro and absolutely love it. If anything should scare you, it's Windows. Head on over to an Apple Store or retailer and see for yourself. You will not be disappointed. If you are or know a student you can get an educational discount. Also, the online Apple Store sells refurbs occasionally at a nice discount. If you can't get any kind of discount then Amazon may be having a rebate as we speak and no sales tax.

13. bighornfan32

bighornfan32 100+ Posts

or you could just download FireFox for free and not get any viruses.

14. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

15. homer

homer 500+ Posts

16. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

refurbished macbooks are $799 on apple.com. one year warranty. you can also buy applecare on top of that.

17. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho 25+ Posts

18. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

brntorng, after reading your post I looked them up on the website, which one did you get ?

I'm looking at laptops too, the 15 inch with upgraded video card looks like a POWERHOUSE.

I like playing computer games now and then.

19. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

20. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

21. homer

homer 500+ Posts

22. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

My work issued laptop is ThinkPad, it's taken a major beating and still ticking. Tossed around, dropped, airport abuse, heat, cold, you name it, it's happened. Thank god my lease is almost up, and I'll be issued a brand new laptop.

In general, employees should show more respect for company issued equipment.

23. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

24. Horn9497

Horn9497 100+ Posts

If I have a wireless network set up at home can I run a mac and a non-mac on it without any issues?

25. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

26. homer

homer 500+ Posts

27. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

I can't stand the macbook personally. I don't like the Apple OS at all and I find the macbook to be ugly. They are stable and great for certain applications but overall I prefer other options. I'd look at the Sony SZ models.

28. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

had you posted this 3 years ago, you might get one response saying you should get a mac.

now, its the majority. ******* allsome.