Judge Roberts changed his mind. Hmmm.

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by UTChE96, Jul 2, 2012.

1. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

2. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

3. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Come on Michtex, you are telling me that nothing appears unusual here. Obviously nothing can be proven but that's no reason not to muse about it.

4. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Why is it ironic that Kennedy was leading the charge?

I'm guessing that Roberts didn't want to be associated in the history books with Scalia et al (but mostly Scalia) on this opinion. And after the recent AZ immigration decision and Scaliia's dissent in the ACA, I think Roberts made the right decision.

5. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

How does one go about "intimidating" a Supreme Court Justice who is appointed for life? Hurt his feelings in the paper?

6. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

7. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

8. UT1986

UT1986 500+ Posts

9. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

We elected a Chicago politician as POTUS. Elections have consequences. We need more intelligent people in this country to pay attention to what is happening.

10. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Whrrrrrzzz.....pppleekkkrrllkkkk.......bbbzzzzpppazz.....cchhchssssooooshhhhhhh......Is anyone out there.........bbzzzzzzzzttttzz.....anyone?

11. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

I have no doubt that there were attempts to pressure the court. Heck that was done pretty publicly. That said, I'm glad they did not overturn the law. I'm tired of the court turning back the "will of the people" so for me to favor it in this case would be hypocritical. That said, I hope that Obamatax is swiftly repealed in January. It is just a huge and unnecessary overstep of government intrusion. One of the most ridiculous aspects of the entire law is the new restrictions placed on health savings accounts. Why the hell does the government now prefer people not to be responsible for their own expenses?

12. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

So even the thought of someone in the government intimidating another is too over the top for some of you on this board. Wow, just wow. I don't think we have to look too far back in history to find conspiracy or coverup in our government. I think the POTUS made his feelings known in a very public way what he thinks about SCOTUS. His State of the Union address is just one example, and his statement that overturning the healthcare law would be unprecedented would be another. Intimidation, sure, it happens.

13. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I am open to listening to a plausible explanation why a life long conservative judge would change his mind after oral arguments on such a black and white issue, break with his historical conservative views on government over-reach, and side with the four leftists on the bench. To me this entire episode has been surreal and irrational.

14. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

My sources tell me liberal brainwashers have seized Roberts' college-aged relatives and have threatened to program them to become members of a cult.

I've been lucky enough to obtain photographs. Below is one of the new adherents after brainwashing. I'm told this frightened the Justice very much:

[​IMG]

But it was this image of mass castration that made the man capitulate. I cannot blame him.

[​IMG]

He didn't know what this was:

[​IMG]

And he didn't ask.

15. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Lol. This is the best post yet. Maybe aliens coerced him?? Uh Uh Uh Please step back, please!!!!

16. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

That would explain why he yelled WHOOOOP! after the decision was read.

17. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

The theory of Robert's being concerned about his own legacy is more believable than this. I don't agree with it but this theory is worse than the 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

18. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Ah yes I forgot that senators and presidents dont have men killed.

19. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

I am of the opinion that Roberts may have single handedly handed Romney the Oval Office with his decision, perhaps he was the man willing to be the crossover for the Republican Party.

20. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

It's definitely politico fodder when conservative Chief Justice Roberts (appointed by George W Bush) sided with the Obama administration to impose mandatory health care. A few theories that I've read...
    1. Although Roberts was leaning towards voting it down, he ultimately figured Americans made their bed when they elected the President and Congress (who gave them the ACA), and decided to let them lie in it.
    2. As mentioned in the linked articles, this federal health care act steps into uncharted waters and Roberts didn't want the Supreme Court to become "activist" in striking it down.

Of course, it would be funnier if Roberts sat back and played iPhone games during the deliberations and then flipped a coin when it came time to vote.

21. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

22. Leftwith

Leftwith 500+ Posts

Radical leftists do not play fair or nice. (see Wisconsin) Considering this was the the Holy Grail for leftists, I would be SHOCKED if there were not overt threats and bribes made to Roberts. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I know it's a lot more fun and exciting to speculate that there's some big blackmail scheme at play or that the Chief Justice is a political coward (though as a federal judge, he has nothing to fear). However, does anyone think it's possible that he was truly just convinced on the merits to rule the way he did and simply got it wrong?

Cases don't always fit neatly into the ideological box, which is why even Scalia does not always follow the traditional conservative orthodoxy in his opinions. Furthermore, a judge isn't supposed to follow an ideology. He's supposed to follow the law. It's possible that Roberts simply bought the tax argument. I disagree with him and think his position is dangerous, but that doesn't mean he was intimidated or cowered into reaching his decision.

24. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Roberts should have known better than to show up for lunch when these guys asked him to stop by and discuss innovative ideas in "waste management"The Link
    [​IMG]

25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Radical leftists do not play fair or nice. (see Wisconsin) Considering this was the the Holy Grail for leftists, I would be SHOCKED if there were not overt threats and bribes made to Roberts.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah that's right. Lenin, Stalin and Pol Pot would have had no qualms about intimidating a Supreme Court Justice and you'd have to be better at differentiating shades of gray than Leftwith, Allen West or Sarah Palin to see how Obama is any different.

26. WhitmanSampler

WhitmanSampler 250+ Posts

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

But a tinfoil hat is never what it seems, if you know what I mean, wink wink, nudge nudge.

27. Leftwith

Leftwith 500+ Posts

Obama? A shade of gray? [​IMG]

28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Excuse me, I should have said "Reds". Hey is was 12 the last time anybody was trying to oust communist from American Government and even then the suspect was Henry Kissinger, who even at 12 I knew was certainly not a Red.

29. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Leftwith makes Palin look like a Supreme court justice. Don't insult her by comparing them

30. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

The explanation is pretty simple. Roberts woke up one morning with a horse's head in his bed and he changed his vote.