I survived the season: 7 years sober

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by BHud, Dec 8, 2013.

1. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

For those that dont know, I showed up here 7 years ago. Addicted, alcoholic, crazy, on the verge of divorce, spiritually lost, and a big ol hot mess. The love and support I received, here, via email, and via PM was....well, it warms me to the core, even today. And still, when I come across the difficult newcomer, I am reminded of the kindness and patience that I was met with here. So every year, I make it a point on or around December 6th to pop in. Even after a craptacular season. [​IMG]

It all seems crazy: as if that life was forever ago. And at times, it feels like just yesterday. It was so hard in the beginning, hearing words like "90 days sober," and thinking about 3 months without a drink or a snort. Now, hearing "90 days sober" makes it hard to fathom that it was so long ago!

Our ministry, Sober by Grace, is alive and well. We have worked with literally hundreds of hurting, suffering alcoholics and addicts. The national average for sober home lifespans is 2 years and 12 deaths in those 2 years. We will hit year 5 in January, and have never lost a current resident. We did lose a former resident, and I think calling that young mans mom was the HARDEST thing I have ever done: but, it grew me. A lot. And it added to my resolve, my hate for this disease of addiction.

I do know this: if youre suffering, there's a solution. There is a way out, a pathway to peace. If you ever need an ear, or a kindred spirit, please feel free to contact me. I am recovered, and I will stay that way as long as I remember my conscience contact with my Higher Power (my good friend Jesus) and as long as I continue to work with others/

I would ask that in your day to day experiences, as you find addiction in friends and family members, love on them. Dont expect them to just stop doing it. (If they could, dont you think they would?)They arent a sub class of human beings, they are just broken.

Im not sure what the future holds. (Other than my story coming to print and Kindle very soon) We have had to put our dream of a full blown rehab on hold, due to the inability to raise enough funds. But, we are moving on to an IOP, and increased individual counseling.

May God bless you and yours ,
    Bryce Hudnall
    Founding Pastor
    Sober by Grace [​IMG]

2. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

3. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Good to see you back BHud. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good on ya B,!!!!!
    Went thru it full blown with oldest son when he was 17! Now he is successful business man running his own very successful security company with a high school buddy. Very proud.
    Merry Christmas all.

5. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Merry Christmas and God bless you and your ministry.

[​IMG]

6. SkySooner

SkySooner 100+ Posts

Huge accomplishment. My mother almost died back in 1986 before waking up. She has been sober for 27 years now and works in the alcohol rehabilitation field.

I have had my attempts at becoming alcoholic too. I stopped drinking a couple of months ago and don't miss it. It is kind of funny to watch the neighbors get all drunk at parties now.

7. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

Congratulations! [​IMG]

8. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Great testimony, BHud. May God continue to bless you, your family, and your ministry. Best wishes to you during the Christmas season, as we celebrate the great gift God gave us in Jesus.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

10. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

11. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

Great to see you post your annual thoughts.
    Good luck with your ministry and life the next year.
    Looking forward to reading your next annual post.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Bravo!
    Always enjoy hearing your reports. Keep it up!

[​IMG]

13. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

15. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest