Johan to Mets

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by hookemcmw, Jan 29, 2008.

1. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

2. Rockinghorse

Rockinghorse 250+ Posts

This is similar to when Randy Moss went to the Patriots, except he needs to stay healthy for 162+ games, not 16+. And they're still not likely better than whoever the AL champ will be. But the NL is the Mets' to lose.

3. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I'm extremely happy the Sox aren't giving up Lester, Ellsbury, Lowrie, and the rest of the farm to get him.

I'm even happier he's going to the NL.

4. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

[Braves fan]fudge![/Braves fan] [​IMG]

5. HookemHrns03

HookemHrns03 100+ Posts

Love this deal for the Mets, but they still have holes in the rotation and (especially) the bullpen. That bullpen is all kinds of bad. They've got to be the frontrunners in the NL now, though.

6. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

7. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

Glad he's not going to Boston, but was really hoping he'd end up in the Bronx.

8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

i'm just glad he's out of the american league but i did like watching him pitch.

9. Roy4President

Roy4President 100+ Posts

Sigh.
    I was just getting over the KG trade too.

10. Titan

Titan 100+ Posts

11. Titan

Titan 100+ Posts

6 years / $137.5M

The Santana deal is done. I don't follow the NL that much, but I really wonder if this gives the Mets what they need to get over the hump and get to the WS. There's no guarantee that Pedro Martinez or Orlando Hernandez will be healthy the entire season...is a consistent rotation of Santana, Maine and Perez enough?

12. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

13. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

You think Hick$ and the Rangers made a serious play for him? Hell no, they are busy trying to move the deck chairs by signing up a retired pitcher who cannot help them on the field.... the great Nolan Ryan, to help in the office [​IMG]

Why is it Cuban and Jones will spend money and trade players to make their team a contender and Hicks want to pinch pennies and one-third fill a stadium?

15. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

There are no guarantees, but he could be even better (Cy Young this year, #1 fantasy baseball pick, etc?)

1) first year in NL where they have to get used to his nasty changeup
    2) has a better defense behind him
    3) is playing on grass not turf (cheap groundballs stay heap groundballs on grass
    4) gets to face a pitcher (and not a DH) 3 or so times a game
    5) Shea is a better pitcher's park than the metrodome.
    6) The NL is inferior right now (He gets to pitch against the Pirates, Marlins, Nationals, and Giants--none of these teams are good offensive clubs)
    7) He does not have to pitch against the Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees, and Indians--all of which are going to be superb offensive teams

His record: 23-6, 2.13 ERA