I'm done with Tim Beck

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hookemhorns99, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Beck ain't going anywhere per PC. Tom says one of the most underrated aspects of the college game is coaching stability so all coaches will stay. Unless, of course they leave on their own.

2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I’m starting to board that Charlie 2.0 train

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

What makes this hilarious is that some of you actually think it's reasonable to expect a head coach to fire his offensive coordinator after one season. Get over it. It's not going to happen, and that doesn't make Herman a bad guy, a bad coach, or anything else other than someone who gets that you can't run through offensive coordinators like kleenex and expect your kids to progress. So gripe about Beck all you want, but this idea that we've given up on Herman when we're not even through Season 1 of an injury-riddled season is just idiotic.

I've about decided Randy Galloway was right. We are the "whiny orange."

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Come on now! Things can't be that bad!

• Like Like x 2
  5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

This is funny because most wanted Watson gone after year 1 but Herman is getting a pass for the exact same things strong got hung for lol

• Like Like x 3
  6. ProdigalHorn

• Like Like x 1
  7. ProdigalHorn

I haven't gone back and compared post history, but my guess is that the same people who want Beck fired right now wanted Watson fired in year one as well. And I'm guessing those of us who think you shouldn't fire an OC after one year were saying the exact same thing then. I know I was.

• Like Like x 3
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I was a Strong supporter. I wanted to believe Watson would improve.
    I couldn't wait for year two and the Notre Dame opener as we had all off season to develop a spread offense and prepare for that game.
    Strong even said they were not preparing for any other game during fall camp. Just prepping for Notre Dame.
    And then came that **** storm of a game and Watson was demoted.
    We play all season without a real OC. This was the beginning of the end for Strong.
    Watson should have been let go after season one.
    It couldn't have gotten any worse bringing in a new OC.
    Will Herman demote Beck next year and move Mehringer to OC like Charlie did his WR coach?
    If Beck can't field any more offense then he has shown then let him go.
    Spend whatever necessary to find the sharpest offensive mind out there.
    It can't get any worse.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Moondog, I get it, and what you wrote is a part of factual history. However, no one on this board should really think that Beck is the "real OC". Herman is the OC and, as he said during yesterday's PC, he has final say on every play. Is Beck helping things through his substitutions - probably not; but the buck on offense stops at Herman.

The real culprit on the offensive side is Mehringer. His group of players is the only group that has been spared all of the injuries, but none of the receivers seemingly do not know how to play the position, and some appear not to know how to catch the ball. Worse this is how they started the season and have shown no improvement.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I don't know why people complain about inconsistency in offensive coaching. We have consistently gone through one coordinator every season for five seasons. I can't imagine why none of them have developed a consistent offense.

If we just stay consistent in changing them out every year, we'll eventually get the right guy. Like Dwayne Johnson says :"Success isn't always about greatness. It's about consistency. Consistent hard work leads to success. Greatness will come. "

So we should do our part and consistently advocate for a new coordinator.

• Like Like x 2
  11. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

When they are as terrible as beck and Watson have been my personal opinion you move on. I get our o line is awful but we have seen zero improvement out of the offense and the fact that the defense has kept this team in position to win plenty of games and we couldn’t even muster up a field goal is awful. If we had something positive to look forward to going into next season I would be more optimistic

12. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Prodigal - The thing about the people who second guessed Charlie's choice of Watson is that they were 100% right ( I wasn't one of them but had to admit I was wrong)

You're right one bad judgment call does not not necessariy make a bad coach. But this one sunk Charlie's chances and it can ruin Herman too. I hope hermans confidence here is not just arrogance and he knows something we don't know. Because beck looks like dead weight. From hermans press conference it almost sounds like we have an OC by committee between beck Herman and mehringer. That's not good.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ProdigalHorn

They were right, but I'd question whether they were right because they really understood all the nuances of the situation, or if they were just mad because improvement didn't happen on their schedule.

What happens when the next guy comes in and doesn't get it rolling in the first year? Fire him too? And the next? We haven't had a consistent offensive team in a long time, and I think it's fair to say none of our offenses since Colt in 2009 (and you could make an argument for 2008) have been up to standard in terms of what we all want to see.

Tim Beck may be completely incompetent. But no one on this board knows what's going on during games, what decisions are being made, why, and by whom. No one on here knows whether this is Tim being clueless or Tim trying to make due with what he has.

Basically there's not a single poster on this board who has enough insight into the inner workings of the program or the details of the coaching and play-calling process that I would say "yeah, that person can tell you in Year 1 if a coach should be fired."

• Like Like x 1
  14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

This is all true but the numbers don’t lie

15. ProdigalHorn

Yeah.... that's not really a relevant point. Numbers give quantifiable data (this performance was good, this was bad.) They do not provide subjective information (i.e. "he should be fired.")

No one is debating the numbers say "this offense is bad." But the numbers are not the things saying "we need to fire our staff."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't think he's getting a pass at all. I hear people say we're giving Strong more leeway than Herman and I hear people say we're giving him less. It's almost as if this board is hundreds of different people and not one unified mindset. :D

Can't see it behind paywall. But as long as it wasn't in practice, we have nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

How can this be when TH isn’t even through season 1?

18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I agree with some of this because other variables do come into play but the numbers still tell a good portion of the story. Our offense is inept we are not even a one dimensional team we don’t know what we are. So yeah I disagree we might want to look into getting rid of the guy. He would have to win out or be pretty damn competitive the last of our games to change my mind. If the defense wasn’t as good as it is imagine what the score differential would be yikes. I don’t think most of us that think he should be gone are asking for 40ppg but cmon we can do better than what we have been. We saw life against Maryland, San Jose, and Baylor teams we should have beat no problems everything else is like
    “ok so that’s what we doing now”

19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He has gotten everything he asked for he has no excuse

• Like Like x 1
  20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Touché.

I’d say I’m unaware of any decisions which hampered Herman’s building his staff.

Even the locker room, eh?

TH also has the advantage of not having to follow the most recent NATTY winner.

• Like Like x 1
  21. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Yup especially when they were so close to landed saban only to need up with charlie but that’s another story

22. ProdigalHorn

Ahhh so now we're gonna fire someone because he could have done better. Gotcha.

23. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Better than 7 points and 9 rushing yards god I hope so. Can you look at this offense and feel hopeful about next season with beck in control from his current body of work here?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  24. ProdigalHorn

Yes.

25. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

26. ProdigalHorn

Which once again confirms the point. Numbers don't say that someone should be fired. Numbers say YOU THINK someone should be fired. So this idea that any action that doesn't line up with your interpretation of the numbers basically means the guy's not doing his job is pretty ridiculous.

I don't know that he'll be great, but I know it will be improved. The rest is just deciding what is required for the team to succeed. So if it's two years from now and the team's not succeeding, then that's the barometer as far as I'm concerned.

27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

You don’t get canned from an 11-2 Team for no reason. Our ypg and ppg suck so yes that is a big indication that he is not doing his job well. If he actually won some of these close games he wouldn’t be under so much scrutiny.

So I’m assuming you loved Bedford’s defense last year since the numbers didn’t matter?

28. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

While the offense has been hard to watch much of the season, it played well enough and got leads against USC and ou. As great as the defense has been, it ave up the inexplicable last second first half TD at USC then the last minute 4th quarter TD at USC. They also spotted ou 20 points and the offense came back to lead late in the game.

I see glimmers of hope and I think next year will be better. Foolish to talk about getting rid of Beck after this year.

• Like Like x 1
  29. ProdigalHorn

I don't care why he got canned at another job. Have you ever had an employer put on your evaluation that "he also sucked at the last job he worked?"

I never said he was doing his job well.

I never said numbers don't matter.

30. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

LOL... Where the hell did the "Tim Beck got canned from Ohio State" bullshiet come from?