Joseph to Spurs

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Branyon, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

That's a great program and a great place to be a young player. Good luck to him.

2. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Wow, three players in the first round. No wonder we had such a successful year.

3. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

Shocked. Wonder if he had a guarantee from them.

4. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

I am not sure I would be more shocked if they had drafted me with that pick.

5. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Third Coast. At mid-season we had one of the best and strongest basketball teams around the past few years. Save for the UConn loss, the Horns went weeks when they not only won, they crushed their opponents. Unfortunately, they could not bottle that up for the tournament.

The problem was that opponents figured out that we ran a 4 person offense when Balbay was in and Barnes would not allow Brown (a head case) to take his minutes. Joseph lost his shot after mid-season, likely due to fatigue. Also, I think Barnes overtrained the team on defense and ran them down in practice - they looked worn out and a bit dispirited the last three weeks of the season.

Barnes should have lightened up a bit and let the youngsters have a bit more fun on offense.

That team was damn good and the three draft picks played great together when they were rolling. The team was a thing of beauty for several weeks and far exceeded expectations considering the losses from the previous year.

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Joseph has a good overall game with tons of upside. I'm surprised that people on this board thought he shouldn't go at all.

7. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

8. Third Coast

It was George Hill that got traded and I'm not real pleased about that. I imagine Joseph will get some of Hill's minutes.

9. Third Coast

10. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

Congrats to Cory. [​IMG]

11. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

As a big Spurs fan, I hated to see George Hill go. He really found a home here, and he will be missed.

Corey hit it big time. He's got a lot to learn, but he has Tony and Manu to learn from. Not bad. [​IMG]

12. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I am also aprehensive about the Hill trade.

13. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I am assuming the Spurs are looking at Joseph as a possible future PG for them?

14. HornTYS

HornTYS 100+ Posts

I was one of those that thought Joseph made a huge mistake by coming out. He could have improved his stock a TON had he stayed in. The Hill trade is a bit baffling, as I thought he was ready to take the reigns from Parker.

The spurs know what they're doing and I wish Cory well.

The Spurs themselves can suck it, though!

Go Rockets!

15. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

This must have been a pre-draft promise because it always baffled me why CJ came out and was a projected mid to late 2nd rounder (and possibly undrafted). But he will guaranteed money and is with a good organization. I hope it works out for him, but still not real happy that he "used" my program for a year and we basically have nothing to show for his time at UT.

16. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

George Hill was a fan favorite and from what I hear and read, he's taking the trade very hard. Despite all the talk about Tony being traded, I didn't think, deep down, the Spurs would deal him.

For the Spurs, the guard position is a relative strength. Objectively, Parker and Hill presented attractive trade value.

The forward position, on the other hand, underachieved especially on the defensive side of the ball. Putting Tim aside, Richard Jefferson was inconsistent, and that's being charitable. Bonner provides offensive spark off the bench, but not much else. Tiago gave little offense, but some flashes of defensive potential in the paint. He's still closer to project than anything else, although a year in Pop's system should pay off next season.

The Spurs selected Kawhi Leonard with the hope to mold him into a Bruce Bowen-type defensive player. With Tony and Manu tasked with delivering offense, Leonard, hopefully, brings some youth, grit, and defense, values the Spurs are known for.

Time will tell, but the Spurs have a strong record of identifying and evaluating talent - George Hill being a good example. George will be missed.

17. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Alexis Wangmene might have had a hand in that pick.

18. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

As a Spurs fan from their first game I did not see Hill as ready to take over the point. I like him a lot but he did have a penchant for mental mistakes and missed shots at inopportune moments. Parker has that position nailed down for at least four more years and it was probably the best value for the money to trade Hill.

19. Pitter09

Pitter09 250+ Posts

The difference between pick #25 and pick #40 is negligible in that draft. Spurs picked for need and have usually had a good track record in evaluating talent. I trust they see something in Cory that makes this a sensible pick. Truthfully, you just can't find sure fire talent in the draft after the first handful of picks and the occasional sleeper. Cory has some intangibles they liked... he's a "Spurs"-type player. I hope it turns out to be another steal.

20. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

But a pick in the first round makes all the difference to the draftee because that is guranteed money.