Is this how a leader behaves?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jan 4, 2017.

1. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/04/politics/obama-capitol-hill-obamacare/index.html

I don't know if Republicans need rescuing or not, but you would think the President would be more concerened with getting the best plan possible for the people and his supporters.

He's the 10th guy in the court, who's taking his ball and sitting on it because he was the last one picked.

2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

No, it's not presidential but rather emblematic of today's politics.

In the same vein...this isn't presidential either if you're being consistent, right? Of course, this is simply one example. DT's twitter feed is full of them.

3. Seattle Husker

Or this one. I might have a lot of fun keeping this thread going for the next 4-8 years.

4. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think Obama can take some pride in successfully navigating the healthcare minefield to insure millions more Americans. The plan is hardly perfect. Here's hoping Trump's team can do better. I've seen talk about price transparency ... that would definitely help health care consumers have a little more control of health care costs and incent providers to keep charges reasonable.

5. Seattle Husker

Or this one.

Of which this was the best response.

6. Seattle Husker

Or this one where Trump sides with Julian Assange over the US intelligence services. This is too easy.

Of course,like many of Trump's statements this is a 180 degree turn from his previous viewpoints on Wikileaks. Clearly the new definition of leadership doesn't include consistency.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  7. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Correctamundo.

The ACA passed at the very end of Democratic control of the House. When Congress reconvened, there were some relatively simple fixes that the Democrats wanted to pass and that Republicans should have supported. But they weren't interested in stonewalled at every turn. They didn't do this to help Americans by improving the ACA, but rather to saddle Obama with a failure.

What @texas_ex2000 seems to want is for the Democrats to play by a different set of rules. Obama is advising them not to do so, and I can't really blame him.

8. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Successful? At what cost? Success would be insuring millions in an efficient manner, not insuring them at the expense of the economy, ridiculous regulations on businesses, more taxes on the country paying the highest corporate taxes in the world, and annual premium increases of up to 100%. We don't even know the number of uninsured people that are now insured because the administration is intentionally distorting that figure just as they did when the lied about the law itself.

As NJ states, the law is not a success, it is a failure.

To play by the same rules used by Democrats when the legislation passed, the Dems just need to sit down and shut-up since the Republicans are moving ahead without them.

Perhaps the lesson to be learned is to work together and compromise on legislation, which is not what the Democrats did when they failed on this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I always enjoy dealing with a gracious victor. I'm certain ACA could have worked better with Republican compromise and cooperation. Since Republicans are going to be in charge ... even to the Supreme Court that reviews it ... I'm hopeful the replacement will be better. If the replacement is nothing, there's going to be some political consequences.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seattle Husker

Isn't "sit down" what Obama is suggesting? The Republicans certainly didn't "shut up" and haven't "shut up" about the ACA since it was first proposed.

They certainly didn't but the Republicans weren't ready for compromise either. Do we need to revisit Mitch McConnel's quote to ensure Obama was a 1-term POTUS?

11. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I'm not going to shut up about it. I'm paying $1,000 more a month with now a crap for a policy since Obamacare's beginning. The "Affordable Care Act." What a joke.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I35 I'm with you 100%. My same previously awesome plan has hugely increased deductibles and I pay a fortune more (nearly half of cost) for bulging disk shots.

Because of the outrageous procedure costs I stopped taking them several months ago and just rely on vicodin and toughing out the daily pain until I opt for surgery.

Several services I've inquired about dropped my provider (Humana) completely. My OOP costs in the last two years have been drastically more expensive than past years with similar medical activities. F**k Obamacare, burn that pos statute to a crisp.

13. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

No. I just want the President to act like a leader not a butt hurt politician who occupies himself with "rules." And I don't f'in care about Republicans.

Liberals were lamenting how to explain Trump to their children. Right now there is a President in the White House who has said he won't "rescue" others who disagree with him on something as critical as healthcare. For anyone who has ever managed people or coached, how is that an example for children?

Obama is absolutely the worst. His ego did him in. That's crazy considering the guy replacing him.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  14. Seattle Husker

You must be in a terrible situation, texas_ex2000. An outgoing POTUS you lament and an incoming POTUS you lament. Afterall, those same characteristics are even more apparent in Trump and I'm sure you'd want to be consistent.

15. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

What's sad is I don't know who to trust more between the DNC or Assange. One of the two has been proven to be more corrupt than anybody ever imagined.

Another thing of concern is the Dems trying to blame the Russians. WTH! Every country tries hacking. We try hacking. This isn't a secret. We even got caught by Germany. But the Russians are successful hacking us and were mad at them and so now they need to be punished. Never mind that it's our own administration and government that was so careless that allowed the hacks. John Podesta's email password was "password." Our current administration and the DNC are just morons.

Oh and Nancy Pelosi, the China Shop already has everything broken. Obamacare was broken from the start.

16. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Obama acted like a leader for about 2.25 years. He had no choice but to give that up when the Republican Congress made it clear that they wouldn't work with him, even on things they agreed with him about. They were more concerned with getting rid of Obama than they were in helping Americans. To ask Obama to step forward and lend his support to the very group that has sabotaged him at every step is unfair and unrealistic.

I don't mean to suggest that all fault lies with the 2010-12 Congress. They might have put the final nail in the coffin, but bipartisanship had been dying a slow death for a long time before then. There is a glimmer of hope every once in a while, but the hardliners from both sides quickly put that to rest.

I was hoping Trump might come through with some sane, centrist policies -- then he quashed that hope when he appointed a staunch-right cabinet. Sigh.

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, but Obama would have been more successful if he spent the last 8 years golfing.

18. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

This is BS. Obama made it clear to the GOP from the outset he was not interested in anything they had to say. "I won" were his EXACT words to them on the subject.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Like this one?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

early morning tweeting

[​IMG]

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

22. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I try not to let people I dislike set the standard for my own behavior.

23. Seattle Husker

Clearly the blowback on his support of Assange got too great so he goes to his base and blames the media.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"Clearly?"

25. Seattle Husker

Yes, unless you ignore the context and sequence of his myriad of tweets and listen to his surrogates after the Assange tweet.

First he continues to question the intelligence community. Notice the quotes around intelligence.

Then 9hrs later he posts his Assange tweet.

Now he blames the media for putting his tweets in context? Yeah, I'm making the claim that his insiders said "you're on dangerous ground siding with Assange over the intelligence community" thus his follow-on tweet this morning that he's a "big fan of intelligence".

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Stating the obvious does not show Trump is "sidings with Assange. I mean come on ,if it is true that Podesta password Was password he was rope for hacking

BTW does anyone think Obama awarding himself a military medal in an nearly empty arena is how a leader behaves? That was really pitiful BO.

27. Seattle Husker

You need to step out of that echo chamber you are in. Assume Podesta who has a fairly esteemed career in politics had set his password as "password" on a gmail account. Then Obama awarding himself a medal that is awarded by the Secretary of Defense and previous recipients were George W Bush and Bill Clinton.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not buying
    And, at a minimum, its clearly not clear

29. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Here's George Bush "awarding himself" the same medal, in January 2009.

[​IMG]

I can't think of anyone more deserving of this medal than a Commander in Chief. Bush and Obama both abundantly deserve this honor (as did Bill Clinton, who received it too).