I want to have wild sex with Win. Vista Ult.

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Apostle7550, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Mister Falcon

Mister Falcon 250+ Posts

I have like a 5 year old dell desktop with XP and a new D420 Laptop with XP. I love XP and here's why:
    - It was cheap
    - It has never crashed on me. Ever.
    - It works well with all kinds of software
    - It plays badass games and generally does what I want it to.

I've played around on Macs before as my smug friend swears by them. Then again, he's at film school in LA, so maybe he has a reason.

I think Macs are probably fine - like anything I don't like the OS as much because I'm not used to it yet, but I'm sure it's a good system. But that **** costs way more and the extra capabilities aren't in areas that I'm interested in. Furthermore, up until recently Mac hasn't had near the software support PC has. The reason there are no viruses is because nobody uses them.

In summary, I'm pretty damn pleased with what I have. It has never given me problems, was affordable, and does what I want it to. If your system does the same, good for you.

In a way, this whole argument is like arguing over what's better, a Lexus or a Toyota (I'll let you guess who is taking each side). We use personal experiences to argue in generalities, and just go back and forth between the two scopes until the argument becomes meaningless.

2. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

LEXUS!

Toyota owners suck.

3. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Wrong analogy. It's more like Ford and BMW. The Ford will usually get you where you want to go, but will require more repairs than you really like to deal with. But, it's the only car you've ever owned, you don't know any better, and it beats walking or taking the bus. Then, one day, you drive a BMW and discover that cars can be so much more fun to drive than your Ford. You see the light, make the switch, and can no longer understand how Ford owners are willing to put up with mediocre transportation.

4. kellenarb

kellenarb 100+ Posts

5. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

My only complaint is WTF is taking so long with the Vista-enabled Cable Card hardware?

6. schnarkle

schnarkle 500+ Posts

7. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

8. judgroybeanbag

judgroybeanbag 500+ Posts

9. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

10. TheChocolateMonk

TheChocolateMonk 25+ Posts

11. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

Xminus6, thanks for the info.

It's not that I dislike Mac's. I just prefer a PC.

I still don't understand why a Mac is necessary besides that its just "what they use". For a work computer a Mac would be just fine since I doubt I would be gaming or tinkering with it and it wouldn't be my money I'm wasting on it.

12. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

macs stay in service much longer and there's no good reason to switch really. momentum is a powerful force otherwise there was probably be less windows machines in use overall. macs are the standard os for creatives. at this point you probably would have a lot of trouble staffing an agency if you only had windows machines. i know i wouldn't work there if there if i had other opportunities.

13. HenryGandorf

HenryGandorf 250+ Posts

this thread title (and the pages that follow) are so so appropriate.

14. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

re: 3D

Pixar uses their own in-house program running on OS X/Macs with Linux render farms (I think)

Dreamworks uses in-house programs running on Linux

Weta uses Maya on mostly Linux boxes, I believe. They may run on Macs, now that I think about it. I remember them talking about transferring large files/digital scenes from one location to another on iPods.