Illinois Student Section ...

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Barton Hills, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Barton Hills

Barton Hills 1,000+ Posts

f**k ... that looks fun. Crazy atmosphere.

2. Barton Hills

I take it back ... they rushed the floor. Horrible. f**k Illinois, you have a prestigious basketball history.

3. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Illinois basketball - like any college with a huge history - is crazy fun! The Flying Saucer is as much fun as the Drum. And Illini orange is awesome! ;-) Much better than that other UT Orange (Tenn)

I - L - L

I - N - I

4. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

This should come as no surprise guys. I've been to several basketball venues, and Texas easily has the most lackluster fans of them all. Im no genius, but i think it has alot to do with the season ticket holders that tell people around them to "sit down" because "they can't see the game".

5. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

6. hookem1962

hookem1962 250+ Posts

^^^^saturday's crowd at Lloyd- Noble didn't seem lackluster to me...

7. iowahorn11

iowahorn11 100+ Posts

Part of the email I just received...

8. Barton Hills

Well when Wisconsin came to Austin in Dec of 2008 they had a HUUUUGE student section in the upper deck at FEC. Five minutes prior to tip our student section was empty ... they began chanting "Student section. Clap. Clap. Clap, clap, clap".

That was pretty rough too.

9. iowahorn11

iowahorn11 100+ Posts

That's a game over winter break (between Christmas and New Years no less) so that's somewhat different. I bet Wisconsin's student section wouldn't be much to write home about at that point either. Par for the course of the Badgers' smugness though, so I'm not surprised.

It was also the night before the Holiday Bowl.

10. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

11. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

Leander,
    I admit I have just had some bad experiences at OU games and I'm an alum.
    I coach football and referee college basketball and baseball so I don't get to see many games in person. Last year I took both of my boys to a game with some tickets I had purchased from a donor that I know.
    There was an old man next to us who told me we needed to move back into our seats at the top..........the place was almost full. He popped off the entire game about us "seat hopping". That's the short version.
    If he hadn't been so ancient I might have considered kicking his ***. What a jerk.

12. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

I can see your point, but nothing against OU....they just havent been the overall basketball program that Texas has been over the last decade so i could see how this would happen. Texas has made the tournament every year Rick Barnes has been at Texas (im not 100% sure how long that has been but its been at least 9 years). How many programs can claim something like that? I dont wanna do the research but i would imagine no more than 10 teams nationally. A program like this deserves a better crowd, and it doesnt just start with one person or one group.

13. Barton Hills

"Let's go Jayhawks."

Ugh. FML.