Is this what we've become?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by I35, Jul 7, 2016.

1. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

So SH, what is the problem?

2. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

That's most of it but BLM will not even acknowledge that it's an issue at all. You are not allowed to discuss the % of violent crime committed by black males.

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Black on black crime is much in the news and we are allowed to talk about it. Fox knows its viewers like to keep alive the old saw "why isn't the black community doing anything about black on black crime" and don't report on these kind of events.
    http://blacklikemoi.com/2012/09/al-sharpton-starts-occupy-the-corner-to-combat-inner-city-violence/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Interrupters

Lot's of noise and activity, but it's a problem with many causes and fighting it will take time and resources.

4. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I notice the left keep saying stuff like "all sides." This is a one sided problem. They try to make it equal fault to the problem. This is one side pushing a narrative that is now biting them in the *** because innocent people are losing their lives.

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

There are many viewpoints, but unless you like cops killing black people or black people killing cops, then there is really no "side" for you to join.

• Like Like x 1
  6. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

There is most definitely a "side" to join. First, stop with the empathy crusade. Join the side that does not promote values that blame others for your problems, and the side that understands that single parent households in the black community (the latest stat I saw was 71% of blacks are now born to single mothers), and the fact that blacks don't work as hard in school as whites ("don't want to sound or look like whitey") -who don't work as hard as Asians-, are the source of the problem.

Quit supporting Democrats that push their dogmas down to the educational system without any positive empirical results; faculty diversity, integration (separate is inferior), HEAD Start, "critical mass" theory, Afrocentric education, ebonics, ignoring research on successful minority schools because it doesn't fit a political agenda, throwing money at schools, blaming racism.

While you are at it, stop the multi-culturalism lie. Various cultures are not equal when you measure education and achievement.

Stop labeling "achievement" as privilege or advantage.

Support your schools and support tougher educational and discipline standards. Realize that the black poverty rate decreased more in the two decades prior to civil rights legislation than in the two decades afterward, and that the reduction was due to education, not civil rights legislation.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  7. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Red Rover, Red Rover, let Crockett come over.... Seriously, you offered a lot of viewpoints, some that I'll agree with ... but there is not a side. And if you don't have empathy for the concealed carry guy, his girlfriend and daughter, in Minnesota blasted to death when reaching for his license, you and I can't be on the same "side"

8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Again, you make the automatic assumption that the police officer is guilty. I do have empathy for the couple, but I also will presume someone innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The passenger was really calm about pulling out her phone, enacting FB and starting a live feed while her fiancé struggled for his life. The police officer immediately contradicts what she was saying.

He might very well be guilty. If so, he will be appropriately punished. However, it will be interesting to see what other facts might come out via dash cam, body cam and/or eye witnesses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I'm happy to let the justice system determine the facts and law for officers involved in the Minnesota and Louisiana shooting and freely admit that neither I nor anybody else should adjudicate the cases from the bits and pieces available through the media. The consequences for the young black men involved are already decided. It's likely that with better policing, they would still be breathing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Well said.:hookem:

11. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Empathy is fine but it doesn't solve any problems. I'm referring to the source of the problems.

The woman was calm about filming the guy dying. Really calm. If she had some empathy, or some common sense, she should have been trying to help him. To me, that was just cruel.

12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I have witnessed first hand two people pass away in my presence. Neither was unexpected and definitely neither were under the trauma of gunshot. I could barely hold it together for what I knew was actually a good thing considering their quality of life. The passenger's behavior was bizarre.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

I have no idea what happened in the car situation. What I find strange, and I hate to admit a bit suspicious, is her speaking and live streaming.
    I have always been fascinated by true crime, (long before there was a whole channel devoted to it!) and one thing I have learned from the millions of hours of watching is, listen to the 911 call.
    Many times, a guilty party will give some type of explanation or alibi on the call, when all that is needed is the basic facts. To me, her live stream seemed like a 911 call that spelled out an explanation of what happened, an "alibi" is too strong of a word, but I can't believe her reaction was to pull out her phone and start explaining what happened.

She could have reacted poorly in a horrible situation, or, she could have been putting out her version of events literally from the moment of the shooting.
    I will say that right now, it looks like a guy who didn't have the temperament of a police officer acted too quickly, and unfortunately, a man is dead. It seems like it was a very bad shooting based on what we have seen, and the officer's reaction. One thing I do believe is that the officer freaked out, for whatever reason and fired too quickly. He seemed remorseful about the situation. His actions after shooting the man weren't one of a guy out to assassinate black people.

The situation in New Orleans is a bit more clear cut, in my opinion. It's easy to tell in slow-mo, but given the facts of a man with a gun, who didn't comply with orders, who didn't go down when Tased, and still resisted when put down, I think that shooting will be deemed appropriate. It was avoidable, I don't know why the man didn't just do as asked, but since he had resisted before I guess that was part of his personality.

• Like Like x 4
  14. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

There are two sides. One side with common sense to the problem and the other that wants to push a political narrative. Also you act as if the police are waking up one morning and saying "I'm gonna kill a black guy today and ruin my life." The police have way too hard of a job to have to deal with the crap the left is spewing. Furthermore, bashing Police all the time hurts in recruiting great police officers for the future. What young man in his right mind would want to help serve his community with the crap the left is doing. The police have never been the bad guys until now. It started when BHO said the Cambridge police acted stupidly in the Gates case even before he knew any facts. He always opens his mouth before he knows any facts.

15. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Just fyi, from my count of articles I've come across today, police officers in 3 states were shot during traffic stops today.

Just saw a news report showing social media posts making rounds in Baton Rouge claiming tonight is the Purge and Rule 1 is to kill cops.

Protests are in full force across the nation again tonight.

This is about to get absurdly nasty and I'd expect more than a 5 min oh by the way comment from the nation's distracted President (half dedicated to weekend shootings by police and gun control) to contain this situation that's about to explode.

He's the ultimate leader of the American black community, so address the nation with adequate attention to the gruesome strategy just unveiled to others with violent intentions of payback to police.

Beat home the fact that unprovoked shootings of random police is not an eye for an eye, it's atrocious murder, and won't be tolerated.

Protect the lives of innocent cops who are about to become casualties in the name of the small number of pos officers who committed crimes.

What if a bunch of cops started driving around these communities looking for payback on innocent civilians in the name of their fallen brothers in blue?

Do your f'n job, Prez. Either that or dismiss your secret service detail and allow no security officers to protect your own well-being and learn their value.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Stress, cultural bias, emotional maturity levels and a general inability to retain facts and subsequently describe them accurately compounded by the likelihood that perception more often than not becomes reality are all in play when sides are chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Sometimes, the values two people believe in may simply cause them to choose opposing sides.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

Well, now we know that white people are the cause of Micah Johnson.
    I'm all for trying to understand where black people are coming from. I have been reading articles explaining white privilege to see how I can be more empathetic and understanding.
    I have read many op eds, stories, and listened to spokemen on how to improve the race relations in this country.
    However, I am frustrated that all the improvements seem to be one sided.
    Police need to learn how to de-escalate situations. HRC wants to spend a billion dollars re-training police and how to act around black males in particular.
    White people need to learn what white privilege means and act accordingly.
    What I seem to be missing is how black people can change their perceptions as well. I think there is work to be done, but all the work can't be done on one side to cater to the other. We all need to step back, examine our perceptions, look inward, and move from there.

I just don't seem to see that thought from the black side of things, and I hate making it a black and white, tit for tat...but black people need to accept and own their roles in how things have evolved. Keeping your hands visible on a steering wheel is something I learned when I was 15 and in drivers ed.
    Being compliant with Police was taught to me by my parents once I got my drivers license. No change will happen until everyone accepts that fixing things will only happen if everyone is working to fix them. I don't know how it began...now it seems like the chicken and the egg, and pointing fingers will get us nowhere. We ALL need to work on understanding and trust.
    Lastly, unfortunately I have little hope when I see articles such as this one, and read the comments and see the number of "likes". Of course, the shooter in Dallas is the fault of white people. That line of thinking will only lead to more incidents like the one in Dallas. Where is the accountability? How can we improve when only one side feels the need to change?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ing-america-racist-creation-article-1.2704556

• Like Like x 6
  19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Croc
    You were right to wait until all the facts are known on the shootings.
    so far we have learned that the guy whose girlfriend claimed he had a CCL in fact did not and there seems to be a vid showing the gun in his lap or seat.
    No doubt more will come out that could show it was not the cold blooded killing it was portrayed to be

• Like Like x 2
  20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

weeeeellllll ....

"better policing" sounds a lot like ... "if the cops would have held their fire a little longer ..."

or ... with "better policing" we'd have a few more dead cops.

Let's let the professionals adjudicate the guilt, as you do say ... but then you characterize the "policing" as insufficient.

That doesn't reconcile for me. Are the engaged cops guilty 'til proven innocent or what?

21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

So charges need to be filed in order for policing strategies/practices to change?

22. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I35's post is right, but only from the standpoint that the sides are across spectrums of political belief. In other words, the ones pushing political narrative are the ones who claim the police are hunting black people and trying to enact genocide, but they're also the ones who feel compelled to fire back at someone who says "Black Lives Matter" by claiming that "you must not care about white lives".

I'm seeing this more and more online and particularly in social media: people who would most likely agree on most aspects of the problem at hand going at each other because of terminology or a perceived lack of respect or empathy. Granted, those on the left are masters at it - now all you have to do is say "yes they say this, but that's actually code for that", and now there's no more argument to be had. You have just "proved" that the other person is OK with black people being killed, even though you would never say it. But the right is learning how to play that game, too. So BLM means you're OK with killing cops - or at least not willing to speak out about it.

We have to start treating people like individuals and stop buying into the notion that we need to drop people into camps and start fighting.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

How's that working out for Rudy Giuliani? How about Bill Cosby?

24. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Ironically, Dallas PD is one that has dramatically improved its performance and community relations. It has only a fraction of the unnecessary force complaints it used to experience.
    I loved Chief Brown's response to the protesters:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  25. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Prod, the problem is there is a narrative by the left that there's an epidemic of police hunting down blacks. That's flat out not true.

Just tonight on the Kelly Files she stated a study done by a liberal black professor at Harvard that showed whites are killed by police more than blacks. Before you state the population or % of each race, she said he took that into account and he was shocked at his findings. You know a matador was killed yesterday when the bull got the best of him. Who do you think has a better chance at getting the horn? Bull riders and matadors or you and I? You get in the ring, you up your chances of getting the horn. Blacks get in the ring much more than whites when it comes to dealing with police. I'm not excusing the bad cops, but only a small fraction are. The Justice system takes care of them when they are guilty. But too many times the BLM wants to indict cops that are obviously innocent and they don't accept the courts decisions or prosecutors that know they have no case.

We all want to unite as a country. But to unite there have to be compromises. What can the right compromise with? What can we do better? Because there will always be US citizens killed by cops because there will always be criminals. The only thing we have left to give up is the laws. It's like you don't want police to shoot when they feel their lives are in danger. Or wait longer to shoot so it will up the stats for dead police officers. Most all police killing involve someone breaking the law in the first place. We can't be a lawless nation. Because of that police are force to engage and bad things can happen when thugs or criminals resist. Again, if a police officer believes his life is in danger then I don't blame them for protecting themselves. Too many video's for routine stops show police getting murdered. The Police are the good guys and it seems the left don't recognize this.

The BLM movement are no doubt a hate group. If you can't admit that then our problem is much worse than we realize. Prod I just realized that I made all this post seem like it's addressed to you. It's to anybody that supports the direction we are going. This country is in a big mess right now in every aspect.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Here is a fresh perspective shared by one of the handful of liberal friends I have in Southern Denton County. [​IMG]

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't know if Chief Brown has political aspirations, but his political stock has skyrocketed. He has obviously done a solid job, and he's earning almost universal praise for handling of the protest as well as the shootings.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

A bit of background on Mr. Brown, you may have read already, but it's pretty powerful. I have also heard he had a full ride to the University of Texas, but left after one semester to make a difference as a police officer. He is also getting death threats since the killings. Unbelievable.
    - "his son died after being shot twelve times by police officers & his brother was murdered by drug dealers but rather than burn down the block he has risen to ...run one of the largest police departments in the nation in his efforts to stop police brutality....one of many EFFECTIVE non-violent ways to make a difference" -
    He is Chief David Brown, Head of the Dallas Police Dept.

I wish our President had 1/10 of his calming voice of reason.

I have a huge crush on this guy, not ashamed to admit it.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm sure many of you have seen this video, and though it was initially meant as a joke, there's a lot of truth to it. It's got some foul language, so I wouldn't play it in the office.

• Like Like x 1
  30. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Yet this morning, he is Uncle Tom on XM Urban View. Until leaders of the black community, liberal politicians and the media face facts, they will forever feel they are victims.