Iraqi soccer star denied British work permit

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Born_a_Longhorn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Born_a_Longhorn

Born_a_Longhorn 25+ Posts

This might be a West Mall topic, just a warning. The British visa requires his national team be ranked in the top 70 of the world. Iraq is ranked 71.

Akram was to play for Manchester City

2. HogsSuck

HogsSuck 25+ Posts

Something else that will be blamed on Bush [​IMG]

Honestly though, this will most likely be overturned. The two requirements for gaining a work permit in England are A) Playing in 75% of your teams internationals over a certain period of time and B) The aforementioned top 70 ranking. A couple of Americans the last couple of seasons have been just shy of the first requirement, but were let in on appeal due to different circumstances. I'm sure Akram will be let in, but he may have to wait till summer.

"Now, they don't have any excuse, we're a democratic state. This makes us question: Is there another agenda?"

Umm, no. They have rules, and the rules say the top 70, not 71. I think he'll be there soon enough, and I think Iraq is probably better than most of the teams in front of them, but lets not call it an "agenda".

3. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Didn't Iraq just win the Asia Cup? How could they be ranked 71st? Do they have a crappy BCS System in soccer too?

4. HogsSuck

HogsSuck 25+ Posts