Importance of Recruting Rankings

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by aus_horn, Jan 22, 2008.

1. aus_horn

aus_horn < 25 Posts

SMQ has an awesome post on recruting rankings and correlation with on the field success. I suggest all of you "but Mack has the best class every year so he must be underachieving types" go take a read.

sundaymorningqb.com/story/2008/1/21/1614/43228

In pertinent part: Texas actually slightly overachieves--indeed, does better than OU.

2. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

Dude I consider this a must read for any Hornfan. Damn.....Good........Article.

3. JOSEYWALES66

JOSEYWALES66 100+ Posts

4. okhorns

okhorns 100+ Posts

You have to give aggy credit for having the #1 rated underachieving team in the nation. [​IMG]

5. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

47 Texas A&M 24-34 .414 14 -33

oops.....Having tied for the 14th best class over the last few years with Notre Dame, they have tied for the 47th best record in that same span (coaching problems with Fran?). I thought that was interesting as well that we tend to think we are underachieving big time around here, when in fact we are right on par if not slightly better than our recruiting.

6. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Nice article. It is better to let the raw data do the talking. [​IMG]

7. PeeJay

PeeJay 100+ Posts

Of course recruiting rankings do matter. But, there should be some method of reducing the ranking of a class if, for example, you signed two 5-star quarterbacks. One of the quarterbacks would actually be no more valuable than a 1-star. Stars don't matter if you never leave the bench.

It is not uncommon for elite teams to sign 2 4-star rubbing backs every year. At any given time they couldl have 7 4-star backs on the bench. Those stars help their recruiting rankings but may not help their team other than depth.

Personally, I think Mack is underrated for his recruiting mix by not having too many redundant "stars" in his recruiting classes.

But then, nobody asked me.

8. PeeJay

PeeJay 100+ Posts

Duh, if you see us signing any "rubbing backs" don't tell the aggy.