Ike Might Completely Miss Austin...

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by North Beach Horn, Sep 11, 2008.

1. hookem115

hookem115 100+ Posts

2. afat

afat 250+ Posts

3. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

I ditto the screw you people... I don't understand how you just don't get it... So many longhorns that attend the games are directly and indirectly affected that you would notice them missing in the stadium.. Nevermind all the other danger factors... y'all sound very aggie right now...

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

5. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

6. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Perry called it a tsunami. I **** you not. Only in Texas.
    The Link

7. Friday

Friday 500+ Posts

Nice. I looked on youtube and couldn't find it. When did he say this?

8. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

The 1/4 - 1/3 of our football team who have family and homes being affected by this storm probably appreciate the fact that it has been postponed.

I have state pride. I care about the fact that peoples' homes, livelihoods, and lives are being threatened by this storm. This is more important than any football game, it seems to me.

There doesn't have to be a direct connection between events in order for one to be affected by another. I see this weekend as a time for thoughts and prayers for our fellow Texans, at least some of which are presently dead or dying.

9. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I agree Thunderhoof. I am losing alot of respect for many posters on here who have so little sympathy for those affected that they are actually upset the game got postponed....not cancelled...postponed to just 2 weeks from now. They will play the game people.

10. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

11. tjhooker

tjhooker 25+ Posts

How is the weather in Austin today?

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I went out to check some of it out but there are a lot of evacuees moving about and commotion from it. But it is warm, muggy and somewhat windy with stronger gusts from time to time.

I guess it would be more traffic laden if traffic was not already congested coming in and out of parts of Austin.

13. BDog

BDog 250+ Posts

14. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I've driven around the city this morning and haven't noticed any significant commotion from evacuees. The weather is decent, warm and muggy, partly cloudy.

There are some legitimate reasons to have cancelled the game, but there's no need to act like Austin is foundering under the weight of additional evacuees and that the infrastucture couldn't handle a football game and an evacuation at the same time. In 2005, the combined Katrina/Rita evacuations were absorbed by Austin at the same time ACL Fest was occurring, and ACL Fest is a larger drain on city resources than a home football game is.

It was convenient that Texas and Arkansas shared an off weekend, it's good that we'll get to see this game played.

My prayers for those suffering along the Gulf Coast.

15. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Well, in any case this family from south of Houston was glad to find available hotel rooms here in Round Rock....rooms that had previously been booked for the football game, but cancelled. The ScoPros are on the right & the evacuees with their daughter & grandkiddies on the left (at Chuy's):

[​IMG]

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

That is awesome!

17. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

18. Friday

Friday 500+ Posts

The insults have flown both ways. Calling one side mentally challenged while taking the moral high ground is an insult.

What it tells me is there are two groups who disagree about how and when this decision was made. What's done is done and we can all agree to disagree.

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I think the real issue is not when it was cancelled but that it was cancelled at all. That is where I see the most heated exchanges, myself included.

20. Friday

Friday 500+ Posts

100 - you are correct. Although I think we should have played today, I respect the decision and your opinion on the matter.

To be honest, I'm getting a little worried about the game next week. Rice is playing tonight, but look at what they're going home to. This game was cancelled because of the hurricane and all that entails. They have to deal with the aftermath. Good luck getting ready to play Texas next week.

21. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

22. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Could we have played today? Sure. Should we have played, probably not. The lack of football fans in Austin, freed up much needed hotel rooms and traffic lanes to Austin, not to mention people to volunteer to help out at shelters. If you are looking for something to do today, VOLUNTEER!!!!! You are needed, if not YOU, then food, water, blankets, clothes, etc etc etc.

For those of you wondering what is going on in Houston/Galveston - watch this link for a few minutes.
    The Link

23. Friday

Friday 500+ Posts

I know. I wasn't kidding about the Rice game. They are coming home to a world of ****. The game next week could be more difficult than the game today.

24. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

I thought it was a little absurd to cancel the football game since it is just a football game what is the big deal? It is not like we shut down anything else because of the hurricane. Nothing very important was shut down just a sporting even that could have easily been played in pleasant weather.

Now apparently I was wrong to think that because a football game is too sacred and vital that it could not possibly be played without somehow compromising refugees and the efforts to help Houston somehow...or somehow it would be disrespectful.

It doesn't really matter I just found it a tad...bizarre. I hardly think whether or not a College Football game is being played is going to impact what is going on in Houston and Galveston at all.

Cynically I suspected the cancellation had more to do with money from fans and alumni from the Houston area than anything having to do with refugees or the best interest of the players.

But as a fan no biggee. We still get our beatdown of the hogs later this month. Then we get both ACL and the game on the same weekend which should make the hotels happy.

I sincerely hope that the Ike situation on the coast is managed well and efficiently and few lives are lost if any.

25. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Completely.

98 and sunny with winds gusting to 5 mph.

26. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

27. Orangeblood90

Orangeblood90 250+ Posts

Honestly, another 40,000 trying to head down to ACL fest is not going to dramatically shut down the city. A good portion will already be there and a large portion may be people already attending the game who would have been on the road anyway after the game. Non-event just like the hurricane was in Austin, nary a sprinkle and a mild breeze in the late afternoon.

28. marley

marley 500+ Posts

The Rice game isn't in doubt.

Their whole football team will hang out at Valhalla the entire week waiting for the weather to clear.

The Link

29. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

30. drborange

drborange 500+ Posts