Impeachment

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Sep 24, 2019.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It is. We can't have a reunion. It's too much. Unfortunately my own mother has been sucked into it. She's a huge Trump fan and they have all blocked each other.

2. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

To be fair, bystander, POTUS did mention the Bidens:

• Like Like x 2
  3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yes... I was corrected. Reading comprehension skills were lacking...

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A new Quinnipiac poll is out:

-- Independents against impeachment: 58%-36%

-- Voters are more positive about the economy than at any time in last 18 years: 73% say economy is excellent or good

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Watch now as [guy who favors my team] says THIS that absolutely DESTROYS [guy who favors the other team]!

6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Stat
    Did you watch any? Were there any facts ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I have a pretty politically balanced friend who says (and I paraphrase):

"Trump is guilty of a quid pro quo because he clearly mentioned the Biden's, the aid had been held-up and was soon released after he became aware of the whistle-blower".

He sees these as undisputed facts that in concert point to intent.

8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

This whole saga reminds me of the Democrat email release and the rigging of the primary. The wrong doing was ignored, but the information release was seen by the media/dems as the real wrongdoing.

I know I killed my wife, but my friend had no right to send my email confession to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The actual Richard Jewell makes it sound like the FBI has not changed one bit since they wrongly had him in their crosshairs

10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

So, if you're keeping score at home, the Liberals have it as follows:

CIA - Good
    FBI - Good
    ICE - Evil

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The timing part has always been a red herring. There was always a hard deadline for release of the aid of Sept 15 (I think it was technically released a few days later). The deadline is a Congressional appropriations rule -- I cant remember the acronym for that rule right now. But it was always going to be released at least by that date.

12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Not doubting you my friend but I'd like to see a link on that hard deadline. It would be good for him to consider. He's interested in these things as am I. I think he is capable of going with the truth regardless of who is getting gored.

13. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Is he incapable of finding the truth himself?

• Like Like x 1
  14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

No... just thought I'd spoon feed the lad.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The acronym for this will come to me - its a use it or lose it hard deadline - otherwise the set aside funds go back the UST (or maybe "stay with" the Treas is the better way to say it). I think the way it works is that earmarked money must be spent before the end of the fiscal year which is Sept 30 ("use it or lose it"). But there is another fixed requirement that a 2-week prior notice be given to the Congress, which effectively moves the effective "hard deadline" to Sept 15

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  16. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Sometimes that's what it takes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

See link:

The Hold On Ukraine Aid: A Timeline Emerges From Impeachment Probe

Fiscal YE was/is Sept 30. Also, we "shorted" them $35 million which apparently was re-appropriated by Congress.

Two questions then:

1) Did Ukraine know we had to release the money by 9/30?
    2) Why did we wait until the last minute to release it?

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I brought the idea up above that Rs might move to dismiss either
    (a) On the pleadings
    (b) After the conclusion of the plaintiff's case (here House Dems)
    (c) At conclusion of the trial before it "goes to the jury"

Here, Mitch on the Senate floor, deals with the idea of a motion to dismiss. He's responding to Schumer's letter, by pointing to all of Schumer's hypocrisy and inconsistency with regard to Bill Clinton, but he deals with other history as well

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It was released Sept 11, I think. Why does Ukr knowledge matter?

It's a giant bureaucracy. Stuff likes this happens every day. Obama missed a funding deadline to Ukraine by 3 weeks or more. It didnt matter then. Why is it relevant now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I thought there would be no leverage if Ukraine knew the funds were required by law to be released by Sept 30th. If both Trump and the Ukraine knew this (implicit in the conversation though not specifically stated) then Trump's "favors" were just that; requests, but not extortion or the like.

21. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I guess you can’t be a hack for one side or the other to get the ciphered facts. I hate both establishments. But one much more than the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Well, duh...orange man bad. Didn't you KNOW this?

Obummer is more of a teflon man than Gotti EVER was...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Geez it sounds like you were in the car with me and a friend last night. He said exactly the same thing, but added that Trump was guilty of abuse of power because he targeted a political rival. I asked, if no one is above the law, then why is Hunter Biden supposed to get a pass just because his dad is running for POTUS? He could not answer.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

After all of this, the latest is that it sounds like both Mitch and Lindsey are willing to dump the whole thing with no witnesses. Which is in conflict with what Trump is asking for. He wants the Full Monty. He wants vindication and complete obliteration of the Dem's case for all the world to see.

For me, if we must go this far, as it appears we must, I would at least want to see the whistleblower and Schiff, under oath. The whistleblower started this whole thing. He should not get to slide through it all with zero public appearances, zero testimony under oath and zero confrontation with a good attorney for the person he sought to have banished. People familiar with him say he wont last long in the face of a good cross. The American people deserve and, I would argue, need to see that. They need and deserve to learn of his political biases, his deep animus towards Trump and his close personal ties to John Brennan. Do him and Schiff, then wrap it up.

[​IMG]

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think we all deserve to see the bias and Biden's role fully explored on national TV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Lindsey said no Biden

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Lindsey Graham did invite Rudy to come before the Senate Judiciary and share his findings on Ukraine. But not during the impeachment hearing

30. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The FBI is the enemy of the people. You remember back in the day when they were pressuring MLK to kill himself? They have been bad for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 2