If you had 2.5 weeks off and could leave Wed...

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by HornInDub, Apr 11, 2008.

1. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

where would you go? Trying to find something in Asia but am open to anything.. we're not interested in anywhere in North/Central America or Europe...

2. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

travel around and explore or just chill and decompress?

3. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

travel around and explore. We're looking at Thailand and Cambodia at the moment but the weather doesn't seem to be too good...Vietnam is presenting visa issues (can't get them on such short notice...) probably want to chill for a few days on a beach somewhere too at some point but not for more than 4-5 days..

4. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Australia. There is a lot to see and do. I have a friend who recommends renting a small RV and driving around the country. I have also heard that riding across the outback aboard The Ghan is pretty awesome:
    www.railsnw.com/tours/australia/gsr_ghan001.htm#au
    [​IMG]

5. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

How about South Africa?

6. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

How about the Galapagos Islands? Or Tanzania?

7. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Great time of the year for Tanzania, for sure, but I've already been there. Same with Australia and southern Africa (but not South Africa). Looks like flights to Galapagos for us are on the high side given the lack of advance purchase.

Malaysia is looking like the front-runner at this point but still open to suggestions...

8. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Dubai? I've heard that is a really cool(maybe a bad choice of words) place.

9. soonerinatlanta

soonerinatlanta 100+ Posts

10. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Ceti Alpha VI

11. Doug E. Fresh

Doug E. Fresh 25+ Posts

It must be tough to decide where to go when every 6 weeks you have 2.5 weeks off to travel.....it all ends in May, *****. Which is why you should come to see Willie Nelson in Aberdeen. Come to Scotland.

12. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

13. ryskey

ryskey 100+ Posts

It's much easier to get a Vietnamese visa from a neighboring country. I got one while in China after a 2 day wait. The same if probably true for Bangkok or Phnom Penh/Siem Reap

14. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

thanks for the help everyone. We ended up going for Cambodia (Angkor Wat) for a few days then into Borneo for the rest of the time for diving, beaches, and wildlife viewing.

Galapagos came a close 2nd...

Fresh, jealousy will get you nowhere..

15. Doug E. Fresh

Doug E. Fresh 25+ Posts

Don't worry, HornInDub, we'll be thinking of y'all when we're sipping Dom at the George V next month. . . .Who's jealous now, *****?! And anyway, if you REALLY wanted to rough it, you'd bring the missus and come to Aberdeen for Willie. But, since y'all haven't been up here yet, I guess you're just too scared to rock it Scottish.

--Mrs. Fresh

16. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Fiji, Bora Bora, Seychelles

17. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Lots of great places mentioned. Geez, it would be a win-win situation!

18. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Northern Brazil. Beach and tons of things to explore.

19. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

20. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

21. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

What would you do in Vegas for 2.5 weeks? I can barely live through 4 days when I'm there...

22. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

New Zealand.

Or British Columbia. Or the maritime provinces.

Or Scandinavia (yeah, it's Europe).

Or Vietnam.

23. defroach

defroach 25+ Posts

i know he has already decided....i might have done the whole south america thing....but cambodia should be fun, my brother did a month backpacking through that area and had a good time