Jai Lucas (PG) to decide Sunday night...

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by EJC+1, Dec 27, 2008.

1. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

...according to RCS Sports (Jim Hicks).
    The Link

BurntOrangeBeat reports that Texas is strongly in the mix ($$$)
    The Link

IMO, Lucas is a slightly better PG version of AJ Abrams. Lucas isn't quite the high volume 3 point shooter that AJ is, but he does have a good offensive game. IMO, his PG skills are a little better than AJ's...a little better floor leader, passer, vision, etc.

On the downside, Lucas may be actually smaller than AJ...5-10-ish around 160 lbs. He'll definitely benefit from Todd Wright if he chooses Texas.

He averaged close to 9 ppg and 2.3 assists as a freshman at Florida, so the kid is good enough to play D1...and he was a McD's AA. However, Nick Calathes beat him out at the PG position, and Florida moved him over to SG. Lucas wanted to play the point and Florida let him go freely.

Gary Johnson and Lucas played on the same AAU team, so there's a connection there. Texas is hurting at the PG position, so landing Lucas could help alleviate things. Lucas and Balbay could make a good tandem at that position while allowing Mason to slide back over to his natural 2 guard spot.

2. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I guess the scholarship issues will work themselves out.

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

4. Bob in Houston

No, I think he was that tall. Texas lists guys at their height without shoes.

5. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

I'm pretty sure if he picks Texas, J'Covan Brown is no longer an option. That Texas is even seriously interested in Lucas might mean that it's already happened.

6. Bob in Houston

The Link

Jeff Goodman list, as of 12/17, has Arkansas, Baylor, Kentucky, Rice and Texas on his list.

7. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Based on the BurntOrangeBeat article, I'll be shocked if Jai Lucas announces for any school other than Texas. There isn't a site more clued into Texas basketball than that one.

I find it irritating, but whatever.

8. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

SL....Correct me if I'm wrong...Did you say you hoped Lucas would not consider us when it was first announced he was leaving Florida? If so could you repeat those reasons.

I remember two years ago everyone thought it was ridiculous that Lucas got the McD's AA nod over Johnson and felt it was all political.

I don't really know anything about the kid but I'm curious as to where he will fit into Texas should he come here.

9. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Well, understand I think Texas is very close to competing for national championships. I don't think Jai Lucas gets them closer to that --- just like I don't think having AJ Abrams as the most important player does anything in that regard this year.

Short, slight players with limited athleticism don't exactly get me excited. Jai Lucas is a horrible defender. He's also not exactly a lights out point guard. He's fine as far as it goes, but he's going to get a team beat so much on the other end, and IMO he's not good enough on offense to make up for it.

What he will give the team is a primary ballhandler who can consistently hit the outside shot. I'm not as excited about that quality as other people will be, but to each their own.

Frankly, as far as shorter PGs go, I'd much rather have Tommy Mason-Griffin or Phil Pressey than Jai Lucas, and it's not even close. Those guys will be able to break down defenses much better than Jai Lucas can, they're better defensively, and they're much more athletic.

I will say this. He's a very good academic fit, and his bloodlines are outstanding. He's a solid player in many ways. If I knew it was possible to play him 5-10 minutes per game throughout his career, and everyone would be happy, I could get behind it. But that's not how this is going to go down.

He's eligible mid-semester next year. By then, Texas will have worked out a rotation between Mason, Ward, Balbay, and Bradley. Where is Lucas going to get his minutes? Personally, I think it's a clusterfuck, but we'll see. And I get to watch two more years of it after that as Texas brings in guys like Thompson, Bejarano, and whoever else joins them. Yay.

10. longhornmatt

longhornmatt 25+ Posts

If we don't bring in Lucas and if we really aren't looking to sign a PG in the 2010 class, then Balbay will be the only PG on the roster in the 2010-2011 season. That is shaky enough as it is, and if Bradley goes pro after one season (which I don't expect, but it's not out of the realm of possibility), then we are in real trouble. It would be a shame to waste Tristan Thompson like that.

I don't think Lucas is an elite player, and he's actually not the type of guy I would prefer to play PG in Barnes' offense (we need guys who can penetrate if we are going to insist on running the pick and roll/pop all the time). However, he is easily a better player than Balbay despite his size issues. Balbay is a decent option as a backup because of his defense and hustle, but he doesn't break down a defense any better than Lucas and he is basically a complete non-factor on offense.

I would have preferred for us to recruit a stud PG in the 2010 class, but I also don't see how the program is taking a step back (as you said on the other thread) by upgrading the talent at a position where we are thin.

11. orangeblood83

orangeblood83 25+ Posts

12. skymonkeyhorn

skymonkeyhorn 100+ Posts

First off let me say that I have never been a Lucas fan. I am also not a fan for signing short (under 6') and thin/weak players unless that player is similar to TJF /atitude and a takeover PG.

When we start looking at guard play for next year remember that Ward ran as a PG, Bradley played SG but has the handle and ability to be a PG. He ran the offense 40%-45% when he played with Gaddy. He is a slasher and breaks down offenses well, passes well , out of sight defender that does score alot.

Dog is a true pass first PG who will get better every game that he plays in, over the summer he will get tested every open gym if TJ, DJ, KD, Ivey return. Will he get better,IMO yes 10%-20% ?? But better..

Mason will continue to be our 2nd option at PG but will split time at the SG. If he ever starts to dribble drive and pass he will be a force to deal with.

Hamilton has a great handle and we will see him help out bringing up the ball and breaking down offenses.

Bradley, Hamilton, Williams handle well and create well,pass great.

Thompson is a 4-3 slot type of guy with a decent handle, the kid from NM is a slasher and great in an open court, handle is very good, could play the PG but is better suited as a 2-3 type of player.

Not only will we be better as a team but the talent level increase as well, we will be deep in the 1-2-3-4 slots with the combination of players on board for the next couple of years.

There are 3-4 better ,complete PG's available in the next two years. The kid I am sold on and have seen play 4-5 times is little Ray McCollum (sp) who is playing now in Michigan and his dad is coach of Wester Michigan I think. Very good PG
    6-1/ 6' 2 around 175lbs and strong , strong defender, pass first but can score when you need it.
    Kabongo is the real thing as the PG, size, ability, handle, passes first, scores, takes it upon himself not to let his team get defeated, like TJ used to do.
    IMO the Pg will be fine for the next couple of years.

13. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Was the talk of J'Covan coming in premature?

14. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

It seems that way.

15. Bob in Houston

smh... McCallum is the coach at Detroit. I think his son is going to Country Day.

16. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

17. orangeblood83

orangeblood83 25+ Posts

18. BRAGGonUT

BRAGGonUT 25+ Posts

He will be committing to Texas but he is not on the air yet.

The show started a few minutes ago.

19. ruidosomike

ruidosomike 100+ Posts

Whether Lucas commits or not, there is an embarassment of riches in talent for this program. Thank you Coach Barnes. [​IMG]

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy < 25 Posts

we got him.

21. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

22. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

Possible silly question, but I'm assuming this is John Lucas' kid. Is there anyway he walks on, since I imagine they are doing pretty well, and it saves us a scholarship?

23. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

Nice knowing you J'Covan Brown?

24. UT wildcatter

UT wildcatter 100+ Posts

25. JJxvi

JJxvi 100+ Posts

Mostly because of the recruiting process. You have to recruit a kid all along in a certain way (ie no official visit paid by the school, etc) in order for him to be a walk on.

26. ChemHORN

ChemHORN 100+ Posts

Mason as a shooting guard? Could've fooled me. As for his abilities on offense he has some but refuses to use them. Balbay is ok but once again he refuses to do anything on offense. I think this is a decent if not great add because our guard play outside of Abrams is terrible right now. Mason stands around and waits on the ball then just passes it away. Doesn't move off the ball, doesn't drive and kick. He is good for one good layup a game but outside a good game at Maui he has done nothing on offense. His skills on the D side of the ball can't be denied but we need some guards that can produce more on offense, even more so next year when Abrams is gone.

27. ghost

ghost 500+ Posts

I have seen Jai several times the last few weeks, most recently at the Rice/OU game at Tudor Fieldhouse. If I see him at the Madison/Bellaire game on Friday, I will see if I can get in a word or two.

The elder Lucas (not JL3, but pops) is all over the place here in Houston. He just held a camp this past Saturday for the top 8th graders and will be a lot more active come spring time with camps, draft workouts, etc. I didn't get a chance to go to the camp this past Saturday, but I did attend his SW Invitational Camp last year, which was good. I plan to attend again this year.

Chronicle Link on transfer:The Link

28. PoopOnStoops2008

PoopOnStoops2008 25+ Posts

29. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

30. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts