J'Covan Brown

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by UTperks, Jan 22, 2008.

1. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Well, I don't know the particulars in every case.

In this one, though, J'Covan's AAU coach was Chris Walker. Walker is a former Villanova player who came back to head the adidas affiliated TMac All Stars AAU team for several years. He's been angling for a college coaching job for a while. Finally this past offseason he got one at New Mexico with Steve Alford, and has proceeded to bring in 4 of his current or past AAU players in this first recruiting class.

Henderson is Chris Walker's protege. Henderson has been involved in AAU coaching in the past, but a couple of years ago was named the head coach for Port Arthur Memorial in one of the most stupefying coaching hires I've ever been familiar with. J'Covan transferred from Beaumont Kelly to Port Arthur Memorial after his freshman season, so for the last couple of years he's played his high school ball with Henderson, and his AAU ball with Chris Walker, as well as on a team run by his Dad based out of Port Arthur. I think it's called Port Arthur Select, but I can't remember exactly.

When Walker left for New Mexico, the idea was to give his position to Henderson to keep the pipeline open, but adidas decided to go in a different direction, and will merge the Houston Select and Tmac organizations together, with David Salinas and Martin Fox in charge. So Henderson has been frozen out for now.

I don't know all the particulars with each school, but I do know one of them had a booster offer a couple of people involved in the recruitment over $100,000 per year to fund an AAU program for as long as J'Covan Brown played for their school. I doubt the figures from other places were so high, but there's no doubt in my mind something was being promised somewhere.

2. woodog

woodog < 25 Posts

appreicate the insight

3. woodog

woodog < 25 Posts

appreciate the insight

4. j.e.s.-U.S.

j.e.s.-U.S. 100+ Posts

All I can say is that I am not really surprised yet somehow it still amazes me. This stuff just fascinates me and I really appreciate all this background information you guys have shared. SL... I feel like you could easily write a book with all the inside info you got. Seriously, great stuff! I really hope that Barnes and the rest of the team/coaching staff can help this kid out on his journey through life. [​IMG]

5. horngrad03

horngrad03 250+ Posts

6. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Yes, that's for real. From what I understand they've since made up, but yes, choosing Miami over A&M led to Eric Winston being kicked out of his house by his stepfather.

7. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I had no idea that he hasn't signed a letter yet. If he's working out with BJ Tyler that seems to be a good sign, since he said he wants to follow in his footsteps.

I really hope he qualifies and makes it to Austin. Sometimes a change of scenery can mean all the difference in the world.

Brownout

8. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

the Chris Walker stuff is wild, but that's who Alfred has made his bed with. I imagine that could end badly, but as Bliss proved, you can get away with quite a bit isolated out at UNM.

9. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

SL,

Eurey, up in Dallas, who has been in his program? I ask because I think I remember a poster on a BU board saying our team's relationship with his is pretty good. Jazzy Hartwell? not so good (DA, etc)

10. PATEXAS

PATEXAS < 25 Posts

SL, you make some good points. TH, like we both said, is probably as sneeky as they come. I just hope JB or somebody sit down with him and let him know, that basketball doesn't need him, he needs basketball. His talent is unmatched, his heart and passion on the court is unmatched and like you said, nobody at Texas is going to put up with this. And when he finds himself on the outside looking in, it's hard to get back in..

11. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

Henderson once called a last minute, mandatory Sunday practice in order to cause J'Covan to miss an official visit to Texas.

12. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

13. UTperks

UTperks 25+ Posts

I feel for J'Covan. When High School sports go bad its just something you end up having to live through. He didn't help having a fiery personality but now he is better off just staying away from the situation and looking forward to a fresh start in college.
    I have experience having gone through something similar with my kid.
    Time will pass and hopefully he matures quickly.

His skill got him in the door now he needs to mature to stay on a good path.

Heres to J'Covan rising above it all. HOOK'EM!

14. OUsucksATMblows

OUsucksATMblows 250+ Posts

kevwun,

If that's true (which I don't doubt) then he broke UIL rules which stipulate that public schools can't practice on Sundays. What pisses me off is that the UIL doesn't go after these kinds of coaches with more ferocity. They need to make an example of some of these type coaches and get rid of them from HS sports.

15. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

IcyHotStunta,

thanks, I was confused, obviously, so I'm glad to hear we're avoiding that guy.

we have some internal things in our athletic program in regards to hoops to hopefully prevent another Bliss fiasco.

16. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

Is Kevin Rogers not a product of Jazzy Hartwell's AAU team?

17. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Yes. Kevin Rogers played AAU for Jazzy Hartwell.

Baylor is actually in real good with James Mays, the SOC coach who was recently discovered to use a player who didn't attend class to help win his title in '06.

He didn't deliver Darrell Arthur, but it wasn't through a lack of trying. Baylor was one cancelled press conference and an alleged overnight dream away from landing Arthur.

It's true that Hartwell doesn't appear to be a good friend of the Baylor program, however.

18. elzzup

elzzup < 25 Posts

SLX you mean Mitch Malone with Texas Blue Chips. The coach for the Dallas Mustangs (Tony Johnson) is a ok guy.

19. elzzup

elzzup < 25 Posts

As always SLX is correct on all fronts.

BTW- Henderson has been cursed out by other players yet they continue to play. (J'Covan Buckner for one) hmmmmmmm isn't that strange.