Jerky recipe...

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by TXbigdog, Jul 10, 2011.

1. TXbigdog

TXbigdog 25+ Posts

I need a good jerky recipe. I searched the site, but what I found took so long to load I gave up and decided to start a topic. I have done jerky before (used the dehydrator) and want to get into it again, but the old memory isn't serving its purpose. Thanks in advance.

2. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

I usually just use a 50/50 marinade of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce for mild and add red pepper flakes for spicy. Let it soak overnight and then hang in the oven for 8 hours at the lowest setting.

3. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I have made a bunck of jerky. How spicy and hot do you like it?

I have used strips of meats and ground meats extruded from a jerky shooter. The ground stuff is surprisingly good and avoids the mandatory flossing afterwards, but I can understand if you are reluctant. It kinda doesn't seem right if you are used to buying jerky that hangs from a cotton string at a convenience stor in East Podunk.

4. TXbigdog

TXbigdog 25+ Posts

The wife and I like it spicy (the jerky, that is). I guess the quickest way would be the oven, but I've always used the dehydrator. The main thing I can't remember is what marinade I came up with, lol. Just curious as to what marinades you would concoct and time in the dehydrator.

5. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I will try to dig up some recipes, but I will warn you that habanero and cayenne are staples.

6. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

worcestershire 45%
    soy 40%
    liquid smoke 5%
    tobasco 10%

have butcher cut roast into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
    pound down with meat hammer (on bumpy side) and soak overnight.

7. TXbigdog

TXbigdog 25+ Posts

^^^^That's more like what I remember I did for the marinade. Anyway, gonna give it the ol' college try and see what happens. Thanks again. [​IMG]

8. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

my wife is pregnant and in one of her odd cravings, wanted some beef jerky. So, I went back to this thread and concocted a marinade to try to use with some of your suggestions.

Other than me leaving the beef in the oven a bit too long, it turned out great. I used a top round / London broil cut. Is there a better cut of meat to use next time?