I'll take this team seriously when...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BevoQ, Sep 8, 2016.

1. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

They get a big road win or two. The last few years we have seen some decent games at home (some we lost) but we have been awful on the road. Before I'm chugging the whole cooler of Koolaid I have to see a beat down in Berkley and a choke slam in Stillwater.

Notre Dame was incredible, I was there and I'm still horse. I want to go all in right now but I'm just suffering from PTSD. (Post Traumatic Sucking Disorder)

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

not getting hopes up too high. you're right, cal/osu will be a good litmus test. hope UTEP isn't a letdown week.

3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

It's certainly wise to be cautious with regard to expectations but after the game we saw Sunday, I don't expect a letdown and frankly I will be surprised if we are not 3-0 by about midnight central on the 17th.

Beating ND was huge, but how we beat them was revealing. The win was no fluke, and it was not a matter of luck either. With a young team and a freshman quarterback, virtually every unit held its own. Couple that with the depth being built, the love of their coach, the obvious team chemistry and their hunger to improve and this Texas team will be a challenge for anyone they play.

For two years we were surprised...in a bad way. After what we witnessed Sunday, I have a feeling that this year we will be surprised...in a good way.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Texas under Charlie Strong in out of state road games:

2014:
    Texas 23 Kansas 0 W
    Texas 0 Kansas State 23 L
    Texas 28 Oklahoma State 7 W
    2015:
    Texas 3 Notre Dame 38 L
    Texas 0 Iowa State 24 L
    Texas 20 West Virginia 38 L
    2016:
    Texas @ California
    Texas @ Oklahoma State
    Texas @ Kansas State
    Texas @ Kansas

I absolutely understand caution going into out of state road games, especially after 2015. We will be put to the test with trips to Cal and Okie State.

That said, I think we have turned the corner and I fully expect to thrash California in their house. I think Oklahoma State is a tossup, but if we lose it will probably be close and because Oklahoma State will be the eventual Big 12 Champion. I do not expect to see any poor road performances this year. I do think the Notre Dame game was the turning point and the road blowout losses are a thing of the past.

I think we could go 4-0 on the road out of state with 2-2 as the worst case and 3-1 the most likely with the only loss being close.

5. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

I hope the ND game will be a good starting point. . We played a good team, and now we can address any weak spots on both sides of the ball.

6. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Perhaps mildly off topic, but part of Mack's likability was his ability to win road games, games decided by 4 or less and winning 10 bowl games. He also knew that only good teams get "lucky", i.e. ("My buddy Donnie Duncan is a great coach getting his brains bashed in every week at Iowa State and he ain't got a lucky break yet" - Barry Switzer). With all of the success we had in the 2000's, the 2008 and 2009 teams were the ones that would go up to Mizzou and OSU on ESPN night games and be ahead by 30 at half. And having a blow out lead on the road effects both your team and the other. And it's is just plain *** fun, doesn't matter how cold it is. Same with a bowl game no matter how meaningless. Hook Em!

Discuss.

:cowrose::hookem2::texasflag::usflag:

• Like Like x 1
  7. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

Glad y'all didn't thrash me for being pessimistic because in fact I am extremely optimistic about this season. What I witnessed at DKR on Sunday was the "everything I expected and more" scenario playing out. I was so pumped up I actually jumped out of my sandals in section 17 at one point in the game.
    I think this team is good, with really really good potential. Their one game sample size had everything I wanted to see and more.
    The reason I posted this thread was because frankly I'm having anxiety about road games. Going into the OU game undefeated would be a BIG DEAL especially with a conference win under our belt. Sunday they checked the box for improved team and at Cal I want them to check the "focused on the road" box.

• Like Like x 2
  8. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

BevoQ, I am, like you, somewhat restrained in my enthusiasm. I am ecstatic over the win and like others am still smiling about it. At that same time I still remember Boyette saying ISU was not "a good team" and then whammo! 24-0. I truly believe that the team is different now. More mature and experienced. I am optimistic because I believe the Irish may well be the best team we play this year. Depending on how BlowU recovers, at worst ND is the second best. In the trenches, our guys held up very well against very good ND players on the lines. The fact that our young O-line was able to impose its will on ND is huge in my mind. All that said, I'll want to see us put a whipping on Cal and OSU before I get too full of myself.

9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

The road game situation is an area I am still not real comfortable with. we should take down KU, a little less confident with beating KSU and CAL, and OSU makes me nervous. OU is a quasi road game since we are technically the visitors and I feel pretty good about that game after seeing OU crap their britches against UH.

If we get past OU either undefeated or with 1 loss, we could be in good shape. Even though we played well against ND, that level of determination has to be shown every game. No let downs or week offs.