Is UT a Legacy School?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by hookmom, Feb 27, 2002.

1. hookmom

hookmom 25+ Posts

Ahhh...It's THAT time of year again. All the seniors in High School are receiving the good with the bad in regards to college acceptances. Which brings me to this question.
    Is UT a legacy school? As an out of stater parent of a UT student, we have another one waiting in the wings. Hookson2 wants to be the second son to attend The University. I know that some schools are "Legacy" schools. ie. Notre Dame...does that rule hold true for UT?

Just curious..any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Hook 'em....still on cloud nine over the Longhorn Victory last night!!! We got to see the game all the way up here in NJ..life is orange!

2. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

No UT is not a legacy school to my knowledge. My wife was a third generation horn who had the grades to get in and eventually graduated from UT. Her lil bro however did not QUITE have the grades and despite his grandfather having a Presidential Endowment Scholarship named after him, he had zero luck getting in The University.

Therefore, I do not think it is a Legacy School.

3. Gambino Family

Gambino Family < 25 Posts

The size of the University makes it almost impossible for it to be a legacy school.....Strcitly numbers. That being said if you "know someone" that can help a great deal when it comes to interviews that they now have for undergrads.

4. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

It depends how much money you have donated to the Football program... [​IMG]

5. The Three I's

The Three I's 25+ Posts

Having a brother attending UT will not help your son. Having a dad name Red McCombs or Tom Hicks would.

6. hookmom

hookmom 25+ Posts

That isn't too encouraging!LOL!...I wonder if out of staters though have a slightly better edge..Oh well, I suppose that's why the kids apply to about twelve or so schools!!

Thanks and Hook 'em!

7. hookmom

hookmom 25+ Posts

H.mmmmm........maybe some palimony is in order?

Only foolin'!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hook 'em!

8. utstudboy

utstudboy 250+ Posts

Hookmom what are your son's first names?

9. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

Are you a Kennedy? [​IMG]

10. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

"This is Kent Dorfman, Otter, and he's a legacy."

11. The Three I's

The Three I's 25+ Posts

hookmom's sons

[​IMG]

12. hookmom

hookmom 25+ Posts

ThreeIII's. I'm Sorry, you posted a photo of you and your brother instead..that was a silly mistake. Someday you and your brother will look normal.

Hook 'em!

13. hookmom

hookmom 25+ Posts

That's funny you should ask. My rather large Irish Catholic family seems to believe we are the Kennedys...except we are republicans instead. LOL!!!

Hook 'em!

14. hookum

hookum < 25 Posts

UT is NOT a legacy school...especially with the new 10% law, there just isn't enough room at The University for "legacies" that don't make the cut. If you don't have the grades, SAT and resume, it is becoming more and more difficult to get in.

15. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

If you have connections though (really high ones) you will get in where you want. One friend at my school got into communications school instead of business and another person with some stats got into business, his dad knows some ppl.

16. Drew99

Drew99 < 25 Posts

17. Kricketbo

Kricketbo 25+ Posts

Pretty frightening for a daughter wanting to go to UT more than anything. She won't even look at other letters from other schools that come in. We are out of state, she is in upper 6 % of grad class, all honors classes, over a 4.0 (because of honors courses), and good leadership qualifications and recs from a few higher ups in the Austin area........what do you think her chances are???

18. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

Kricketbo,

How many in her class? I know if you go to the UT website you can see statistics of those admitted last year. Try that out.

19. Kricketbo

Kricketbo 25+ Posts

375 in her class.. thanks for the info, i'll try that and see.

20. chance johnson

chance johnson 100+ Posts

Kricketbo, on the surface, I like her chances.

21. KaspaUT

KaspaUT 25+ Posts

Kricket - if she's in the top 6%, she's automatically in.

22. The Three I's

The Three I's 25+ Posts

Kaspa, the top 10% doesn't apply to out of state students.

23. Kricketbo

Kricketbo 25+ Posts

This is true.....top 10% is not the only thing they look at. There are other requirements, such as extra math and science, as well as leadership abilities and programs they have been involved in, as well as GPA, test scores, and possibly who you know!!! Ugh, this is a kid who bleeds burnt orange that was born in Okie.......how irionic it is!

24. hookmom

hookmom 25+ Posts

That's OK..My son was a born New Yorker..Now he's firmly enconsed in Texas life. The only thing he doesn't like is biscuits and gravy..but then again...he gets the biscuits and gravy at Jester..maybe there is better in Austin!

Hook 'em!

25. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

He shouldn't judge biscuits and gravy by what he gets at Jester! They're awesome when done right.

26. dolemite

dolemite < 25 Posts

Kricketbo - I wouldn't worry about it. Admission to UT is not quite as difficult as many like to believe. With her grades, as long as she's got decent SAT scores she'll be fine.

27. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

UT looks a lot at SAT scores, its sad but true, the only really read essay look at class rank and SAT scores. I know this because most of my school applied there and this is the what the class has figured out by people who have gotten in and ppl you got cat program where you go to UTSA(or other UT school) for a year and if you have a 3.0 GPA you can transfer. Alos, there seems to be more emphasis on SAT score than class rank example:
    kid #1 3.7 GPA 1210 SAT- cat program
    kid #2 2.7 GPA 1450 SAT- got in but summer session required
    kid#3 3.2 GPA 1370 SAT got in

it also depends on which school within the university you are applying to, liberal arts undeclared is good to apply to and so is natural science undeclared to make sure you get in, then you can just switch majors

28. Drew99

Drew99 < 25 Posts

Kricketbo - when did she apply, and what is her current admissions status?

It's odd she hasn't received any admissions notification yet from the University. I remember receiving my acceptance letter within 2-3 weeks back in '99. The deadline was Feb 1.

29. Kricketbo

Kricketbo 25+ Posts

Drew......I didn't mean to make it appear she was a Sr in HS. She's just a soph, but has taken the ACT twice. She takes the SAT in May for the first time, but has started this early trying to up her chances by figuring out what it takes to get in. We were in Austin this past week, went to the scrimmage, visited the campus, and she did not want to leave and come back here. Her heart is set on becoming a Longhorn........so we'll be sweating it out the next two years. Wish her luck! (Does being beautiful help any???? =) j/k!

30. The Three I's

The Three I's 25+ Posts

Move to Texas.