It’s kinda crowded atop the Big 12

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by giveemhell, May 14, 2023.

1. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

The final weekend should be interesting. Conference records below in parenthesis; all series begin Thursday evening (5/18).

1. West Virginia (15-6) at Texas
    2. Okie State (13-8) at Oklahoma
    3. Texas (12-9) vs West Virginia
    4. K-State (12-9) vs TCU

• Hot Hot x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

ou sweep and late 1 run losses, here and there I cannot remember. HORNS could be in a much better position than this....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Team can see what they need to do - a sweep of WVa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WorsterMan

Pardon my hubris.... until this season I did not know WV University had a team or played college baseball !?

Regardless of my UPHAULING ignorance, I suspect the Horns will need a sweep & some help re regular season title!!

Big XII Tournament results could help make up some lost ground......

If not they will get second tier in Regional settings.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  5. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

And over across the Sabine the "invincible" LSU Tigers have lost 2 series in a row as Miss Aggie beats them 14-13 Sunday afternoon..........up 13-4 at one point the craptastic bullpen imploded for the 2nd day in a row.........they have 2 starters Skenes and Floyd and thats it..........they wont go far with that kind of pitching.

• Hot Hot x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Fortunately, there's absolutely no comparison with us. I have no idea what that would be like. Must be frustrating to their fans...

:rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1:

(Actually, we have a number of good relievers, and quite a few average ones. It just seems that our pen has that knack for giving away games that we've seemingly already won. I guess there's a lot of that going on in the college baseball world.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. WorsterMan

Horns, time to step up your game... every game really matters now!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Yes please!

9. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

The plot thickens. Updated records for the top 4 teams and current status of their respective weekend series:

1.West Virginia (15-8); 0-2 at Texas
    2.Okie State (14-9); 1-1 at Oklahoma
    3.Texas (14-9); 2-0 vs West Virginia
    4.K-State (13-10); 1-1 vs TCU

Tomorrow’s game vs the Mountaineers is essentially a conference championship game (for at least a share of the title).

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Outside of the 0-3 start to the season and at least 3 WTF conference games, Texas would likely be a top 8 seed. Maybe we get lucky in our seeding.

11. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

So Texas secured a share of the Big 12 title, but the Cowboys are cruising against the Sooners (up 9-1 in the bottom of the 7th). Assuming they also take a share of the title, who gets the #1 seed in the B12 tournament and why?

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Apparently Texas gets the no. 1 seed due to tiebreakers. You are free to look it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Okie State wins, so it’s a 3-way tie for the title. I’m still waiting for one of the baseball nerds here to explain the tie-breaker to me. :smile1:

14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

We are all 3 co-champions but we get the #1 seed in the conference tourney as we won our series with OkST and WVU.

• Hot Hot x 1
  15. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

That would make sense, Phil, except that Okie State took our series 2-1

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. VulcanHorn

VulcanHorn 100+ Posts

Actually, in the event of a 3-way tie, the combined win-loss records between the other 2 teams is ranked. Texas went 4-2 against WV (3-0) & OSU (1-2). OSU went 3-3 against UT (2-1) and WV (1-2). WV went 2-4 against UT (0-3) and OSU (2-1).

- baseball nerd
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Thank you VulcanHorn for the clarification. I guess thats what Craig Way meant that I heard. He said something like 'we own the series record' against the other 2 teams.

18. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Excellent, concise explanation, VulcanHorn, you most logical baseball nerd. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Just a quick little question...

Consider all those repetitive little rituals batters do before the pitcher winds up--are those logical?

:beertoast: